• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Doctor found guilty of murder in late-term abortions

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
A drop of justice in a sea of misery and death.

Doctor found guilty of murder in late-term abortions

PHILADELPHIA—
A Philadelphia abortion doctor was found guilty on Monday of murdering three babies during late-term abortions at a clinic serving low-income women.

Dr. Kermit Gosnell, 72, who ran the now-shuttered Women's Medical Society Clinic, faces the possibility of the death penalty in the case that focused on whether the infants were born alive and then killed.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-abortion-doctor-verdict-20130513,0,6359413.story

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
This is quite close to where I live.  The facts of what happened are horrific.

Lord, have mercy.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:

Lord, have mercy.
From what I have heard of this case, the facts are such that if I were on the jury, I could probably support imposing the death penalty for this monster.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Maria said:
Let us pray that the guy repents.
I'll pray for that, but I sure won't hold my breath.

My wife tells me that he looked absolutely shocked when he heard the verdict, as if he assumed he would get away with what he's done.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
It's sickening.  The way the babies were left for hours screaming, until someone came to snip their spines is horrific.  Just sick.

I wonder what his motivations were.  Was it all for money, or was there some sadistic pleasure in taking as many innocent lives as he could?

...and the staff...who claim they only did what they were told....really?  Since when do we blindly do what we are told, knowing it's the wrong thing to do?  Disgusting lot!

Lord, have mercy on all involved.

jwinch2

Reaction score
Achronos said:
Sick stuff for sure.
You aren't kidding.  When I first heard about this I was almost sick to my stomach.  I have deliberately avoided the trial, etc. until today as I simply cannot take it.  How someone can see this and not believe that there is evil in the world is beyond my understanding. He's in for an uncomfortable prison sentence, and barring a miracle, an even less comfortable meeting with our Blessed Lord. 

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
J Michael said:
TheTrisagion said:

Lord, have mercy.
From what I have heard of this case, the facts are such that if I were on the jury, I could probably support imposing the death penalty for this monster.
Is he a monster?  I was under the impression he was a human.

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
If the death penalty is ever justifiable, then this man deserves it.

#1Sinner

Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:
J Michael said:
TheTrisagion said:

Lord, have mercy.
You are under the wrong impression, sorry.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
William said:
So you can't have an abortion, but you can execute the post-born.

Interesting.

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
biro said:
William said:

Interesting.
According to Gosnell, anyways.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
#1Sinner said:
JamesRottnek said:
J Michael said:
TheTrisagion said:

Lord, have mercy.
So I guess the Orthodox Church threw out all that "I am the Chief of Sinners" stuff after I left?

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
William said:
biro said:
William said:

Interesting.
According to Gosnell, anyways.
An eye for an eye...

But I can't imagine snipping a spinal cord on a live baby.

Sends me chills.

#1Sinner

Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:
#1Sinner said:
JamesRottnek said:
J Michael said:
TheTrisagion said:

Lord, have mercy.
So I guess the Orthodox Church threw out all that "I am the Chief of Sinners" stuff after I left?
I speak for myself. Quit with the holier than thou act. The man decapitated babies for a living. Sure he is human but I think the moniker of "monster" is apt.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
#1Sinner said:
JamesRottnek said:
#1Sinner said:
JamesRottnek said:
J Michael said:
TheTrisagion said:

Lord, have mercy.
I speak for myself. Quit with the holier than thou act. The man decapitated babies for a living. Sure he is human but I think the moniker of "monster" is apt.
But aren't you the "#1Sinner"?

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:
#1Sinner said:
JamesRottnek said:
#1Sinner said:
JamesRottnek said:
J Michael said:
TheTrisagion said:

Lord, have mercy.

Punch

Taxiarches
Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:
J Michael said:
TheTrisagion said:

Lord, have mercy.
Sanctimonious rot at its best.  Yes, he is a human monster that should be executed in the same manner as those he killed.  I make NO apology for that feeling.  But then again, I can understand where you are coming from - a religious organization with no discernible moral code.

#1Sinner

Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:
#1Sinner said:
JamesRottnek said:
#1Sinner said:
JamesRottnek said:
J Michael said:
TheTrisagion said:
This is quite close to where I live.  The facts of what happened are horrific.

Lord, have mercy.
Is he a monster?  I was under the impression he was a human.
I was recently promoted to #2 behind this guy.  :angel:

#1Sinner

Reaction score
Punch said:
JamesRottnek said:
J Michael said:
TheTrisagion said:

Lord, have mercy.
Sanctimonious rot at its best.  Yes, he is a human monster that should be executed in the same manner as those he killed.  I make NO apology for that feeling.  But then again, I can understand where you are coming from - a religious organization with no discernible moral code.
This

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:
Is he a monster?  I was under the impression he was a human.
All humans are monsters; some of us just more so than others.

biro said:
According to the good doctor, it appears so.

