Do you want to share your thoughts?

tweety234

High Elder
Reaction score
Those of you who were something else before you became an Orthodox, and those of you who were once an Orthodox before you became something else. What exactly made you change? Did you not really believe in your previous denomination?

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Well my family's religious background is VERY odd and diverse. My maternal grandparents are lapsed Roman Catholics with strong Pentecostal undertones, my paternal grandfather was a Mormon from Utah--now an atheist, and my paternal grandmother is a lapsed Roman Catholic, somewhat irreligious now. Both of my parents were Roman Catholics at first--as are most Mexican-Americans--and I have a couple of really early memories of attending Mass when I was like 2 or 3 with my mother, maternal grandmother and sometimes father. Anyhoo, both my parents then lapsed and got caught up in the whole Evangelical "Jesus Freaks" hyper-emotional thing of the 1990s and became "non-denominational" Evangelical Protestants. That was pretty much my religious upbringing for about the next decade. When I hit about 11-13, I started highly questioning it--which, for some reason highly angered my parents who would force me to attend Church with them, take away any philosophical book I had and told me I would go to western Hell unless I stopped--this--along with the inconsistencies in Evangelical Protestantism--kinda turned me off to all Christianity in general, and I sorta became an atheist-pseudo Buddhist for the next year or two. My life was also getting pretty lousy at this time, my dad had lost his job and might have relapsed, my mom miscarried, my dog ran away, and the worst of all, we were going to be moving out of town and I was going to be separated from all of my friends.

When the phase finally ended due to my miserable situation, I started reading the Bible and praying to the Christian God with all my might--probably literally like hours every single day in tears, asking that He would move me back with all of my friends. Everyone doubted me and said I should get used to my new situation. Well, after about a year, my miracle came and my mother announced we were moving back. I went to open my Bible afterward and the first passage that came up was Matthew 15:28 which said "...Great is your faith! Let it be done as you desire!" and at that moment I officially decided to convert to Orthodoxy--due to the prompting and teachings that William on here--who was my friend from another forum at the time--had been giving me. Upon moving back to my hometown, I attended my first Orthodox Vespers the first Saturday I was back and just started attending the Church as much as possible until I was finally made a catechumen and was Baptised and received about a year or two later.

choy

Archon
Reaction score
tweety234 said:
Those of you who were something else before you became an Orthodox, and those of you who were once an Orthodox before you became something else. What exactly made you change? Did you not really believe in your previous denomination?
I believed everything Catholicism teaches until I learned more.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Ironically, my paternal grandfather has the most sense out of everyone in my family and he's the godless heathen.

Nathanael

High Elder
Reaction score
I was baptized as an infant in the orthodox church. But when I start to become a believer (18 years), I practiced it more in a protestant denomination and in a protestant way. It was especailly the lack of repentance, contrition of heart  and the "hidden man of the heart" in everyday life of a Protestant and this sort of pride, which arises out of it, which made my change much easier. I'm convinced, that when the true light of Christ shines in your heart, it shows the deepness of your sinfulness and it doesn't lead you that you may often think Christ and you're the best friends, so that you often enjoy to bask in the "spiritual" emotions. To see such a behaviour in many protestant denominations pushed me off, so it was more a change in my heart than a change in my mind.

Reaction score
I was brought up in a Greek Orthodox family who never knew anything else about other religions.

MY feelings since were from reading the gospels and listening with my heart to Jesus teachings, He said to convert the gentiles and the Greeks to his teachings, and go out and multiply , but if you go to a church that already believes in Jesus as your saviour you do not nee to be converted,IMHO.

This one upmanship among churches of Christians is not what Christ taught when he said love your nieghbor as yourself.

We need to love all christians as one Church.

Melodist

Archon
Reaction score
I used to not know the difference between denominations. Once I started asking what the differences were and finding real differences, I came to the conclusion that someone had to be right. That led me to Orthodoxy.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
My thoughts are already "thinking out loud" ...What I'm really thinking is private.

yeshuaisiam

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I'm gonna skip out on this one guys!

Christ is born!

We all rejoice in this.  ;)

Reaction score
Melodist said:
I used to not know the difference between denominations. Once I started asking what the differences were and finding real differences, I came to the conclusion that someone had to be right. That led me to Orthodoxy.
The righteous do not need Christ, he warned the pharisees , now we want to say our way.

