• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Dozens of monks on Mt. Athos are suffering with Covid-19

FULK NERA

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
Mount Athos: Dozens of monks are in hermitages with COVID-19
“After having communicated with all the institutions and after the cooperation with the Health Center, I know that the situation is not difficult,” the Civil Governor of Mount Athos, Athanasios Martinos, told ANT1.

As Thanasis Martinos pointed out, “at the moment there are 30-40 confirmed cases, mainly of isolated monks who live alone, and there are 5-6 monks who are hospitalized in Thessaloniki, where we know that the situation is very difficult.”

Regarding the interventions of the Abbot of Esphigmenou Monastery, Athanasios Martinos said that his views were correct and welcomed them, and reminded that “there is the problem of the old Esphigmenou monastery. Elder Bartholomew represents the new Esphigmenou monastery and refers to the old one that is against vaccinations.”

“Currently, 75% of the monks have been vaccinated or become ill. In the monasteries there is immunity and it is safe for the monks and the visitors,” noted the Civil Governor of Mount Athos, adding that all the pilgrims before passing to Mount Athos are subjected to a rapid test.

“There is a problem in hermitages and cells on southern Mount Athos, where the monks live alone or in groups of up to 3-5 monks and there is no medical care, as in monasteries it happens that a monk is also a doctor,” Athanasios Martinos stressed, adding “how do they become infected? Either going for supplies outside Mount Athos or going to visit their family.”

He concluded by stating that “these so-called “cellists” live an ascetic life, live alone in nature, fast and it is a bit oxymoronic to get the vaccine due to their deep faith in God, but we can not say that they promote vaccination.”

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Lord, have mercy.

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Lord, have mercy.

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
Kyrie eleison.

Through the prayers of the Holy Unmercenaries Cosmas and Damiano, Penteleimon, Demetrios, and Nektrarios and the protective veil of our most holy Lady Theotokos in whose garden these servants dwell: Grant healing of body and soul and strength for all that lies ahead.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
The article linked in the OP by Fulk Nera, dated Nov. 13, says there are 30-40 confirmed cases, and the article linked by IreneOlinyk (post #5 above), dated Sept. 15, says there were more than 1,000 cases. Seems like things are improving.

hurrrah

Elder
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
monks on Mt. Athos are suffering with Covid
For thousands of years, Christians - and especially monks - have regarded sorrows, of which illnesses are a special case, as a visitation of God, and have reverently thanked Him. And then came covid.

mcarmichael

The City of New Orleans
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
TBD
I got my booster, I think it fixed my tinnitus. My advice (I am not a doctor), if you got Pfizer, get Pfizer. If you got Moderna, get a Moderna booster. If you got J&J you could get either, idk. I might get J&J just for fun, I'll bet it's cheaper too.

Vanhyo

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
BOC
“Currently, 75% of the monks have been vaccinated or become ill. In the monasteries there is immunity and it is safe for the monks and the visitors,” noted the Civil Governor of Mount Athos, adding that all the pilgrims before passing to Mount Athos are subjected to a rapid test.
complete bs, very small number have got the shot

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
complete bs, very small number have got the shot
Note that the quote says 75% either got the vaccine or got sick. Your mileage will vary - some of the abbots have been super protective, encouraging vaccination and limiting visitations; others have not.

Brother Michael

Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
I got my booster, I think it fixed my tinnitus. My advice (I am not a doctor), if you got Pfizer, get Pfizer. If you got Moderna, get a Moderna booster. If you got J&J you could get either, idk. I might get J&J just for fun, I'll bet it's cheaper too.
My tinnitus got worse after the second Pfizer shot. As I write this I can hear a thousand angels in chorus. I can’t quite make out the words. Maybe, it’s “Don’t take the booster.” Anyway, that’s what my doctor said.

hurrrah

Elder
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
Nah, more like then came Christ who, you know, healed the sick.
Are you trying to in the Name of the Savior justify the escalation and exploitation of panic fears, lies and violence?

