• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Does the Syriac Orthodox Church Use Vernacular?

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
By which I am talking about the Syrian Church, not the Indian Church. Do they interchange with Arabic etc. with Syriac, or do they just use the Syriac? As yet, I have not seen any use of a vernacular.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
I knew they did, but I still wonder about Ethiopians and Eritreans.
Some parishes do, some parishes don't.  I've been blessed to pray at a few churches in the diaspora that use English.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Antonious Nikolas said:
RaphaCam said:
Some parishes do, some parishes don't.  I've been blessed to pray at a few churches in the diaspora that use English.
Is Amharic/Tigrinya/etc used at any extent in mainland services?

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
RaphaCam said:
Is Amharic/Tigrinya/etc used at any extent in mainland services?
Yes.  It varies from parish to parish depending upon the proclivities of the priests.  You're more likely to hear the vernacular in Eritrean than in Ethiopian parishes though.