In reality, I find myself indifferent to the death penalty; I wouldn't wish it on others, however, I also wouldn't feel any remorse if someone like Dr. Gosnell faced it anymore than I would if some idiot accidently shot himself or some dare devil's parachute malfunctioned while skydiving and he landed looking like a pancake. He knew the risk involved in what he was doing and the way the law worked, why feel any remorse for him? It's not like anyone forced him to murder those infants, he was in his right mind and he was old enough to make his own decisions. Besides, the way I see it is that execution is FAR more humane than keeping a human locked in a cage for the rest of their life. I'd much rather take a bullet to the brain if I screwed up as badly as him than to rot in prison forever.

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Punch said:
JamesRottnek said:
J Michael said:
TheTrisagion said:

Lord, have mercy.
That the position of this Church, stated at the 62nd General Convention of the Church in Seattle in 1967 which declared support for the "termination of pregnancy" particularly in those cases where "the physical or mental health of the mother is threatened seriously, or where there is substantial reason to believe that the child would be born badly deformed in mind or body, or where the pregnancy has resulted from rape or incest" is reaffirmed. Termination of pregnancy for these reasons is permissible.
http://www.episcopalarchives.org/cgi-bin/acts/acts_resolution.pl?resolution=1976-D095

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:
I never accepted that crap in the first place  ;) I mean, don't get me wrong. I've screwed up, lusted, lost my temper and stuff, but I don't think an average-joe sinner like me holds a candle to someone like this guy.

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
Punch said:
If you mean to imply that the Orthodox Church substitutes Baal and Ares for Christ, whereas the Anglican Church does not, I would have to disagree.

A lot of people really enjoyed reading this story about the bad doctor. They got to feel outrage, which is one of the most pleasurable emotions a human being can experience. Quite the endorphin high. Really makes you feel on top of the world.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
A lot of people really enjoyed reading this story about the bad doctor. They got to feel outrage, which is one of the most pleasurable emotions a human being can experience. Quite the endorphin high. Really makes you feel on top of the world.
Where you one of those people?

I know I was.

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
Alveus Lacuna said:
NicholasMyra said:
Where you one of those people?

I know I was.
To an extent. Not proud of it. Don't think we should change the faith to accommodate it.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
To an extent. Not proud of it. Don't think we should change the faith to accommodate it.
I have a real aversion to violence, and I think that I could probably personally execute this man if I was called on by God and country.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Christ is risen!
I wonder how much the usual media report this verdict, seeing how much they avoided mentioning the trial.  I'm really interested how much they would have shouted from the rooftops if he was acquitted.

lovesupreme

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Indeed, He is risen!

That Dr. Gosnell was surprised by the verdict is, unfortunately, not itself all that surprising. I cannot know exactly what went through his head when he performed these murders, but he certainly performed them in a society that has embraced his work and grossly devalued human life.

Shame on you people who want the State to murder this man. He needs our prayers now more than ever, and I say that as a completely unholy sinner. When is it ever okay to murder someone? Certainly not out of some twisted sense of vengeance. I can sympathize with the strong emotions present, but we are always to return evil with good. Who knows what repentance can do to a soul?

#1Sinner

Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
Punch said:
If you mean to imply that the Orthodox Church substitutes Baal and Ares for Christ, whereas the Anglican Church does not, I would have to disagree.

More sanctimony.

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill."

montalban

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
J Michael said:
TheTrisagion said:

Lord, have mercy.
You advocate killing someone because they killed?

jah777

Archon
Reaction score
I avoided reading about the horrible details of this case, until the street address of his operation caught my eye as the title of a YouTube video.  Apparently, this horrible operation was going on just a block from where I used to live, and I had no idea at the time.  Lord have mercy!

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
JamesR said:
JamesRottnek said:
I never accepted that crap in the first place  ;) I mean, don't get me wrong. I've screwed up, lusted, lost my temper and stuff, but I don't think an average-joe sinner like me holds a candle to someone like this guy.
Being First amongst (or Chief of) Sinners has nothing to do with comparing yourself and your sins to others.  Before you reject "that crap", you may want to discuss it with your priest.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
montalban said:
J Michael said:
TheTrisagion said:

Lord, have mercy.
You advocate killing someone because they killed?
Yes, possibly, in this instance.  And perhaps even in the manner suggested by Punch.  Not just "because they killed", either, but rather because the reasons he did it, the manner in which he did it and who he did it to. If, at sentencing, Gosnell somehow manages to express some kind of extreme remorse for his actions, and is believable, I would happily reconsider. 

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I am opposed to the death penalty in all situations.  As Christians, we ought to be quick to show mercy and slow to pass harsh judgements on others, even if they committed horrific acts.  Perhaps the rest of his life in prison will give him much needed time to reflect on the sins he committed and live the remainder of his life in repentance.  He may not be showing sorrow for his actions now, but none of us know how God might work on his heart.

Let us commit the memories of the children and woman who died to Christ.

katherine2001

High Elder
Reaction score
I am against the death penalty too.  I believe that he should spend the rest of his life in prison with no chance of parole.  They may have to keep him in solitary confinement to keep other prisoners from killing him though.