• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Eating locusts à la the Forerunner

Hinterlander

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know of famous desert fathers, monks, etc who have eaten locusts as a form of askesis? out of necessity?

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
I have eaten speciality candies from Egypt: chocolate covered repletes (ant abdomens) and chocolate covered beetle grubs. They were delicious until I discovered what they really were. The chocolate covered repletes tasted like rice krispies covered in honey & chocolate. One would never know unless they asked.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maria said:
I have eaten speciality candies from Egypt: chocolate covered repletes (ant abdomens) and chocolate covered beetle grubs. They were delicious until I discovered what they really were. The chocolate covered repletes tasted like rice krispies covered in honey & chocolate. One would never know unless they asked.
Is there anything different with those compared to what Trader Joe's sells as organic?

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Shiny said:
I am too bourgeois to know what eating insects are like.
ants usually taste like green apples. or close enough.

Romaios

Archon
Reaction score

^ Pileatus = Dacian aristocrat.  :eek:

Nevertheless, the pileum suits you better than the kalymmafchion.