• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Ethiopian teenage girls receive prison sentence for distributing Christian books

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Joined
Feb 4, 2010
Messages
6,256
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
28
Location
Mesa, AZ
Also, I'd much prefer to belong to the kind of church that Mor's photos depict, than I would to a church whose monks get into fist-fights every Pascha, and whose priests and monks support violence against gay people.
 

rakovsky

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
12,661
Reaction score
225
Points
63
Location
USA
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
JamesRottnek said:
rakovsky said:
James, when you get a chance I would love to continue our discussion on the Articles of Religion on whether the Eucharistic bread actually is or contains Jesus' body.
I will, I keep meaning to.  But I want to wait until I have time to craft a truly thoughtful response.
If the Anglican position was sensible, it would not take so long while you have repeatedly posted on other topics. Instead, it could be summed up in two paragraphs, like I have to the contrary:

The truth is, it's internally totally contradictory. Your idea has been to look to the history and intent. Ok. In that case we have Article 29 being imposed by the COE hierarchy with the backing of the crown to the displeasure of Bps Guest and Cheyney who taught the objective presence but still disagreed with RC Transubstantiation like Luther did. In fact, so strong was the disagreement between Art 29 and Luthers belief on the presence that the COE suspended Cheyney from being a bishop for his failure to accept Article 29.

Article 29 says that the wicked don't eat the body of Christ. Now if "don't eat " was only meant here as denying that the unfaithful wicked were in communion, there would not be an issue as the Catholics were not arguing that the wicked unbelievers are in communion. The polemical intent of Art 29 was therefore to dispute the teaching of Lutherans and Catholics together that since Jesus is objectively present inside the bread, then both the wicked and the faithful objectively in effect put the body in the bread in their mouths. The alternative, which Art 29 entails, is that Jesus is not actually in the bread, therefore it never goes into the mouths, it is only something that believers metaphorically eat. So when we look to history and intent, we find that it opposes belief in the real presence, especially in Art 29.
 

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Joined
Feb 4, 2010
Messages
6,256
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
28
Location
Mesa, AZ
rakovsky said:
JamesRottnek said:
rakovsky said:
James, when you get a chance I would love to continue our discussion on the Articles of Religion on whether the Eucharistic bread actually is or contains Jesus' body.
I will, I keep meaning to.  But I want to wait until I have time to craft a truly thoughtful response.
If the Anglican position was sensible, it would not take so long while you have repeatedly posted on other topics. Instead, it could be summed up in two paragraphs, like I have to the contrary:
And here's the evidence that you don't want an actual discussion.
 

rakovsky

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
12,661
Reaction score
225
Points
63
Location
USA
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
JamesRottnek said:
rakovsky said:
JamesRottnek said:
rakovsky said:
James, when you get a chance I would love to continue our discussion on the Articles of Religion on whether the Eucharistic bread actually is or contains Jesus' body.
I will, I keep meaning to.  But I want to wait until I have time to craft a truly thoughtful response.
If the Anglican position was sensible, it would not take so long while you have repeatedly posted on other topics. Instead, it could be summed up in two paragraphs, like I have to the contrary:
And here's the evidence that you don't want an actual discussion.
I would like to have an actual discussion, because it's a quite interesting and curious topic. Anglicans emphasize tradition and ecclesiastical hierarchy and sacraments and priesthood and sometimes ritual more than any other protestants, including Lutherans. And yet on the crucial question of the Eucharistic presence, most of them at their founding period in the 16th c. took the Calvinist position and the COE  imposed art 29 as a requirement for its clergy.

There are things about Anglicans I like , such as their declarations of adherence to early Christian teachings and so it's a topic I would indeed like to have a critical thoughtful discussion on. It's an interesting topic about a crucial aspect of theology.
 

rakovsky

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
12,661
Reaction score
225
Points
63
Location
USA
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
If you have intense difficulty in laying out your views, it's better to put them in a 2 paragraph summary than not at all.
 
