Drink of Choice

AmatorDeus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.davidgalloway.net
When it's been "one of those days" and you definately could use a drink, what do you generally choose?

Generally, I go for a beer(Mackeson Triple Stout XXX, Guinness), a whisky(Glenlivet 12year right now), or perhaps a port. I think ports are becoming my favorite type of drink. What about the rest of ye???

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
You mean 'Blue Label" is not a myth? It really exists? In SC? Maybe I need to move.

Demetri

AmatorDeus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.davidgalloway.net
+æ-ü+¦-â-ä+++¦+++«-é said:
You mean 'Blue Label" is not a myth? It really exists? In SC? Maybe I need to move.

Demetri
Yep, you can even get it at one of the fancier restaurants in town. $15 for two fingers.

JoeZollars

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
geocities.com
nah, I've been drinkin' since I was knee-high to a yankee. No seriously I find that the homemade versions of Whiskey have a much better taste adn kick to em. It also doesnt' have that fresh from the store grated metal taste.

Joe Zollars

AmatorDeus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.davidgalloway.net
Joe, if I ever get a chance to meet up with you at a summerfest, I'll have to bring along some 16 year old Lagavulin, some 12 year old Macallen, and one of the Glens to properly educate you. Also the Johnny Walker Blue if someone else is picking up the tab. ;D

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
David said:
Yep, you can even get it at one of the fancier restaurants in town. $15 for two fingers.
I haven't been in Greenville since 1957- used to have family there. I can't imagine a "fancy" restaurant even being there. Times change for sure. Ya' think they'd pour me something like half-a-fingers's worth? (On non-fast days , of course)

Demetri

AmatorDeus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.davidgalloway.net
It is amazing the things that change with time. Downtown Greenville now has over 70 restaurants and bars, 30 of which have been added since 2000. We have at least 8 places to get sushi, 6 thai restaurants, etc. It's still a small city, but fairly bustling comparitively. I can't think of another city this size in the eastern US that can match Greenville for performing arts.

TomS

Archon
Reaction score
Well, being that I am a refined intellectual, I prefer whine..... err... Wine.

I was raised to believe that beer was the drink of the rabble. ;)

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
TomΣ said:
Well, being that I am a refined intellectual, I prefer whine..... err... Wine.
A man after my own heart...I can drink anything, but prefer wine.

Joe,

How much does your grandpappy's Mountain Lightning cost? The name's enough to make me wanna try it.

Brendan03

High Elder
Reaction score
Cabernet Sauvignon in the winter and chilled Chardonnay in the summer. Oh, and any kind of lager beer at a German beer garden in the summertime!

TomS

Archon
Reaction score
peterfarrington said:
...Beer is a true Englishman's drink.
Of course it is Peter. After all, I believe the term "rabble" is of English origin! ;D

... Doggery" = rabble, mob. The word "doggery" has several meanings, including "mischievous"
or "rabble, mob". ... The origin of "dogging" is definitely British. ...

www.dogging-central.com/dogging-etymology.shtml

Pedro

Archon
Reaction score
Yes, Peter; usually.

I have to say -- and I don't know what this makes me if beer=rabble or English and whine (ahem) wine=intellectual, but -- my poison of choice is Jos+¬ Cuervo Gold or Sauza Tres Generaciones tequila -- the former mixed heavy into margaritas, the latter straight.

JoeZollars

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
geocities.com
Mor, if I make it to a sumerfest I'll bring some--if there is any left. Grandpappy's still was retired in 1987 when he passed away. Mom and dad keep finding my sad attempts at a still, and unfortuantly grandpappy passed away before giving me his secrets. Alas Grandpappy's brew is a fadin' fast.

Joe Zollars

Nacho

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I have to say -- and I don't know what this makes me if beer=rabble or English and whine (ahem) wine=intellectual, but -- my poison of choice is Jos+¬ Cuervo Gold or Sauza Tres Generaciones tequila -- the former mixed heavy into margaritas, the latter straight.
You should try Patron tequila. It's a bit more expensive but you can't beat the quality. Coming in a close second would be Tres Cazodores. Give it try, you'll be very impressed.

Johnnie Walker Red Label. (I can't afford Glenanything).
I've more recently tried the Gold Label. To tell the truth, I can't tell that much of a difference between the Gold, Black & Red labels. I'm more of a whiskey person myself. My favorites are Canadian mostly. Also a fan of some of the Scotch Whiskeys. 8)

James

Archon
Reaction score
Lets keep the Patron a secret, too many users & the price will go up, like gasoline. Patron is sipping tequila, use those low end gold's for margarita's, the sports drink of Parrot Heads !

