• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Equifax hacked; 143 million Americans may have been affected

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
More information here:

http://www.businessinsider.com/equifax-hackers-may-have-accessed-personal-details-143-million-us-customers-2017-9

:-\

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. So you can enroll but not get confirmation until next week? If I am getting this right?

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know...I'm still debating signing up for this site or not.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, my whole family decided to sign up.  It looks like I'm in the clear, but my folks and my sister are not.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
Just to be clear, the title of the article should say consumers rather than customers. Three companies compile data from your bank account, credit cards, debit cards, loans, mortgage, etc., whether you like it or not: Experian, TransUnion and Equifax. This is how you get a credit score. You should be checking these sites every year because they sometimes have incorrect information. It is free once a year from this official site: https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Opus118 said:
minasoliman said:
Just to be clear, the title of the article should say consumers rather than customers. Three companies compile data from your bank account, credit cards, debit cards, loans, mortgage, etc., whether you like it or not: Experian, TransUnion and Equifax. This is how you get a credit score. You should be checking these sites every year because they sometimes have incorrect information. It is free once a year from this official site: https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action.
+1

Yup...this is why I went ahead and checked to see if I was affected.  I felt like I had no choice in the matter and I had a right to know.

Although methinks there should be some sort of penalty from the federal government for this data breach.  If I have access to patient information in the hospital and some else figures out my password and leaks my patients' information, I'm going to be partially screwed.

Half the US population got breached. That's no small problem.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
No idea if they can track stolen data from Equifax yet, but here's a useful website: https://haveibeenpwned.com/
I visited that a while back and they said my gmail account had been compromised several times and my 15+ year old hotmail account not even once. I guess there's value in using an email service that's an outdated joke!

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been advised to just freeze our credit with all three agencies.  :-\ 

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Asteriktos said:
RaphaCam said:
No idea if they can track stolen data from Equifax yet, but here's a useful website: https://haveibeenpwned.com/
I visited that a while back and they said my gmail account had been compromised several times and my 15+ year old hotmail account not even once. I guess there's value in using an email service that's an outdated joke!
I was compromised on five different websites, but the only one in which they got any important info (my IP adress) was... Neopets.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Equifax Suffered a Hack Almost Five Months Earlier Than the Date It Disclosed

Equifax Inc. learned about a major breach of its computer systems in March -- almost five months before the date it has publicly disclosed, according to three people familiar with the situation.

In a statement, the company said the March breach was not related to the hack that exposed the personal and financial data on 143 million U.S. consumers, but one of the people said the breaches involve the same intruders. Either way, the revelation that the 118-year-old credit-reporting agency suffered two major incidents in the span of a few months adds to a mounting crisis at the company, which is the subject of multiple investigations and announced the retirement of two of its top security executives on Friday.

Equifax hired the security firm Mandiant on both occasions and may have believed it had the initial breach under control, only to have to bring the investigators back when it detected suspicious activity again on July 29, two of the people said...

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I enrolled awhile ago, still waiting for an email. I was going to request a hard copy of my credit report from all 3 agencies but I guess I'll wait...

Ainnir said:
Apparently it costs a fee to lift the freeze whenever you need to submit a credit application? What a joke.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Just wait until we have to deal with DNA theft in the future. ;)

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
RobS said:
I enrolled awhile ago, still waiting for an email. I was going to request a hard copy of my credit report from all 3 agencies but I guess I'll wait...

Ainnir said:
Apparently it costs a fee to lift the freeze whenever you need to submit a credit application? What a joke.
I know.  For me it's a low fee, though; it varies by state apparently?  At least you can find out which agency will be checked and only unfreeze that one.  Tell the lender their opening, and it should be good.  So that's the plan, whenever it's needed.