Joined
May 6, 2014
Messages
2,386
Reaction score
33
Points
48
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
JamesRottnek said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
JamesRottnek said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
JamesRottnek said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
Rohzek said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
Rohzek said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
mike said:
And that came after I had started to think you are one of the few posters of your religion whose posts I can read without gagging.
Most of what you post - most especially your photographic contributions to the "What Does Everyone Look Like" thread - is nausea inducing.  You don't hear me crying about it.

mike said:
Unless that was sarcastic.
I'll let you figure that out, bright boy.

rakovsky said:
Can you say a bit how the teenagers were undermining the Ethiopian church?
I didn't say the teenagers were personally undermining the Church in this particular instance.  I said the sect they belong to, similar organizations, and the website posting the news (which notably took a gratuitous potshot at the EOTC) were.  Orthodox Christians are usually their primary targets, not Muslims.  Protestant sects seeking to convert Orthodox Christians in Ethiopia and elsewhere and spread their own vile beliefs - as these sects are - are doing Satan's work, inadvertently or not.
Maybe if the Orthodox priests and parents weren't so terrible at their job then the children they helped raise wouldn't be seduced by Evangelicals. Sounds like their problem, not the problem of the girls. Get gud son. Imprisoning people for speaking their mind is a laughable thing to do.

I can see it now though. Jesus comes back. Sees some Protestants preaching to his Orthodox flock. He immediately reaches for a nightstick whacks them over the head, cuffs them, and throws 'em in jail. Very Jesus. Much holy. Your image of the Lord is awe inspiring.
Would you rather the enraged Muslims kill these girls? BTW if this story had nothing to do with the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, then why did the article take a cheap shot at it? No agenda, right?
Who cares what sort of cheap shot the article takes at the Ethiopian Orthodox Church? It's just words. Shrug it off. As for what the Muslims who were so upset, here's what should happen. The central government sends in the police or military to protect the Christians who are only speaking their mind. If a Muslim still wants to rage hardcore to the point of burning down churches or killing people, then either arrest the violent Muslims or mow them down.
#1- These are not quote "Christians" they are sects, they hold heretical dogmas, and theology, so I don't see where you would be protecting Christians, in your fantasy scenario.
You say you're GOARCH.  You are aware that the Ecumenical Patriarchate and the Ethiopian Orthodox Church are not in communion, right?
No, but the Oriental Orthodox are a lot closer to our Orthodox Christian faith, and traditions than Evangelicalism ever could be.
And yet, from the stand point of your church, they are sects.  And a great many in your church think they hold heretical dogmas and theology (such as a large number of those on Mt. Athos).
Among Old Calendarists, and hardliners on Mount Athos, that a possibility. But most Orthodox priests and laity I talk to, don't oppose any talks with the O.O.'S as much as they oppose any talks with Protestants and Catholics. For example the Copts are very close to us, while the transgender Episcopalians with liturgical mishaps, not so much.
Are you primarily talking to Orthodox in the US?  Because if so, I'd agree.  Most of them seem to support reunion between the EO and OO.  But, I'm not so certain that holds elsewhere.

And as to the Episcopalians being whatever you and Mor think they are, what relevance does that have to anything?  The fact remains that your church and Mor's are not in communion with one another.
Yes I'm talking about the situation in the U.S. , yet people from the Middle East told me that the E.O.' and O.O.' are starting to talk, and in some cases even allow mix marriages, due to the deadly situation on the ground.
 
Joined
May 6, 2014
Messages
2,386
Reaction score
33
Points
48
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
JamesRottnek said:
Also, I'd much prefer to belong to the kind of church that Mor's photos depict, than I would to a church whose monks get into fist-fights every Pascha, and whose priests and monks support violence against gay people.
The fist fights are embarrassing, they don't happen every pascha, it is the burial site of Christ, so things can get tense.  The vast majority of priests, and monks don't condone violence against Homosexuals, those that do should think about how they word what they say in some parts of the world. At least we don't condone the slaughter of babies before they are even baptized, and attack the sacrament of Marriage, in the name of "tolerance"of course.
 