◄  Matthew 9:13  ►

But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

Melodist

Archon
Reaction score
Sinful Hypocrite said:
Melodist said:
The righteous do not need Christ, he warned the pharisees , now we want to say our way.

◄  Matthew 9:13  ►

But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
What does that have do with what I wrote?

Reaction score
You put yourself above the other denominations.
He wants mercy, not sacrifice, or your denominational sacrifice.

You want to go to your church why?What is wrong with your neighbor the Catholic, or protestant.

You claim to have the right one.

I will go to any that are open and willing to pray to Jesus for salvation, although I am a baptized Greek orthodox.
I try love my neighbors church as my own if I am welcomed.

Christ told the disciples thus
Matthew 10
40“He who receives you receives me, and he who receives me receives the one who sent me. 41Anyone who receives a prophet because he is a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward, and anyone who receives a righteous man because he is a righteous man will receive a righteous man’s reward. 42And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward.”

We have to try is all I am saying to be loving to all Christians, and convert non-Christians,IMHO.

Melodist

Archon
Reaction score
Sinful Hypocrite said:
I don't put myself above anyone or anything.

Christ instituted a Church, not just a philosophy about being nice to each other.

You want to go to your church why?
Because it is the one Christ established and has best maintained His truth.

What is wrong with your neighbor the Catholic, or protestant.
My reasons for becoming Orthodox had nothing to do with judging the character of anyone else.

Everyone claims to have the right one.

I will go to any that are open and willing to pray to Jesus for salvation, although I am a baptized Greek orthodox.
Loving your neighbor doesn't mean accepting wrong beliefs as being true or pretending that denominational divisions don't exist.

Matthew 10
40“He who receives you receives me, and he who receives me receives the one who sent me. 41Anyone who receives a prophet because he is a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward, and anyone who receives a righteous man because he is a righteous man will receive a righteous man’s reward. 42And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward.”
He also said to love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength.

tweety234

High Elder
Reaction score
Sinful Hypocrite said:

You want to go to your church why?What is wrong with your neighbor the Catholic, or protestant.

Matthew 10

We have to try is all I am saying to be loving to all Christians, and convert non-Christians,IMHO.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
That is what I think too. I thought I was the only one, and I got despaired because I didn't have any company into this. Why are people so close minded.

Reaction score
Melodist said:
Sinful Hypocrite said:
I don't put myself above anyone or anything.

Christ instituted a Church, not just a philosophy about being nice to each other.

You want to go to your church why?
Because it is the one Christ established and has best maintained His truth.

What is wrong with your neighbor the Catholic, or protestant.
My reasons for becoming Orthodox had nothing to do with judging the character of anyone else.

Everyone claims to have the right one.

Loving your neighbor doesn't mean accepting wrong beliefs as being true or pretending that denominational divisions don't exist.

Matthew 10
He also said to love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength.
You said yours is best , because you are good enough to know that,Jesus said no one is good but God, and yet you claim judgement, go to your church but also remember salvation is a gift not from your church, But from God and Jesus said the one who claimed to be worthless was redeemed, not the one who said he knew best from worst.He who humbles himself. I would not tell anyone I have the best church, Here is why.

Luke 18
The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector

9To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable: 10“Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11The Pharisee stood up and prayed abouta himself: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

13“But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

14“I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

You said everyone says his is the right one, the man in the parable did not and neither do I , also Tweety agrees he knows not the right one.

I will forgive you as I hope I am forgiven my trespasses.

JESUS CHRIST ,SON OF GOD HAVE MERCY ON US .

Melodist

Archon
Reaction score
Sinful Hypocrite said:
You said everyone says his is the right one, the man in the parable did not and neither do I , also Tweety agrees he knows not the right one.
I don't see how believing that one's church teaches the truth somehow automatically means that person thinks they are a better person than everyone else. Just because I believe my Church teaches the truth does not mean that I claim to be better at following its teachings (which are Christ's teachings that were entrusted to it that it has faithfully passed down) and it does not mean that I deny my own personal sinfulness or need for repentance. Keep in mind both individuals in the parable went to the same place to pray to the same God and held the same religious beliefs (they were of the same "denomination"). If you're going to quote scripture, please keep it in context.