• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Does your parish have outdoor processions?

scamandrius

Merarches
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
9,377
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
44
Location
Omaha
There are lots of processions indicated in the rubrics for major feasts including Theophany and Great Friday.  Typically, whenever one of these processions is called for, we just parade around the nave a few times.  I'm just curious if any of your parishes will have processions for special occasions in which you go out of doors, maybe around your neighborhoods or even on main streets to commemorate major and/or patronal feasts. 

My own parish is couched inside a residential neighborhood and I really doubt most people in the neighborhood know we're there or who we are (major evangelization fail on our part, IMHO) but it's isolated enough that should we do something like this, we wouldn't be blocking any major roads.  I don't know if the people of my parish would go along with this and I doubt my priest would, but I don't think it would hurt and maybe it would be a way (not necessarily a great way) just to let people in the neighborhood that we are here.
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,627
Reaction score
163
Points
63
Age
29
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
There is procession around our parish church or across our cemetary (that's the biggest Orthodox cemetary in Poland). It's done on Paschal Night (after the nocturn) and Paschal Vespers of Sunday afternoon, Paschal Monday (after Liturgy), Sundays of the period of Pascha (after Liturgy), Sunday of the All Saints (after Liturgy), night of the Great Friday/Great Saturday (with epitaphios, the end of the Matins), 1st November (Catholic All Saints feast that's very important in Poland). As our main parish feast falls on 4th Sunday of the Great Lent (st. John Climacus) we don't have procession then, but we have a big one on Antipascha Sunday that's our second parish feast.

At some other parishes in Poland, including Warsaw, there are also processions for Theophany, a feast of certain, local icon.

Foot pilgrimages (that are common here) are a type of procession too. Especially the ones that are only a few kilometres, so they're more big processions than real pilgrimages.
 

augustin717

Taxiarches
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
6,850
Reaction score
0
Points
0
scamandrius said:
There are lots of processions indicated in the rubrics for major feasts including Theophany and Great Friday.  Typically, whenever one of these processions is called for, we just parade around the nave a few times.  I'm just curious if any of your parishes will have processions for special occasions in which you go out of doors, maybe around your neighborhoods or even on main streets to commemorate major and/or patronal feasts. 

My own parish is couched inside a residential neighborhood and I really doubt most people in the neighborhood know we're there or who we are (major evangelization fail on our part, IMHO) but it's isolated enough that should we do something like this, we wouldn't be blocking any major roads.  I don't know if the people of my parish would go along with this and I doubt my priest would, but I don't think it would hurt and maybe it would be a way (not necessarily a great way) just to let people in the neighborhood that we are here.
Nebraska isn’t the Byzantine hinterland exactly. Outdoor processions are common in Orthodox countries. Good Friday, Easter, Easter Monday, Thomas Subday, Ascension, Pentecost and Dormition all had sone sort of outdoor processions  back in my hometown .
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,627
Reaction score
163
Points
63
Age
29
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Oh, I've forgotten about eve of the Dormition  - there's also a procession. I wish we had processions for Sunday of Orthodoxy and Palm Sunday since the should be so colorful and we don't have any procession for these occassions even inside the church.
 

IreneOlinyk

High Elder
Joined
Sep 28, 2009
Messages
897
Reaction score
4
Points
18
We have outdoor processions for the usual feasts and also bless the water outside for Epiphany & bless the Easter Baskets outside at Easter. 

However, for a procession in the neighbourhood a "parade" permit is required & I am not sure exactly what is involved for that and if parades in residential neighbourhoods for example are not permitted.  Usually parades are limited to major streets.
 

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
6,807
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Age
50
we process around the outside of our parish for most of these.....

I guess WA state is no nebraska...;)
 

JTLoganville

High Elder
Joined
Jan 19, 2015
Messages
685
Reaction score
42
Points
28
Location
Pennsylvania
My Antiochian parish has processions around its copious parking lot on Palm Sunday, Holy Saturday Matins with the epitaphios and the Pascha Rush Service.  There is a procession to the adjacent cemetery on Bright Monday for the Blessing of the Graves.

The former St. Thekla Convent in Glenville had a large pond with a dock which extended perpendicularly from the shoreline, so a procession was held on Theophany to the dock for the Blessing of the Waters...twice during falling snow.
 

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Oct 4, 2012
Messages
1,552
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
42
Only for Easter night. Even the Sunday of Orthodoxy one is inside and -- get this -- "for the kids".  ::)
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,643
Reaction score
2
Points
38
Of the two dozen or so Orthodox churches where I live, about half are Greek. Most of them are on a block which includes one or more main roads. The Great Friday evening processions with the Epitaphios go around the block, with hundreds of people participating. Police are on duty to direct traffic. This has been so for several decades.

Another, Slavic, church had to relocate several years ago, to a new building as the old church had to make way for a major building project. The clergy and people held a procession along the main road on which the new church was located, chanting and singing. Clergy were vested, censers were swung, the people carried banners, icons, and other items to be used in the new church. Quite a sight.  :)
 

Alpo

Merarches
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
9,878
Reaction score
1
Points
0
From Pascha until Ascension every Sunday but only on church grounds. Otherwise only on special occasions. For example when one of the churches was moved to another location the icons were carried into the new location in procession. Using subway btw. I would have loved to see faces on people witnessing that.
 