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Joined
Feb 4, 2010
Messages
6,256
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
28
Location
Mesa, AZ
rakovsky said:
If you have intense difficulty in laying out your views, it's better to put them in a 2 paragraph summary than not at all.
Do you, at the very least, see how language like this suggests you don't actually want a conversation?
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,417
Reaction score
289
Points
83
Age
40
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
JamesRottnek said:
Also, I'd much prefer to belong to the kind of church that Mor's photos depict, than I would to a church whose monks get into fist-fights every Pascha, and whose priests and monks support violence against gay people.
It wasn't that long ago that the "Supreme Governors of the Church of England" and their pious subjects were actively pursuing a centuries long program of systematically raping and pillaging Africa, Asia, etc.  Monks fighting in Jerusalem leads to some riotous Youtube videos and maybe some visits to the ER or the local police station.  The world is still reeling from the after-effects of the damage your Church inflicted on the world. 

I'll take the fighting monks.  My money is always on the Armenians.   
 
Joined
May 6, 2014
Messages
2,386
Reaction score
33
Points
48
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
MOR is right, I actually agree with him, for a change, the after effects of the Church of England imperialism is still being felt in much of the world, especially Africa, Asia, and Middle East.
 
Joined
May 6, 2014
Messages
2,386
Reaction score
33
Points
48
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
Mor Ephrem said:
JamesRottnek said:
Also, I'd much prefer to belong to the kind of church that Mor's photos depict, than I would to a church whose monks get into fist-fights every Pascha, and whose priests and monks support violence against gay people.
It wasn't that long ago that the "Supreme Governors of the Church of England" and their pious subjects were actively pursuing a centuries long program of systematically raping and pillaging Africa, Asia, etc.  Monks fighting in Jerusalem leads to some riotous Youtube videos and maybe some visits to the ER or the local police station.  The world is still reeling from the after-effects of the damage your Church inflicted on the world. 

I'll take the fighting monks.  My money is always on the Armenians. 
Meh Greeks got them elbows, I guess we shall see on the next round :D
 

wgw

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 31, 2014
Messages
5,816
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Mor Ephrem said:
JamesRottnek said:
Also, I'd much prefer to belong to the kind of church that Mor's photos depict, than I would to a church whose monks get into fist-fights every Pascha, and whose priests and monks support violence against gay people.
It wasn't that long ago that the "Supreme Governors of the Church of England" and their pious subjects were actively pursuing a centuries long program of systematically raping and pillaging Africa, Asia, etc.  Monks fighting in Jerusalem leads to some riotous Youtube videos and maybe some visits to the ER or the local police station.  The world is still reeling from the after-effects of the damage your Church inflicted on the world. 

I'll take the fighting monks.  My money is always on the Armenians. 
Aye, the Armenians always look like they could kick my posterior, to the accompaniement of excredingly dissonant military music by the noted Soviet-Armenian composer Vartan Barsegian. 
 

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
9,346
Reaction score
589
Points
113
Age
24
Location
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
wgw said:
Aye, the Armenians always look like they could kick my posterior, to the accompaniement of excredingly dissonant military music by the noted Soviet-Armenian composer Vartan Barsegian.
Never quit this forum.  :D

BTW, you said you'd e-mail me some Barsegian some months ago.
 

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 28, 2013
Messages
7,322
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Faith
Orthodox Catholic Church
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
JamesRottnek said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
JamesRottnek said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
Rohzek said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
Rohzek said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
mike said:
And that came after I had started to think you are one of the few posters of your religion whose posts I can read without gagging.
Most of what you post - most especially your photographic contributions to the "What Does Everyone Look Like" thread - is nausea inducing.  You don't hear me crying about it.

mike said:
Unless that was sarcastic.
I'll let you figure that out, bright boy.

rakovsky said:
Can you say a bit how the teenagers were undermining the Ethiopian church?
I didn't say the teenagers were personally undermining the Church in this particular instance.  I said the sect they belong to, similar organizations, and the website posting the news (which notably took a gratuitous potshot at the EOTC) were.  Orthodox Christians are usually their primary targets, not Muslims.  Protestant sects seeking to convert Orthodox Christians in Ethiopia and elsewhere and spread their own vile beliefs - as these sects are - are doing Satan's work, inadvertently or not.
Maybe if the Orthodox priests and parents weren't so terrible at their job then the children they helped raise wouldn't be seduced by Evangelicals. Sounds like their problem, not the problem of the girls. Get gud son. Imprisoning people for speaking their mind is a laughable thing to do.

