• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Does each person of the Trinity have their own will?

urg8rb8

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Antiochian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Archdiocese of North America
Does each person of the Trinity have their own will but is in 100% agreement with the other two?  Or do they share exactly one will?

Vanhyo

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
BOC
The Persons of the Holy Trinity have exactly the same will, the only distinction is Who wills it.

Indocern

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
They will same things. But they all have their own free will like humans, except that they are God.

urg8rb8

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Antiochian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Archdiocese of North America
Indocern said:
They will same things. But they all have their own free will like humans, except that they are God.
We know that Jesus has two wills:  one for his humanity and one for his divinity (and both in complete agreement with each other).  Let's assume each person of the Trinity has their own will (and all in agreement with each other).  With that in mind, Jesus also said: "for I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but to do the will of Him who sent Me.".  Was Jesus referring to his human will doing the will of the Father's (divine) will?

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Partially-overlapping
One will
Thrice hypostatized
Expressed as from the Father through the Son and in the Holy Spirit

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
The will is certainly the most interesting subject about man, and even moreso about God-and-man. However, the will of the Holy Trinity seems somewhat less interesting, as without doubt, and regardless of how theologians frame things, the will of the Father is always desired and done.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
jnorm888 said:
Will is a faculty of Nature and so in the Trinity its one will while three different modes of willing.

In regards to Christ it's two wills while one mode of willing.
Welcome back, Jnorm.