• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

End times prophecy fun

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
If you had a prediction on how the end times will come too fruition. Post it here. I'll start.
My crystal ball tells me that Google is going too invent a super ArtificialGeneralIntelligence that will one day rule the world.

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Reaction score
Faith
Of Avvakum and Neronov
Jurisdiction
Old Rite, Chasovenny
A good while beforehand, I wondered if Pope Benedict XVI was to die in 2012 and whether he'd be succeeded by Peter the Roman, thereby tying the apocalypticism surrounding the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar with the Prophecy of the Popes. Of course, he ended up remaining in that position into the following year and was succeeded by Pope Francis, so evidently it didn't come to pass.

Or did it?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
How do you know a superintelligence would end the world? It might turn out to be friendly, deciding to take care care of us out of gratitude for giving it life (at the very least it might conclude that wiping us out is about an equal drain on resources as just making us its dependents).

Heck, maybe that could turn out to be part of the means by which Christ brings about the New Earth.

I don't think the world could end catastrophically short of a nuclear war (which probably wouldn't kill everyone- some pockets would hang on in the Australian Outback, the South Seas, Greenland, etc. but they'd never get back to anything much past Middle Ages levels of technology because the remaining natural resources are too deep down to exploit without modern infrastructure) or an asteroid impact.

I think it's going to more be a slow death march due to global warming, superbugs, and economic collapse. Unless the Singularity happens in the next few decades, space colonies are probably our best shot at continuing to advance and thrive. But even that's pretty iffy.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Hawkeye said:
A good while beforehand, I wondered if Pope Benedict XVI was to die in 2012 and whether he'd be succeeded by Peter the Roman, thereby tying the apocalypticism surrounding the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar with the Prophecy of the Popes. Of course, he ended up remaining in that position into the following year and was succeeded by Pope Francis, so evidently it didn't come to pass.

Or did it?
Will have to see on that one.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Volnutt said:
How do you know a superintelligence would end the world? It might turn out to be friendly, deciding to take care care of us out of gratitude for giving it life (at the very least it might conclude that wiping us out is about an equal drain on resources as just making us its dependents).

Heck, maybe that could turn out to be part of the means by which Christ brings about the New Earth.

I don't think the world could end catastrophically short of a nuclear war (which probably wouldn't kill everyone- some pockets would hang on in the Australian Outback, the South Seas, Greenland, etc. but they'd never get back to anything much past Middle Ages levels of technology because the remaining natural resources are too deep down to exploit without modern infrastructure) or an asteroid impact.

I think it's going to more be a slow death march due to global warming, superbugs, and economic collapse. Unless the Singularity happens in the next few decades, space colonies are probably our best shot at continuing to advance and thrive. But even that's pretty iffy.
Elon Musk started a new company call Nuro-link or something like that.  His intent is to tie peoples brains into The AI. Look it up its a good read. The beast AI and Nuro-link the sign of the beast.  Sure the super computer could be harmless but what if it gets into the wrong hand. Mahhaha!

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Tzimis said:
Volnutt said:

Elon Musk started a new company call Nuro-link or something like that.  His intent is to tie peoples brains into The AI. Look it up its a good read. The beast AI and Nuro-link the sign of the beast.
Neuralink, actually. Nuro-Link is something different. https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/27/15077864/elon-musk-neuralink-brain-computer-interface-ai-cyborgs

I'd like to see somebody grill him on how he reconciles this with his calls a year ago for banning AI research. Maybe he thinks that uploads would be able to influence the Superintelligence better than meatspace programmers could? Somehow I doubt it would work. Maybe if we learned how to make full on human-machine hybrids, but I don't know if that's even theoretically possible (let alone ethical).

Tzimis said:
Sure the super computer could be harmless but what if it gets into the wrong hand. Mahhaha!
Well, if it's smarter than we are, then I don't think anybody could manipulate it for long. The key is making sure that we seed it, before it fully develops, with a respect for life and a desire to preserve it. Then we at least have a better chance of it not going on a rampage once we can no longer shut it down. This is a lot of what Eliezer Yudokowsky and Nick Bostrom are working on right now.

I think, given the dire straits the world is in in general right now, that it's ultimately a gamble worth taking.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Volnutt said:
Tzimis said:
Volnutt said:

Elon Musk started a new company call Nuro-link or something like that.  His intent is to tie peoples brains into The AI. Look it up its a good read. The beast AI and Nuro-link the sign of the beast.
Neuralink, actually. Nuro-Link is something different. https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/27/15077864/elon-musk-neuralink-brain-computer-interface-ai-cyborgs

I'd like to see somebody grill him on how he reconciles this with his calls a year ago for banning AI research. Maybe he thinks that uploads would be able to influence the Superintelligence better than meatspace programmers could? Somehow I doubt it would work. Maybe if we learned how to make full on human-machine hybrids, but I don't know if that's even theoretically possible (let alone ethical).

Tzimis said:
Sure the super computer could be harmless but what if it gets into the wrong hand. Mahhaha!
Well, if it's smarter than we are, then I don't think anybody could manipulate it for long. The key is making sure that we seed it, before it fully develops, with a respect for life and a desire to preserve it. Then we at least have a better chance of it not going on a rampage once we can no longer shut it down. This is a lot of what Eliezer Yudokowsky and Nick Bostrom are working on right now.

I think, given the dire straits the world is in in general right now, that it's ultimately a gamble worth taking.
This is the kicker.  He isn't banning it per say. What he did was open a different company called open AI. Where the info would be shared. You see. Google is currently the front runner in the technology through Deep Mind. A half Greek btw. He "Elon" is trying to steal it by making it open source.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Is that really "theft?" Technology like this probably should be open source, given the alternatives (control by a government or control by Google).