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Apr 17, 2015
Messages
1,125
Reaction score
3
Points
38
Age
73
Location
Finland
There are the regular kind of processions around the outside of the cathedral in Oulu on certain holidays, but last month as part of the congregation's 60th anniversary we processed to the town marketplace, where Met. Elia blessed the waters. If you look quickly, you may be still be able to see 3 photos of the event on the church's webpage:
http://www.oulunortodoksinenseurakunta.fi/
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,627
Reaction score
163
Points
63
Age
29
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Alpo said:
For example when one of the churches was moved to another location the icons were carried into the new location in procession. Using subway btw. I would have loved to see faces on people witnessing that.
Any pics, video?

 

Rubricnigel

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Dec 19, 2017
Messages
1,515
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
244
Location
USA
Yes, a culdesac church with enough room to march around.
 

Alpo

Merarches
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
9,878
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Dominika said:
Alpo said:
For example when one of the churches was moved to another location the icons were carried into the new location in procession. Using subway btw. I would have loved to see faces on people witnessing that.
Any pics, video?
There are a few pictures in this blog:

https://simeonjahanna.com/2015/03/01/mellunmaen-kappeli-helsingissa-sulki-ovensa-muutto-myllypuroon-alkoi/

The blog is obviously in Finnish but you could try to run it through Google translate. It makes fairly decent job in translating things into English at least. No idea on it's Polish skills.

For those curious about the buildings, neither the previous building or the present building are actual purpose-built church buildings. Not sure what they actually are but I'm guessing kind of a mall or a community center in which the chapel is located. There are no actual churches in that part of the city.
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,627
Reaction score
163
Points
63
Age
29
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Alpo said:
Dominika said:
Alpo said:
For example when one of the churches was moved to another location the icons were carried into the new location in procession. Using subway btw. I would have loved to see faces on people witnessing that.
Any pics, video?
There are a few pictures in this blog:

https://simeonjahanna.com/2015/03/01/mellunmaen-kappeli-helsingissa-sulki-ovensa-muutto-myllypuroon-alkoi/

The blog is obviously in Finnish but you could try to run it through Google translate. It makes fairly decent job in translating things into English at least. No idea on it's Polish skills.

For those curious about the buildings, neither the previous building or the present building are actual purpose-built church buildings. Not sure what they actually are but I'm guessing kind of a mall or a community center in which the chapel is located. There are no actual churches in that part of the city.
Wow, thank you! It's very interesting.
Google Translate doesn't work well with Polish, but you can catch the main idea. But sometimes it's really funny. Some examples from this article (not counting grammar erros that are difficult to show in English):

Było sto modlitw na liturgię pożegnalną. Nauczycielka Jyrki Penttonen, kapłan w Centrum Akcji, słuchała łez w oczach. - "There were 100 prayers at farewell Liturgy. Teacher (female), Jyrki Penttonen, priest (male) in the Centre of Action, was listening to tears in eyes".

Po liturgii kaplice rozkoszowały się kaplicami. - "After the liturgy chapels were delighting with chapels".

Ponad sześćdziesiąt osób uczestniczyło w poprzeczce. - "Over sixty persons were participating in the crossbar"
 

Alpo

Merarches
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
9,878
Reaction score
1
Points
0
No idea of the Polish but the English seems perfectly understandable. Grammar is IMO irrelevant if it gets the message through.
 

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 17, 2018
Messages
1,350
Reaction score
0
Points
0
sorry just passing thru!

Gospodi Pomului!

Kyrie Eleison!

Lord have mercy!
 

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
8,682
Reaction score
112
Points
63
Age
23
Location
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
FinnJames said:
There are the regular kind of processions around the outside of the cathedral in Oulu on certain holidays, but last month as part of the congregation's 60th anniversary we processed to the town marketplace, where Met. Elia blessed the waters. If you look quickly, you may be still be able to see 3 photos of the event on the church's webpage:
http://www.oulunortodoksinenseurakunta.fi/
These elderly ladies are my animal spirit:

 

Alpo

Merarches
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
9,878
Reaction score
1
Points
0
^Evangelism Orthodox style. Thousands around them are being saved.
 

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 17, 2018
Messages
1,350
Reaction score
0
Points
0
RaphaCam said:
FinnJames said:
There are the regular kind of processions around the outside of the cathedral in Oulu on certain holidays, but last month as part of the congregation's 60th anniversary we processed to the town marketplace, where Met. Elia blessed the waters. If you look quickly, you may be still be able to see 3 photos of the event on the church's webpage:
http://www.oulunortodoksinenseurakunta.fi/
These elderly ladies are my animal spirit:

bringing the faith to the train!
 

WPM

Taxiarches
Joined
Jan 6, 2012
Messages
7,775
Reaction score
6
Points
0
Age
38
Yes definitely time in the Woods
 

Sam G

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Oct 15, 2013
Messages
1,212
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
26
We usually process around the block if the weather cooperates.
 

ComingofAge

Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
95
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
32
Yes, we have processions outside the Church and in neighboring areas.
 
Top