I can see it now though. Jesus comes back. Sees some Protestants preaching to his Orthodox flock. He immediately reaches for a nightstick whacks them over the head, cuffs them, and throws 'em in jail. Very Jesus. Much holy. Your image of the Lord is awe inspiring.
Would you rather the enraged Muslims kill these girls? BTW if this story had nothing to do with the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, then why did the article take a cheap shot at it? No agenda, right?
Who cares what sort of cheap shot the article takes at the Ethiopian Orthodox Church? It's just words. Shrug it off. As for what the Muslims who were so upset, here's what should happen. The central government sends in the police or military to protect the Christians who are only speaking their mind. If a Muslim still wants to rage hardcore to the point of burning down churches or killing people, then either arrest the violent Muslims or mow them down.
#1- These are not quote "Christians" they are sects, they hold heretical dogmas, and theology, so I don't see where you would be protecting Christians, in your fantasy scenario.
You say you're GOARCH.  You are aware that the Ecumenical Patriarchate and the Ethiopian Orthodox Church are not in communion, right?
No, but the Oriental Orthodox are a lot closer to our Orthodox Christian faith, and traditions than Evangelicalism ever could be.
And yet, from the stand point of your church, they are sects.  And a great many in your church think they hold heretical dogmas and theology (such as a large number of those on Mt. Athos).
They might be a schismatic body, but they are Orthodox insofar as they claim that they are and work toward reunion with the Church. That's the will of Christ, that all might be one. (John 17:21) Not that all might be between 23,000 and 45,000 different denominations with different theologies, doctrines, dogmas, teachings and practices. So, I am more inclined to defend their communion, which is at the very least apostolic in origin, than a heretical made-up-from-thin-air Protestant sect which denies the very Church which canonized and wrote the Bible, and the Bible itself which says that it is not the only source of Christian faith and tradition. (2 Thess. 2:15)
 

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 28, 2013
Messages
7,322
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Faith
Orthodox Catholic Church
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
rakovsky said:
James, when you get a chance I would love to continue our discussion on the Articles of Religion on whether the Eucharistic bread actually is or contains Jesus' body.
Wait, James doesn't confess the Lord's body? Then why are you even having this conversation. Those that don't confess the Lord's body are not Christians.
 

rakovsky

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
12,661
Reaction score
225
Points
63
Location
USA
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
xOrthodox4Christx said:
rakovsky said:
James, when you get a chance I would love to continue our discussion on the Articles of Religion on whether the Eucharistic bread actually is or contains Jesus' body.
Wait, James doesn't confess the Lord's body? Then why are you even having this conversation. Those that don't confess the Lord's body are not Christians.
The COE's  Articles of Religion , art. 28 to 29, denies what we call the Real Presence, according to the EP's Thyateira confession's correct reading of it. However, the COE only demands that its clergy profess the Articles as Truth, not laity. Typically about 80% of Anglican laity will then claim that the Articles are true and then make an interpretation of the articles 28 to 29 that matches whatever their own beliefs happen to be.

So James could, based on this pattern, confess the Lords body like you say, ie accept the real presence, and then claim that the Articles teach this too.
 

rakovsky

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
12,661
Reaction score
225
Points
63
Location
USA
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
seekeroftruth777 said:
MOR is right, I actually agree with him, for a change, the after effects of the Church of England imperialism is still being felt in much of the world, especially Africa, Asia, and Middle East.
How about the Crimea war, which was fought by Britain to keep Russia from freeing the orthodox ukraine, Balkans and Crimea from the Turks?
 

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Joined
Feb 4, 2010
Messages
6,256
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
28
Location
Mesa, AZ
xOrthodox4Christx said:
JamesRottnek said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
JamesRottnek said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
Rohzek said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
Rohzek said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
mike said:
And that came after I had started to think you are one of the few posters of your religion whose posts I can read without gagging.
Most of what you post - most especially your photographic contributions to the "What Does Everyone Look Like" thread - is nausea inducing.  You don't hear me crying about it.

mike said:
Unless that was sarcastic.
I'll let you figure that out, bright boy.

rakovsky said:
Can you say a bit how the teenagers were undermining the Ethiopian church?
I didn't say the teenagers were personally undermining the Church in this particular instance.  I said the sect they belong to, similar organizations, and the website posting the news (which notably took a gratuitous potshot at the EOTC) were.  Orthodox Christians are usually their primary targets, not Muslims.  Protestant sects seeking to convert Orthodox Christians in Ethiopia and elsewhere and spread their own vile beliefs - as these sects are - are doing Satan's work, inadvertently or not.
Maybe if the Orthodox priests and parents weren't so terrible at their job then the children they helped raise wouldn't be seduced by Evangelicals. Sounds like their problem, not the problem of the girls. Get gud son. Imprisoning people for speaking their mind is a laughable thing to do.

