• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Estonian National Museum invites visitors to kick the Theotokos

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
The National Museum which opened in Estonia in the presence of President Toomas Hendrik Ilves last week, is offering its visitors to kick one of the exhibits, an interactive image of Virgin Mary, causing the picture to fall into pieces. The virtual painting has been criticized by a number of politicians, entrepreneurs and parliamentarians in the Postimees newspaper. Thus, according to Priit Sibul, who chairs the parliamentary faction of the ruling Union of Pro Patria and Res Publica, "kicking an image of the Mother of God is something they did in the Soviet cultural space but would not demonstrate in public."
http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/97520.htm
Lord have mercy.

Charles1967

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
California
Amazing how they never think twice about doing things like this to Holy Christian Images to offend us. But if it was a Muslim Holy image I bet they
Would think twice.
Then again,I heard MIRIAM is reveared in their culture and religion as well.  Maybe someone should tell them ;)

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
The National Museum which opened in Estonia in the presence of President Toomas Hendrik Ilves last week, is offering its visitors to kick one of the exhibits, an interactive image of Virgin Mary, causing the picture to fall into pieces. The virtual painting has been criticized by a number of politicians, entrepreneurs and parliamentarians in the Postimees newspaper. Thus, according to Priit Sibul, who chairs the parliamentary faction of the ruling Union of Pro Patria and Res Publica, "kicking an image of the Mother of God is something they did in the Soviet cultural space but would not demonstrate in public."
Lord have mercy.
Brazilians have been known to kick images of the Theotokos too....

Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
It blasphemies like this is where I am all for Russia annexing that tiny little place.

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Kierkegaardian absurdity
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Atlanta
OK, so reading the whole article I have a couple of comments.
1. This image is not an Orthodox image of the Theotokos, but a drawing of a statue of the Catholic "Our Lady of Grace".
2. The part kicked is not the image itself, but the base of the installation.
3. From the description:
The installation on display at the Estonian National Museum is a depiction of Virgin Mary on a big light screen almost the size of a human being. It is static until someone kicks a specially marked spot at the bottom of the picture, causing the virtual figure fly into pieces and the word "Reformation" appear on the screen.
I'm not entirely sure if the artist is a Catholic angry about the Reformation or a Reformed angry about Catholic "idols"  ??? But it's not overtly anti-Orthodox, anyway.

Usually museums have to put in a plate explaining the "art" these days because it makes no sense to begin with...most of them should probably be closed down period.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Minnesotan said:
RaphaCam said:
Lord have mercy.
Brazilians have been known to kick images of the Theotokos too....
Yes.  :(  This guy was deservedly disgraced, though.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Justin Kolodziej said:
OK, so reading the whole article I have a couple of comments.
1. This image is not an Orthodox image of the Theotokos, but a drawing of a statue of the Catholic "Our Lady of Grace".
2. The part kicked is not the image itself, but the base of the installation.
3. From the description:
The installation on display at the Estonian National Museum is a depiction of Virgin Mary on a big light screen almost the size of a human being. It is static until someone kicks a specially marked spot at the bottom of the picture, causing the virtual figure fly into pieces and the word "Reformation" appear on the screen.
I'm not entirely sure if the artist is a Catholic angry about the Reformation or a Reformed angry about Catholic "idols"  ??? But it's not overtly anti-Orthodox, anyway.

Usually museums have to put in a plate explaining the "art" these days because it makes no sense to begin with...most of them should probably be closed down period.
Who is the person depicted in the exhibit? 

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of Finland
seekeroftruth777 said:
It blasphemies like this is where I am all for Russia annexing that tiny little place.
Your ignorance of the grim realities of Estonian history is almost as astounding as your lack of empathy for the citizens of other countries. 

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
seekeroftruth777 said:
Like Alaska.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
RaphaCam said:
Someone should definitely have kicked that.
They did. At two separate exhibitions. The second time, destroying it.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
FinnJames said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
Your ignorance of the grim realities of Estonian history is almost as astounding as your lack of empathy for the citizens of other countries. 
+1

Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
FinnJames said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
What grim realities of Estonian history?  yeah I know they suffered under Communism, and Fascism yet it doesn't excuse their Blasphemy against the Mother of God! As far empathy goes well I don't have much empathy for Russians, and the hardship they have went through by others, it only empathy for their neighbors, but not them!

Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
mike said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
Like Alaska.
Go ahead take Alaska, one less state to deal with in the Union, nice try Mike your tactics don't phase me 8)

Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
seekeroftruth777 said:
FinnJames said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
What grim realities of Estonian history?  yeah I know they suffered under Communism, and Fascism yet it doesn't excuse their Blasphemy against the Mother of God! As far empathy goes well I don't have much empathy for Russians, and the hardship they have went through by others, it only empathy for their neighbors, but not them!
It should say they don't have much empathy for Russians, and their hardship, my mistake

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
Svartzorn said:
When are the perpetrators of this act going to jail?
I'd say the injured part of she's really bothered by this can take care of it herself.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
seekeroftruth777 said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
FinnJames said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
It should say they don't have much empathy for Russians, and their hardship, my mistake
When its the same neighbour that had invaded you.....I can pretty much see why there is not that much empathy for them.

Svartzorn

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
?
augustin717 said:
Svartzorn said:
I'd say the injured part of she's really bothered by this can take care of it herself.
You know, I don't agree with this PC BS going on about muslims, but I also don't think it's acceptable behavior to mock their faith.
It's also not acceptable to mock christians.
Some things are ok to do, some things are just silly jokes.
Other things are not.

Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
DeniseDenise said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
FinnJames said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
When its the same neighbour that had invaded you.....I can pretty much see why there is not that much empathy for them.
So there should only be empathy for Estonia, not Russia?  Russians also suffered from Nazis, and Communists.

Diego

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
ROCOR W. Rite
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Moscow
Svartzorn said:
I have a better question. When are they going to be arrested and burned at the stake? I still think that punishment should be applied for grotesque acts like this. His Grace the Lutheran Archbishop is entirely correct. This is an offence to Christians, be they Orthodox, Catholic, or Lutheran. One does not have to be Orthodox to be offended by this.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Russians suffered from Tatars.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
seekeroftruth777 said:
DeniseDenise said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
FinnJames said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
So there should only be empathy for Estonia, not Russia?  Russians also suffered from Nazis, and Communists.

Not what I said.

but why should Estonians have empathy for Russia?

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
"Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you..."

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Mor Ephrem said:
"Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you..."

ideally yes....but as a Nation? 

just saying that a claim that Estonians don't have much empathy for Russians and -their- hardships....is pretty understandable given history..

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Lots of things are understandable, and yet the gospel calls us* to transcend those things in favour of something better. 

*us = people, without whom there are no nations

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Mor Ephrem said:
Why do you have to bring Christ into this?

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
mike said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
Like Alaska.
You could put almost 38 Estonias inside Alaska. Besides, Russia doesn't want it; they sold it for 2 cents an acre. 

Indocern

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
According to Wikipedia 54% of the people of Estonia are without religion, so they don't know what they are doing.

Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
Indocern said:
According to Wikipedia 54% of the people of Estonia are without religion, so they don't know what they are doing.
It called mocking GOD and the Church, they know what they are doing. A lot of non-believers get off on it, you know piss-christ and all that type of blasphemy.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
seekeroftruth777 said:
Indocern said:
It called mocking GOD and the Church, they know what they are doing. A lot of non-believers get off on it, you know piss-christ and all that type of blasphemy.
Yes, just like what Christ prayed on the cross. Father, punish them because they know what they are doing.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Mor Ephrem said:
Is it a comment on Theotokos being abused with that exhibition or Estonians being abused by Russians?

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of Finland
This is the paragraph of the article that posters here seem to have overlooked:
The installation on display at the Estonian National Museum is a depiction of [the] Virgin Mary on a big light screen almost the size of a human being. It is static until someone kicks a specially marked spot at the bottom of the picture, causing the virtual figure [to] fly into pieces and the word "Reformation" [to] appear on the screen.
Source: http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/97520.htm

So the "art"work is clearly not intended to mock Christianity, as many posters here seem to assume, but rather to commemorate/celebrate(?) the Protestant Reformation. The majority religion in Estonia is Lutheranism, a Protestant variety of Christianity. And as a previous poster pointed out, the image more closely resembles a Roman Catholic statue of the Virgin Mary than an Orthodox icon of the Theotokos. That being the case, it seems highly unlikely that the artist (or the visitors who kick in the appropriate place) set out to offend Russians (or the many readers of OrthodoxChristianity.net whose noses have been put out of joint). What seems much more likely is that the "art"work is intended as a celebration of Protestant "liberation" from Catholicism in which the viewer is invited to take part.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
mike said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Is it a comment on Theotokos being abused with that exhibition or Estonians being abused by Russians?
It's from the "Sermon on the Plain".

Diego

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
ROCOR W. Rite
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Moscow
Given the comments of the Lutheran Archbishop, I am not sure the Reformation mentioned is the Protestant one.