Also, I just know they wanted to call Deep Mind "Deep Thought" lol.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Volnutt said:
Is that really "theft?" Technology like this probably should be open source, given the alternatives (control by a government or control by Google).

Also, I just know they wanted to call Deep Mind "Deep Thought" lol.
It should be open source.  If you dont have it you would want it that way. The reality is its not.  If its preparatory and those that control it.  Will eventually control the world. 

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Kierkegaardian absurdity
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Atlanta
Volnutt said:
Tzimis said:
Volnutt said:

Tzimis said:

That said, 3-1 odds the entire universe gets turned into paper clips by some wiseacre's AI.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
lol, really.

For those who don't know, that's a joke about the possibility of an AI developing totally alien preferences from us- like turning everything into paperclips.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Justin Kolodziej said:
Volnutt said:
Tzimis said:
Volnutt said:

Tzimis said:

That said, 3-1 odds the entire universe gets turned into paper clips by some wiseacre's AI.
The new and improved golden calf that Moses destroyed.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
http://www.wayofthefuture.church/

Way of the Future (WOTF) is about creating a peaceful and respectful transition of who is in charge of the planet from people to people + "machines". Given that technology will "relatively soon" be able to surpass human abilities, we want to help educate people about this exciting future and prepare a smooth transition
From silicon valley to church leader.

https://www.dmv.org/articles/levandowski-way-of-the-future

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Humans worshiping technological achievement isn't really anything new. It's kind of at the heart of all idolatry.

But banning research just because it might cause problems down the road just doesn't make any sense to me- especially when we're already slowly destroying ourselves anyway. It's all just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic at this point.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Volnutt said:
Humans worshiping technological achievement isn't really anything new. It's kind of at the heart of all idolatry.

But banning research just because it might cause problems down the road just doesn't make any sense to me- especially when we're already slowly destroying ourselves anyway. It's all just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic at this point.
    I believe we are about 20 years away from singularity. Maybe less. Than another 3 to 4 years for everybody to be sucked in. I basically think AI will become a prediction machine and that is the most fearful part of it. Along with trusting it. People will have to incorporate themselves into it to survive.  Financially as well.
That sounds topical of the beast in revelation. 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
The beast we're already in called international capitalism is little better (especially once the fossil fuels run out). Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Volnutt said:
The beast we're already in called international capitalism is little better (especially once the fossil fuels run out). Damned if we do, damned if we don't.
The AI is already solving that. With the technology behind bitcoin called blockchain

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Capitalism will adapt, it always does. Either the technology will get banned or some bright young things will figure out a way around it.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Volnutt said:
Capitalism will adapt, it always does. Either the technology will get banned or some bright young things will figure out a way around it.
What happens if the dollar collapses?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Tzimis said:
Volnutt said:
Then the Yuan or something will take over (after the US stops burning, of course). Maybe some government will appropriate Bitcoin, I don't know. Capitalism is bigger than any one nation or currency.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Volnutt said:
Tzimis said:
Volnutt said:
Then the Yuan or something will take over (after the US stops burning, of course). Maybe some government will appropriate Bitcoin, I don't know. Capitalism is bigger than any one nation or currency.
But arent we in a capitalist world economy already? Where one currency is interdependent on the other. One could also argue that an economic crash like the great depression would affect every country and currency in a globalized society. 

Lets look at the dollars real value before and after coming off of the gold standard. I think it was president Nixon that was smart enough to realize pegging the dollar to oil and forming OPEC would stabilize the currency. What happens if the oil drys up? If oil is gone. The dollar will disintegrate as well.
There is also a risk that once sustainable energy takes over. Oil will bottom out a kill the dollar as well. Thats partly why there are so many politicians in this country fighting the environmental crowd.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
I would like to get in on this, how to do so? please sent all informations!

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Tzimis said:
Volnutt said:
Tzimis said:
Volnutt said:
But arent we in a capitalist world economy already? Where one currency is interdependent on the other. One could also argue that an economic crash like the great depression would affect every country and currency in a globalized society. 

Lets look at the dollars real value before and after coming off of the gold standard. I think it was president Nixon that was smart enough to realize pegging the dollar to oil and forming OPEC would stabilize the currency. What happens if the oil drys up? If oil is gone. The dollar will disintegrate as well.
There is also a risk that once sustainable energy takes over. Oil will bottom out a kill the dollar as well. Thats partly why there are so many politicians in this country fighting the environmental crowd.
Right, but I'm talking about Capitalism as a state of mind. If things went belly up to that degree, then after the dust settled, whatever currency was left over or whatever government wound up with the resources would just set the new standards.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Volnutt said:
Tzimis said:
Volnutt said:
Tzimis said:
Volnutt said:

Right, but I'm talking about Capitalism as a state of mind. If things went belly up to that degree, then after the dust settled, whatever currency was left over or whatever government wound up with the resources would just set the new standards.
Couldn't one argue at that point the system failed. Why would one want to revive a failure.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Tzimis said:
Volnutt said:
Tzimis said:
Volnutt said:
Tzimis said:
Volnutt said:

Couldn't one argue at that point the system failed. Why would one want to revive a failure.
As opposed to what, Anarcho-Communism? If it's the only thing people know, they'll naturally go back to it as soon as they can.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Volnutt said:
Tzimis said:
Volnutt said:
Tzimis said:
Volnutt said:
Tzimis said:
Volnutt said:

As opposed to what, Anarcho-Communism? If it's the only thing people know, they'll naturally go back to it as soon as they can.
Even the Chinese who are communist have a capitalistic economy. Could that be called capitalism? Maybe all capitalism is, is a new word for money exchange.