I can see it now though. Jesus comes back. Sees some Protestants preaching to his Orthodox flock. He immediately reaches for a nightstick whacks them over the head, cuffs them, and throws 'em in jail. Very Jesus. Much holy. Your image of the Lord is awe inspiring.
Would you rather the enraged Muslims kill these girls? BTW if this story had nothing to do with the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, then why did the article take a cheap shot at it? No agenda, right?
Who cares what sort of cheap shot the article takes at the Ethiopian Orthodox Church? It's just words. Shrug it off. As for what the Muslims who were so upset, here's what should happen. The central government sends in the police or military to protect the Christians who are only speaking their mind. If a Muslim still wants to rage hardcore to the point of burning down churches or killing people, then either arrest the violent Muslims or mow them down.
#1- These are not quote "Christians" they are sects, they hold heretical dogmas, and theology, so I don't see where you would be protecting Christians, in your fantasy scenario.
You say you're GOARCH.  You are aware that the Ecumenical Patriarchate and the Ethiopian Orthodox Church are not in communion, right?
No, but the Oriental Orthodox are a lot closer to our Orthodox Christian faith, and traditions than Evangelicalism ever could be.
And yet, from the stand point of your church, they are sects.  And a great many in your church think they hold heretical dogmas and theology (such as a large number of those on Mt. Athos).
They might be a schismatic body, but they are Orthodox insofar as they claim that they are and work toward reunion with the Church. That's the will of Christ, that all might be one. (John 17:21) Not that all might be between 23,000 and 45,000 different denominations with different theologies, doctrines, dogmas, teachings and practices. So, I am more inclined to defend their communion, which is at the very least apostolic in origin, than a heretical made-up-from-thin-air Protestant sect which denies the very Church which canonized and wrote the Bible, and the Bible itself which says that it is not the only source of Christian faith and tradition. (2 Thess. 2:15)
If you want to talk apostolic, like talk St. Basil.  In his great letter in which he differentiates schism from heresy, referring to the Holy Spirit among schismatics he says: for it ceased to be imparted when the continuity was broken.

Or you could look at the Council of Carthage, where such eminent people as Cyril essentially eliminated the distinction between heresy and schism (in practical effect, that is).  And I'd point out that your clergy and the clergy of the Oriental Orthodox still don't con-celebrate the Eucharist.  They are literally out of communion with one another.
 

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Joined
Feb 4, 2010
Messages
6,256
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
28
Location
Mesa, AZ
xOrthodox4Christx said:
rakovsky said:
James, when you get a chance I would love to continue our discussion on the Articles of Religion on whether the Eucharistic bread actually is or contains Jesus' body.
Wait, James doesn't confess the Lord's body? Then why are you even having this conversation. Those that don't confess the Lord's body are not Christians.
I've pointed out a number of times to rakovsky that I have literally never met any Anglican clergy who do not confess the Lord's body in the Eucharist.  And I am in agreement with them.
 

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Joined
Feb 4, 2010
Messages
6,256
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
28
Location
Mesa, AZ
rakovsky said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
MOR is right, I actually agree with him, for a change, the after effects of the Church of England imperialism is still being felt in much of the world, especially Africa, Asia, and Middle East.
How about the Crimea war, which was fought by Britain to keep Russia from freeing the orthodox ukraine, Balkans and Crimea from the Turks?
Or the ceaseless persecution of the non-Chalcedonians by the Byzantine Orthodox empire.
 

