• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

EP to Biden: Citizens of the Whole Free World Welcome Your Victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew sent a congratulatory letter to the newly elected 46th President of the United States of America, Joseph Biden.

“The joy and enthusiasm for your electoral victory are merely personal sentiments. They are also shared by our Ecumenical Patriarchate and its eparchies across the world, and above all by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America with its commendable Shepherd, Archbishop Elpidophoros – and I remain grateful for the love and esteem with which you have embraced him. But beyond our Patriarchate, there are millions of Americans, as well as citizens of the entire free world, to whom you now offer hope (I could say conviction) for a better future, where the eternal values and ideals of a civilized humanity may prevail.”

The Ecumenical Patriarch recalled, in his letter, the long involvement of the Ecumenical Throne with the issues of the protection of the natural environment and ways of tackling climate change. The Patriarch expressed His satisfaction and joy at the initiatives that the newly elected President is prepared to take on this urgent issue, as he has already announced, with a view to joining the Paris Agreement and guaranteeing a cleaner environment.

“Those looking to you are those who thirst for religious freedom, those whose human rights are trampled, and those who yearn for freedom and justice. And there are so many of them! They also include the historical religious communities of the Middle East, who aspire to peaceful coexistence. Mr. President, may God be with you!”
Article continues with full text of the letter: https://orthodoxtimes.com/ecumenica...y2x1MP4ysWXUIBNxey-Uad-OwstVEO_q_T14KwWG9tbdg

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
The title should read “Citizens of the Whole Free World Welcome Your Victory”. I don’t understand why it’s cut off or misspelled. It wasn’t when I posted it and I can’t edit it.

I’ve fixed it. —Ainnir

Last edited by a moderator:

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
The story was just removed from Orthodox Reddit for being "political". :rolleyes:

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
We can discuss Biden in Politics. Stick to Patriarch Bartholomew's letter here, please. Thanks. --Ainnir

Reaction score
We can discuss Biden in Politics. Stick to Patriarch Bartholomew's letter here, please. Thanks. --Ainnir
I have been trying to think what useful things could be said about the letter outside of the Politics forum, and I am coming up blank. Surely everyone here knows who His Eminence is, and if nothing can be said of the person he is writing the letter to, then I recommend moving it to the politics forum.

Reaction score
Yeah move to politics, so we can freely speak, I'm coming up blank on what to say about his eminence, without getting poltical.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread stays so the letter remains viewable to the public, but I've locked it, since further discussion seems unlikely. Feel free to start a spin off thread in Politics. I'll also remind everyone to please use PM to communicate with moderators. We got new software, not new rules. Thanks.
--Ainnir

Status
Not open for further replies.