• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Eastern-Catholic Married Priesthood Authorized in North America

Adela

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Eastern-Catholic Married Priesthood Authorized in North America
WASHINGTON — Eastern-Catholic bishops in the U.S. and Canada can once more ordain married men to the priesthood, now that the Vatican has removed decades-long prohibitions that had prevented them from following the traditional practice of their patriarchal Churches.
http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/eastern-catholic-married-priesthood-authorized-in-north-america/

Adela

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
This 2016 article says the decree was signed in 2014, so perhaps not new information......

Adela

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
OK, nevermind, it's a 2015 article being sent around on Facebook today, so it's definately not new news..... 

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe, as apologists for the Vatican have been saying for years (if not decades) that they could.

Paisius

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Depends on the mood
And they have to notify the Latin rite bishop in writing beforehand. Do the Latin rite bishops have to notify the Eastern bishops when they want to ordain someone?

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Paisius said:
And they have to notify the Latin rite bishop in writing beforehand. Do the Latin rite bishops have to notify the Eastern bishops when they want to ordain someone?
Nope. The whole thing is a travesty of justice. Eastern Catholic bishops need to be treated like bishops.

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
Paisius said:
They are not asking permission but letting the Latin bishop know there will be a married priest serving in his area.  I imagine in some areas this will be a novelty.  In the Northeast it is already so common place I doubt they'll do it because they are already used to it.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
Deacon Lance said:
Paisius said:
They are not asking permission but letting the Latin bishop know there will be a married priest serving in his area.  I imagine in some areas this will be a novelty.  In the Northeast it is already so common place I doubt they'll do it because they are already used to it.
Fine, but it certainly still looks like Eastern Catholics are second class citizens in the Roman Catholic Church.