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 28, 2013
Messages
7,322
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Faith
Orthodox Catholic Church
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
JamesRottnek said:
xOrthodox4Christx said:
JamesRottnek said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
JamesRottnek said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
Rohzek said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
Rohzek said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
mike said:
And that came after I had started to think you are one of the few posters of your religion whose posts I can read without gagging.
Most of what you post - most especially your photographic contributions to the "What Does Everyone Look Like" thread - is nausea inducing.  You don't hear me crying about it.

mike said:
Unless that was sarcastic.
I'll let you figure that out, bright boy.

rakovsky said:
Can you say a bit how the teenagers were undermining the Ethiopian church?
I didn't say the teenagers were personally undermining the Church in this particular instance.  I said the sect they belong to, similar organizations, and the website posting the news (which notably took a gratuitous potshot at the EOTC) were.  Orthodox Christians are usually their primary targets, not Muslims.  Protestant sects seeking to convert Orthodox Christians in Ethiopia and elsewhere and spread their own vile beliefs - as these sects are - are doing Satan's work, inadvertently or not.
Maybe if the Orthodox priests and parents weren't so terrible at their job then the children they helped raise wouldn't be seduced by Evangelicals. Sounds like their problem, not the problem of the girls. Get gud son. Imprisoning people for speaking their mind is a laughable thing to do.

I can see it now though. Jesus comes back. Sees some Protestants preaching to his Orthodox flock. He immediately reaches for a nightstick whacks them over the head, cuffs them, and throws 'em in jail. Very Jesus. Much holy. Your image of the Lord is awe inspiring.
Would you rather the enraged Muslims kill these girls? BTW if this story had nothing to do with the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, then why did the article take a cheap shot at it? No agenda, right?
Who cares what sort of cheap shot the article takes at the Ethiopian Orthodox Church? It's just words. Shrug it off. As for what the Muslims who were so upset, here's what should happen. The central government sends in the police or military to protect the Christians who are only speaking their mind. If a Muslim still wants to rage hardcore to the point of burning down churches or killing people, then either arrest the violent Muslims or mow them down.
#1- These are not quote "Christians" they are sects, they hold heretical dogmas, and theology, so I don't see where you would be protecting Christians, in your fantasy scenario.
You say you're GOARCH.  You are aware that the Ecumenical Patriarchate and the Ethiopian Orthodox Church are not in communion, right?
No, but the Oriental Orthodox are a lot closer to our Orthodox Christian faith, and traditions than Evangelicalism ever could be.
And yet, from the stand point of your church, they are sects.  And a great many in your church think they hold heretical dogmas and theology (such as a large number of those on Mt. Athos).
They might be a schismatic body, but they are Orthodox insofar as they claim that they are and work toward reunion with the Church. That's the will of Christ, that all might be one. (John 17:21) Not that all might be between 23,000 and 45,000 different denominations with different theologies, doctrines, dogmas, teachings and practices. So, I am more inclined to defend their communion, which is at the very least apostolic in origin, than a heretical made-up-from-thin-air Protestant sect which denies the very Church which canonized and wrote the Bible, and the Bible itself which says that it is not the only source of Christian faith and tradition. (2 Thess. 2:15)
If you want to talk apostolic, like talk St. Basil.  In his great letter in which he differentiates schism from heresy, referring to the Holy Spirit among schismatics he says: for it ceased to be imparted when the continuity was broken.

Or you could look at the Council of Carthage, where such eminent people as Cyril essentially eliminated the distinction between heresy and schism (in practical effect, that is).  And I'd point out that your clergy and the clergy of the Oriental Orthodox still don't con-celebrate the Eucharist.  They are literally out of communion with one another.
Uh, yeah I said that. They are out of communion due to their wrongheaded schism against Chalcedon, but they profess they are Orthodox and that they want communion with us. I'm open to that possibility.
 