Now let me get the blender ready for today,

Chow,

james

JoeZollars

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
geocities.com
I generally say, Wine is for people who want to pretend to drink, Beer is for people who don't have the stomachs for real Alcohol and Whiskey is the drink of the gods. ;)

As Toby Keith says in his song, we drink our beer froma mason jar.

Joe Zollars
proud member fo the "rabble"

James

Archon
Reaction score
Joe,

Ferget Toby, listen to a real country , Hank Jr or Merle Haggard, Waylon & Willie, Johnny C, now a days it ain't country & western, its BS.

Real sippin & stomping music, to quote Alabama, you got to have a fiddle in the band.

Head em up, move them out, RAWHIDE !

JB

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
Forget Toby?

Not quite sure about that (I love his music), but I get your sentiment.

I would suggest Whiskeytown or Kasey Chambers, and my new personal favorite Dierks Bentley.

cizinec

High Elder
Reaction score
Hey, Toby's a good Okie. You let him be.

I love a good stout, but, to be honest, I love trying more obscure wines. By more obscure, I mean obscure grape varietals. I would hate for the entire world to turn into a vat of Cab Sav and Chard. YUCK!

countrymouse

Reaction score
My favorite wine (not whine!) is white Zinfandel, followed by Reisling (Riesling?) and Chardonnay. Not really a beer person. Recently tried a good Pinot Grigio, too.

Linus7

Archon
Reaction score
I like Russian and Ukrainian vodka, especially Pertsovka, which is Ukrainian pepper vodka.

I've tried other kinds of vodka, and some of them are adequate, but Russian and Ukrainian are best by far.

I also like German and Czech beer.

JoeZollars

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
geocities.com
Jakub said:
Joe,

Ferget Toby, listen to a real country , Hank Jr or Merle Haggard, Waylon & Willie, Johnny C, now a days it ain't country & western, its BS.

Real sippin & stomping music, to quote Alabama, you got to have a fiddle in the band.

Head em up, move them out, RAWHIDE !

JB
Hey now! I really like Toby. he's the most real country of any of hte modern "country" music "artists."

BTW, I assume it was a freudian slip to say hank williams "jr"? ; :p

and I do like Alabama.

Joe Zollars

Serge

Archon
Reaction score
Website
sergesblog.blogspot.com
I don't drink much. Wine with meals at home alone occasionally and other than that only socially.

Best wine I've bought lately - inexpensive Chilean merlots.

Liquor: not keen on the stuff. These days I go for sedate mixed drinks - either gin- or vodka-and-tonics.

Sherry: no expert but like medium.

Beer: anything red or medium-brown or darker. I remember Samuel Smith and 6X being fairly good in England. Newcastle is too. As are Saranac from New York state and Honey Brown. Guinness is fine. There is a Pennsylvania beer, Yuengling, that IMO is as good as English beer. Their lager is good and I really like their porter.

James

Archon
Reaction score
Linus, where's the Polish vodka ?

My bro- inlaw intro'd me to Newcastle Ale a couple of weeks ago, being from Wales he prefers Euro or Mexican brews.

james

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
Mmmm...Yunegling. It's a wonderful session beer.

The interesting thing about their porter is that its not really a porter, but a dark lager. By definition, a porter is an ale and fermented with a top fermenting yeast. The Yuengling brewery uses a bottom-fermeting yeast strain when making their porter.

Still taste wonderful, though :)

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
:eek:

Now them's fightin' words, my friend!

Considering the Budweiser leads all other beers in sales in the UK I think that your fellow countrymen lost their taste for "real beer", too.

For all the work CAMRA is doing, non-mega brewery tied pubs are falling left and right in the UK. The opposite is happening here, with dozens of viable* brewpubs opening quarterly.

Note *: About ten years ago, the brewpub industry exploded and far too many operations were started only to close less than 5 years later. The industry has since stablized and continues to grow modestly.

peterfarrington

Protokentarchos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.stgeorgeministry.com
I don't believe that.

If I go into my big supermarket nowadays I can buy about 30 or different proper beers.

Pubs might be having problems but that is because there is less of a pub and more of a club culture among the young.

But I bet more grown ups drink more real beer in the UK than ever before.

I can even buy US 'beers' as well. Not just Budweener but I had a bottle of Adams last week. I had to wash the taste away with a nice Bitter and Twisted though.

You come over here and we can get a few crates in and scientifically test the market.

PT

PT