• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

during the western rite mass is Christ crucified again?

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I know this is a super weird question but in the roman catholic church according to their teaching in every mass Christ is crucified again when the priest raises the bread and wine that become the body and blood of Jesus Christ! so is this also the case in the western rite churches!

btw I find it a bit odd that in EVERY Single mass Christ is crucified again! every Sunday mass he's crucified every feast day he's crucified he just gets crucified again and again and again!

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Wrong.  The sacrifice of Christ is made present through Anamnesis. 

From the Catechism:

The Sacrament of the Eucharist... What is it called?...
1330 The memorial of the Lord's Passion and Resurrection.
The Holy Sacrifice, because it makes present the one sacrifice of Christ the Savior and includes the Church's offering. The terms holy sacrifice of the Mass, "sacrifice of praise," spiritual sacrifice, pure and holy sacrifice are also used, since it completes and surpasses all the sacrifices of the Old Covenant.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p2s2c1a3.htm

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Deacon Lance said:
Wrong.  The sacrifice of Christ is made present through Anamnesis. 

From the Catechism:

The Sacrament of the Eucharist... What is it called?...
1330 The memorial of the Lord's Passion and Resurrection.
The Holy Sacrifice, because it makes present the one sacrifice of Christ the Savior and includes the Church's offering. The terms holy sacrifice of the Mass, "sacrifice of praise," spiritual sacrifice, pure and holy sacrifice are also used, since it completes and surpasses all the sacrifices of the Old Covenant.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p2s2c1a3.htm
so Christ isn't literally sacrificed again!

keaton85

Reaction score
No, He is not. 

In a wider sense, Anamnesis is a key concept in the liturgical theology: in worship the faithful recall God's saving deeds.[2] This memorial aspect is not simply a passive process but one by which the Christian can actually enter into the Paschal mystery.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamnesis_(Christianity)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Prufrock

Reaction score
Orthodox_Slav said:
I know this is a super weird question but in the roman catholic church according to their teaching in every mass Christ is crucified again when the priest raises the bread and wine that become the body and blood of Jesus Christ! so is this also the case in the western rite churches!
As a good rule of thumb, if you ever describe a doctrine that isn't held by the Orthodox Church and then ask "is this also the case in the western rite churches!", the answer is "No!"

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
I heard a lot about that in protestant polemic against catholicism, but I don't know the RC doctrine in details to know exactly if Christ is crucified again in every Mass.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
A priest on EWTN had a great analogy of record tape (this was in the days before CDs). The concert is played again but it is still the same.

The CDs make even a better analogy: when they digitalized the recordings of Caruso's performances for CDs, they had all this background noise-the directions by the stage hands and their moving scenery were picked up by the phonographs but phonograph records could not pick up the recording and replay it. IOW the CDs had Caruso perform again so much so that they had to erase out the background noise that the star's singing alone would be heard.

Like a wheel, where the hub remains fast in the center while the rims run around in circles, so the sacrifice on Golgotha was accomplished in the eternity of the moment of the first Great and Holy Friday, and the Divine Liturgies (and the Mystical Supper in the Upper Room, the foretaste of the Crucifixion) radiate into all times and places to us.