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Finnish Orthodox Inside of Finland
Nah, just saying you're wrong. Apparently Christ thought we are not to just take illnesses as given since he did he away with illnesses everywhere he went.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that He healed the sick everywhere he went? I'm not aware that illnesses, per se, disappeared. Everyone He healed later went on to die, but of what, we are not told. Chances are, though, that some died of illness.

mcarmichael

The City of New Orleans
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
TBD
My tinnitus got worse after the second Pfizer shot. As I write this I can hear a thousand angels in chorus. I can’t quite make out the words. Maybe, it’s “Don’t take the booster.” Anyway, that’s what my doctor said.
Well, I had a feeling I was probably wrong. I saw there was a small study today, J&J boosters ftw. J&J Covid vaccine booster raised immune response after Pfizer vaccine, study finds (msn.com)
Also I lied about my tinnitus. I feel bad about that. :(

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Finnish Orthodox Inside of Finland
Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that He healed the sick everywhere he went?
That's what I intended to say but apparently still can't speak proper English. 😑

Apostolos

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Church of Greece
Well, the situation on the Holy Mountain is weird, the majority of the vaccinated monks are the younger generation, and while the virus is devastating for the elderly with underlying diseases, the older monks avoid it like the plague. There are cases, like the Vatopaidi's abbot, Elder Ephrem, who used to be on the anti-vaccine side, but he contracted the virus, spent 2 months intubated in the ICU (he is diabetic and with serious heart problems), fully recovered, and he is now urging his brothers to get the vaccine. There are others, like fr. Dionysios Agiannanites, who wanted to get vaccinated, but he obeyed his elder, who prohibited him from doing it, contracted the virus and died aged 59 (I'm sure his absolute obedience to his elder led him to salvation). There are also some monks (like elder Savvas, a YT personality as of lately) who are staunch anti-vaxxers

mcarmichael

The City of New Orleans
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
TBD

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
I think, of course for every Orthodox Christian, but especially on Mount Athos, the main perspective should be spirituaL: goal of the earthly lfie, why I want/don't want to take the vaccine and what are the reasons behind it. For example, if a monk obeyes his spriitaul father, so if he takes vaccine or doesn't - it should be something good for him, as in monkhood obediecne is one of the main virtues.

In non-monastic life: if I'm forced by secular powers tot ake vaccine, I should think about it twice. Also, if my fear is only death or suffer, I should thinkg about Christianity. However, if I have specific family and/or job situation, I have yet another perspective.

Talking spiritually, as also of couse someone may have obecjtiosn regading all thigns thath happen aroudn pandemy, many side-effects of this situation plus vaccines (now some people around me that took vaccine have been ill, meanwhile there are some includign em,d espite at least a few contacts with covid, nothing until now and of course I don't know what may happen in future).

hurrrah

Elder
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
Nah, just saying you're wrong. Apparently Christ thought we are not to just take illnesses as given since he did he away with illnesses everywhere he went.
The sign of equality between the Savior's healing of people and the forces pushing forced vaccination and the total control accompanying it (or being the main goal) can be put only with a very large assumption. So big that the whole planet Earth can fall into it.

Bizzlebin

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Geek
That is some good news. He promoted vaccination, modern medicine, and other normative measures to keep himself and his flock safe and worshiping Jesus Christ. Looks like it paid off!

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
In the news there are written names of some Serbian bishops that died recently, in the text saying about patriarch that got corona, but those bishops as far I know didn't die because of corona....

He promoted vaccination, modern medicine, and other normative measures to keep himself and his flock safe
Really? From where you know this? Especially the first thing?

Bizzlebin

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Geek

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
I've never heard otherwise, actually. Here's a short example news story that popped up the other day, about his recovery more generally: https://www.euractiv.com/section/politics/short_news/serbian-patriarch-tests-positive-for-covid-19/ . I don't read Serbian, but did you have a contradictory source?
Well, I follow instagram of patriarch Porfirije (that's in Serbian) and more or less official website of the Serbian Orthodox Church (in Serbian but many articles are in English) and he has never said something about vaccines (neither positive neither negative). Just there was info when he was tested positive with Covid-19, that he stayed home at quarantine and was regretting that he can't attend some public ceremonies.
Plus I even couldn't find via Google in Serbian something about the statements you are saying about vaccines and things around it and patriarch Porfirije.
He even rarely puts mask (but it happenes) - e.g at funeral of bishop of Sabac (hometown of my family) recently only bishop Andrej of Austria and Switzerland was puting the mask