• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Door Open Ontario (St Catharines)

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
This is a program run in many communities across the province where buildings of cultural interest are open to the public without charge and outside of usual open hours. My church (St Ignatius of Antioch) is participating this year. Scroll down to find us. Better yet, come for a visit!

I took the interior shot between services on Holy Friday afternoon.

http://www.doorsopenontario.on.ca/Events/St-Catharines.aspx

St Barnabas is worth a visit, too. I've been in there a few times for concerts. It would make an ideal Western Rite Orthodox Church as is, and could easily become Eastern Rite. A beautiful building. (Rumour has it that it may close soon - aging and declining congregation.)

I would like to see the BME Church - Salem Chapel. I drive by it on my way to church, but have never had the opportunity to get inside.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
genesisone said:
This is a program run in many communities across the province where buildings of cultural interest are open to the public without charge and outside of usual open hours. My church (St Ignatius of Antioch) is participating this year. Scroll down to find us. Better yet, come for a visit!

I took the interior shot between services on Holy Friday afternoon.

http://www.doorsopenontario.on.ca/Events/St-Catharines.aspx

St Barnabas is worth a visit, too. I've been in there a few times for concerts. It would make an ideal Western Rite Orthodox Church as is, and could easily become Eastern Rite. A beautiful building. (Rumour has it that it may close soon - aging and declining congregation.)

I would like to see the BME Church - Salem Chapel. I drive by it on my way to church, but have never had the opportunity to get inside.
That sounds lovely!  I am planning a trip to Canada in the near future.  I want to see some of your churches, ride on the Canadienne, visit a priest in BC who is a friend, and while in Ontario and the East, attempt to drink milk out of a plastic bag in the Canadian manner, after eating some poutine.  :)

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
Alpha60 said:
That sounds lovely!  I am planning a trip to Canada in the near future.  I want to see some of your churches, ride on the Canadienne, visit a priest in BC who is a friend, and while in Ontario and the East, attempt to drink milk out of a plastic bag in the Canadian manner, after eating some poutine.  :)
That's quite an ambitious trip! You do realize that the straight line distance from Victoria BC to St John's NL is 5063 km - compared to the straight line distance between Lisbon (Portugal) and Moscow (Russia) of 3906 km? In any case, we're only 20 minutes from Niagara Falls, 80 minutes from Toronto - both of which are good tourist destinations. Hope to see you!

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
The event for us was very successful. We had a steady stream of people coming through the building - perhaps 50 or 60 people over the course of 6 hours. I had planned to stay only a few hours, but was kept busy up until after the official closing time. Many were neighbours or frequent passers-by who simply wanted to see inside. There were good questions from many about Orthodoxy and exactly what "Antioch" means. I'd like to think some of them will return to visit us for a service sometime - there was that sort of interest as well.