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 28, 2013
Messages
7,322
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Faith
Orthodox Catholic Church
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
JamesRottnek said:
rakovsky said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
MOR is right, I actually agree with him, for a change, the after effects of the Church of England imperialism is still being felt in much of the world, especially Africa, Asia, and Middle East.
How about the Crimea war, which was fought by Britain to keep Russia from freeing the orthodox ukraine, Balkans and Crimea from the Turks?
Or the ceaseless persecution of the non-Chalcedonians by the Byzantine Orthodox empire.
It ceased when the Islamic jihadists and Latin crusaders conquered Constantinople.
 

rakovsky

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
12,661
Reaction score
225
Points
63
Location
USA
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
JamesRottnek said:
xOrthodox4Christx said:
rakovsky said:
James, when you get a chance I would love to continue our discussion on the Articles of Religion on whether the Eucharistic bread actually is or contains Jesus' body.
Wait, James doesn't confess the Lord's body? Then why are you even having this conversation. Those that don't confess the Lord's body are not Christians.
I've pointed out a number of times to rakovsky that I have literally never met any Anglican clergy who do not confess the Lord's body in the Eucharist.  And I am in agreement with them.
The two questions I would raise here are
1. How many and what range of clergy dI'd you survey, eg. How many were low church Anglicans?

In two surveys I did on one Anglican discussion group, people were about equally divided, with the biggest group seeming to have no opinion or even objecting to my question on whether Jesus' body was directly in the bread on the table.

2. What is meant by the real presence when they talk about it?

Because there have been Anglicans like NT Wright who at times sound like they are teaching real presence, but on further inspection it looks like what one Anglican commentator called a Virtual  presence,  ie the bread has the same virtue or practical effect as if it was Jesus' body. To the best I can make out , Virtualism is the position of Cranmer, Calvin, and Wright, except that I did not find Wright to be openly rejecting the real presence.
 

Alpo

Merarches
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
9,878
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
JamesRottnek said:
Also, I'd much prefer to belong to the kind of church that Mor's photos depict, than I would to a church whose monks get into fist-fights every Pascha, and whose priests and monks support violence against gay people.
Identity politics is boring. Both are crazy.
 

Balthasar

Elder
Joined
Nov 2, 2009
Messages
397
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Antonious Nikolas said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
BTW leave to a evangelical online newspaper to bash the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, when it didn't do anything this time.
Of course they will.  Undermining the only true Church of Ethiopia - not Islam - is the primary goal of satanic Evangelical and Charismatic sects operating in Ethiopia and their American and European backers.  May God bring their vile machinations to naught and bring these girls to His truth.  If they left the Orthodox Church for non-Christian cults like the MKC and the FGC, earthly prison is the least of their worries.
I agree with you.

In its anual "Christian Persecution Index", The protestant organization "OpenDoors" places Orthodox Christian nations like Ethiopia (Eritrea) way higher than notorious for Christians countries like Turkey, Algeria, Egypt, UAE, Kuwait, Bahrain and co. And non-traditional-Christian North Korea is always numero uno -- just not to embarass Muslim nations. ;)

https://www.opendoorsusa.org/christian-persecution/world-watch-list/

Anyways, the coming bloody battle will be waged between children of Ishmael and Luther.
 

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 4, 2002
Messages
7,237
Reaction score
7
Points
0
Location
East Coast, USA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Oriental Orthodox Church
Balthasar said:
I agree with you.

In its anual "Christian Persecution Index", The protestant organization "OpenDoors" places Orthodox Christian nations like Ethiopia (Eritrea) way higher than notorious for Christians countries like Turkey, Algeria, Egypt, UAE, Kuwait, Bahrain and co. And non-traditional-Christian North Korea is always numero uno -- just not to embarass Muslim nations. ;)

https://www.opendoorsusa.org/christian-persecution/world-watch-list/
Well observed!  We've known that their true target was the Church since the godless Derg opened the door for them and the Muslims (two sides of the same coin) in order to erode the Church's influence.  When it comes to Ethiopia and Eritrea, the P'ent'ays have the West and the Muslims have Saudi Arabia, but the Orthodox have no one but God to support them.  And if the local governments should step up, they are accused of all manner of evil by the enemies of Christ.  May the God-fearing Emperor Fasilides - who expelled the Jesuits from Ethiopia and reversed their gains among the people - intercede for his nation at the Throne of God.

Balthasar said:
Anyways, the coming bloody battle will be waged between children of Ishmael and Luther.
 

Trebor135

Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2012
Messages
140
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Canada
Having read this thread from start to finish, I would like to ask: what is the Ethiopian Orthodox church doing to reach Protestants (especially former Orthodox) and Muslims?
 
Top