• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Electronic Music

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
A thread for discussing your favorite electronic music. I recognize that it's a very, very broad label but if it can be plausibly be placed in the wide stream flowing from Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, Jean-Michel Jarre, etc then it's fair game.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of this beautiful, melancholic album by Klaus Schulze:

Rubricnigel

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0dYPYAMxviw

Vanilla - Summer

Reminder: No naked links.~Arachne

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Christopher Franke's scores for Babylon 5 were universally excellent.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I enjoy ÉquinoxeJean-Michel Jarre.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Steve Roach though I've only listened to about 6 or 7 albums of his very prolific output. His work runs the range from Berlin-style sequencer-driven stuff to new-agey "tribal" to spacey ambient. Everything I've heard is excellent though.

Recently I've listened a lot to these two.

This is a great ambient double-album, beautiful to listen to or put in the background while working/ sleeping:

This is a bit more in the vein Klaus Schulze's sequencer stuff. I had a great time listening to it while walking in the woods:

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
He pops up when I set Pandora to "drone" which is really ambient but w/e. Good stuff.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not sure what the difference is between "drone" and "ambient."

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I bitterly resent the replacement of classical music and elevator music in hotels by house/deep chill/ambient music.  I want to hear a string quartet, to evoke a sense of luxury, rather than the sort of music which sounds vaguely like what you might hear at a fashion show.  I love the Trump Hotel in Las Vegas and the Westin in Seattle, but this musical degeneration affected those two properties with particular severity.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Ambient music generally lacks beats or structured melodies so you will not be hearing it at your average fashion show nor in any Trump hotels any time soon.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I know a bit about Mozart or Bach.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Ambient music generally lacks beats or structured melodies so you will not be hearing it at your average fashion show nor in any Trump hotels any time soon.
I do apologize, I was confusing it with “deep chill” music.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
At the local movie theater, before Conan the Barbarian started, they played the original trailer for The Warriors. My friend told me that the music in the trailer came from Tangerine Dream's Sorcerer soundtrack, so I got a copy of that.

It's from the same general era of Phaedra and Rubycon and has a similar sound, though the songs are much shorter, so it's interesting to hear them do a variety of shorter pieces. Great stuff.

Alin

Reaction score
When it comes to electronic music, I only like synthwave/retrowave. I really love retro futurism, cyberpunk.
Try these songs, Trevor Something - Enjoy The Silence( it is a cover, a good one), STARFORCE - Age of Nano, Turbo Knight - Rasengan, Dynatron - Rise To The Stars.
And the album DANCE WITH THE DEAD - Loved to Death.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alin said:
When it comes to electronic music, I only like synthwave/retrowave. I really love retro futurism, cyberpunk.
I love a lot of the new synthwave stuff, but if you like it, surely you would also like the stuff that inspires them, e.g. Vangelis' Blade Runner soundtrack, John Carpenter, Depeche Mode, etc.