• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

EP reportedly to announce possibility for 2nd Marriage for some Priests

Aristobolus

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
This is not official yet, but is being reported on some news agencies:  http://www.romfea.gr/epikairotita-xronika/23626-apofasi-tou-oikoumenikou-patriarxeiou-gia-deutero-gamo-iereon .

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
National Herald=grain of salt.

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Kierkegaardian absurdity
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Atlanta
Google Translate told me it's "403 (Forbidden)!!1" to translate that page! LOL

It's probably something they broke for non-Chrome browsers, but it's more fun to blame the Masons, Illuminati, Borg and Q Continuum for the interference  ;D

Aristobolus

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
http://orthochristian.com/115501.html

Aristobolus

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Aristobolus said:
This is not official yet, but is being reported on some news agencies:  http://orthochristian.com/115501.html .

IreneOlinyk

High Elder
Reaction score
I thought the Patriarchate of Romania already allows re-marriage of some priests on a case-by-case basis.

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Kierkegaardian absurdity
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Atlanta
IreneOlinyk said:
I thought the Patriarchate of Romania already allows re-marriage of some priests on a case-by-case basis.
Sounds similar except in the Ecumenical Patriarchate, assuming the National Herald isn't doing its best Weekly World News impression.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Whatever's really going on... I'm so very looking forward to seeing it brought up in RCC/EO polemics from now until the Sun explodes, boy howdy! :p

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
Does this count for divorcees, or only widowers?

PJ26

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
Would this mean then that a priest who, for whatever reason, decided not to get married prior to ordination could now get married?

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
PJ26 said:
Would this mean then that a priest who, for whatever reason, decided not to get married prior to ordination could now get married?
Even a non-Orthodox knows the answer to that: No.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
Oh, okay, it's only widowers. Just read it.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
So. If a husband killed his wife. He can become a priest.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Tzimis said:
No, because there's still the prohibition of a killer becoming a priest.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Volnutt said:
Tzimis said:
No, because there's still the prohibition of a killer becoming a priest.
Thank god

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
PJ26 said:
No.  Based on what the National Herald reports (and again, cum grano salis), petitions for a second marriage would be considered case by case (economia, which is already how things are/should be handled) for men who are widowed or whose wives left them.  I do know of a priest who was widowed and was allowed to remarry since he was bringing up four kids then by himself.  So, this already does happen, to an extent.  I don't think this is a story worthy of claiming "Orthodoxy abandoning her tradition." 

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
IreneOlinyk said:
it used to be tolerated until 10 years ago or so when an ultimatum was issued to the remarried priests to choose between priesthood or spouses. About five or six hundred were supposedly affected.
Not sure how thoroughly this newly minted akrivia was implemented though.

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
augustin717 said:
IreneOlinyk said:
it used to be tolerated until 10 years ago or so when an ultimatum was issued to the remarried priests to choose between priesthood or spouses. About five or six hundred were supposedly affected.
Wait, as in break with their spouses in order to remain priests...?

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Episcopalian-ish
Jurisdiction
I pray for all bishops
Ainnir said:
augustin717 said:
IreneOlinyk said:
My bet is that they'd be expected to "live like brother and sister."

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
biro said:
Does this count for divorcees, or only widowers?
Blameless divorcees too. Orthodox canon law, like other ancient law systems, requires that at least one part is blamed for the divorce, while the other can be just a victim.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
Ainnir said:
augustin717 said:
IreneOlinyk said:
yes

yes. The logic was that those marriages weren’t valid. At least as priests they could not have contracted them validly.

IreneOlinyk

High Elder
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
IreneOlinyk said:
Thank you.  From the new release from 2000, it sounds like the Church was trying to deal with an existing problem and prevent the problem from happening in the future:
http://www.roeanews.info/2010/03/15/bor-%e2%80%93-divorced-andor-remarried-priests/

…The Chancery of the Holy Synod has determined that as of 2009, there are 570 priests that are divorced priests and/or divorced and remarried priests, and only 39 have received any kind of penalty for what had transpired, which is over 3.5% of all BOR priests who are not monks; a serious situation in terms of the level of morality of priests …

1) Their Eminences and local Bishops are obliged to strictly respect the Canons, constitutional and in the form of church rules, which do not admit the remarriage of clergy, and this in all cases.

2) No local Bishop is permitted to apply any form of dispensation, and this as of the date of adoption and communication of this Holy Synod decision, in regards clergy that are divorced or divorced and remarried, inasmuch as these are to be sanctioned by lowering their rank, or even by defrocking.  The same measure will apply to widowed priests who are remarried.

b) Divorced clerics, divorced and remarried clerics, as well as those widowed and having remarried, are not permitted to occupy the position of Parish Priest, which is a position of leadership, in parishes where there are multiple priests.  In rural parishes, in this very special case, this type of priest is kept on as Parish Priest, however he will not be promoted to superior category parishes; 

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
So the headline is "Orthodox bishops may allow something that other Orthodox bishops already allow"?

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Agabus said:
So the headline is "Orthodox bishops may allow something that other Orthodox bishops already allow"?
Right.  If the Herald's report is correct, then what's really remarkable is that they're not allowing individual hierarchs to make the decision, and instead mandating synodal review.  And, as pointed out above, it's for both widowers (who have a more emotionally compelling case) and those who are divorced because of abandonment by their spouse.

I'm not in favor of it (for various reasons), but understand why it's being discussed.  While the report may indeed be true, the Herald also has an atrocious track record of reporting rumor as verified fact (according to my boss they're up to 0-for-19 on authoritatively reporting the ouster of Archbishop Demetrios - our running joke is that when he actually retires or dies, their headline will be, "See - I Told You So!").