• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Eugene priest arrested, charged w/ purchasing sex w/ juvenile used as coke mule

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
jah777 said:
The articles I was able to find about his conviction were not very clear about what evidence proved his guilt.  In any case, if we familiarize ourselves with the Gerontikon, Sayings of the Fathers, Lausiac History, and similar works, we will understand very well that all of us are capable of falling into any temptation.  The more a person approaches God and leads others to God, the more the demons will attack, knowing that by derailing one they will be able to take many other souls as well! 

One of my favorite saints is St. James the Faster (March 4).  After living in a cave in strict asceticism for 45 years and working many miracles, he cured a young woman of demon possession and then fell into sin with her.  To cover up his sin, he killed the woman.  He repented very deeply for his sins and is now numbered among the saints.  His life shows that none of us are incapable of falling no matter how ascetically we might live or how much grace we receive, and all of us are able to become saints regardless of how far we have fallen. 

Read the life of St. James the Faster here:

https://oca.org/saints/lives/2015/03/04/100656-st-james-the-faster-of-phoenicia-syria
+1

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
jah777 said:
The articles I was able to find about his conviction were not very clear about what evidence proved his guilt.  In any case, if we familiarize ourselves with the Gerontikon, Sayings of the Fathers, Lausiac History, and similar works, we will understand very well that all of us are capable of falling into any temptation.  The more a person approaches God and leads others to God, the more the demons will attack, knowing that by derailing one they will be able to take many other souls as well! 

One of my favorite saints is St. James the Faster (March 4).  After living in a cave in strict asceticism for 45 years and working many miracles, he cured a young woman of demon possession and then fell into sin with her.  To cover up his sin, he killed the woman.  He repented very deeply for his sins and is now numbered among the saints.  His life shows that none of us are incapable of falling no matter how ascetically we might live or how much grace we receive, and all of us are able to become saints regardless of how far we have fallen. 

Read the life of St. James the Faster here:

https://oca.org/saints/lives/2015/03/04/100656-st-james-the-faster-of-phoenicia-syria
+2

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
As all are humans, all will sin, all will be fools, all will suffer, all will be humiliated. Yet there remain key differences between sinners and saints. And we Orthodox truly believe in the possibility of the theophoros, the human possessed by the holy Spirit and no longer subject to the demons. And in ultimate successful theosis. And therefore it is only superficially right to say, This or that sinner is not different from the saints.