• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Fantasy Football 2009

admiralnick

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Serbian Orthodox Church - Midwest
So who is in for Fantasy Football this season? Once I get a decent count I'll start a league. I was thinking ESPN, but we can do Yahoo if people are interested. I know I already have myself and Fr. Chris and Cleveland (I didn't ask them, but I'm sure they'll play. We need between 5 and 9 more players and if its really popular we can have 2 leagues. So if you're interested, either reply here or send me a PM and we'll get it going.

-Nick

P.S. If you've never played Fantasy Sports before but have been interested, Football is the least time consuming because they only play "17" weeks and there are only a set number of games a week, not like baseball where there are games every day.

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
I'll give it a go.  It'll be my first time but I've spent enough time listening to friends and family go on about their fantasy teams that I have a basic understanding of how it works.

admiralnick

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Schultz said:
I'll give it a go.  It'll be my first time but I've spent enough time listening to friends and family go on about their fantasy teams that I have a basic understanding of how it works.
Excellent!

admiralnick

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OKay, so we only need 1 more to have a viable league assuming that Fr. Chris and Cleveland join up (I haven't heard from either of them).

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh

findingfaith

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Not of this Earth
Ukiemeister said:
When I see the word "football" I think "soccer."
When i see the word "Futbol" I think of soccer
When i see the word "Football" I think GO CHARGERS!!!

admiralnick

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
If you want to check cheerleaders, that's fine.  :laugh:

In related news, I was thinking of the following structure for the league:

QB: 2
RB: 3
RB/WR: 1
WR: 4
TE: 1
K: 1
P: 1
Def: 2

If there are any other structures, let me know because I can fully customize the league settings, so we can modify it to our heart's content.

-Nick

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
jayjay said:
Cheerleaders got me in - so how do I play??
How to play American football:

Step 1. Refuse to study in any of your classes in high school or college.
Step 2. Graduate due to coach's insistence you should pass.
Step 3. Bring a loaded weapon into a crowded place, such as a bar or strip club.
Step 4. Remind self never to carry said gun in sweatpants.
Step 5. Organize an illegal dogfighting ring.
Step 6. Serve prison sentence and return to the NFL more popular than ever.
Step 7. Step onto a long, narrow field with 21 other people.
Step 8. Win Super Bowl.

Pravoslavbob

Protokentarchos
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction
OCA
^  ROFL!!!!!!!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
i've always wanted to do fantasy football!  but I never wanted to do it just on my own...so this is perfect for me!!  i'd love in!  let me know on what you guys all decide (espn or yahoo). 

p.s.  Anyone interested in soccer fantasy (premier league)??
Coca-Cola League 1 maybe??

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
Yes. If it's soccer, it'll have to be English Premier League; that's all I get on the dish, and I can't justify the extra $20/mo. to get the Soccer Channel.

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
Ukiemeister said:
serb1389 said:
i've always wanted to do fantasy football!  but I never wanted to do it just on my own...so this is perfect for me!!  i'd love in!  let me know on what you guys all decide (espn or yahoo). 

ytterbiumanalyst said:
serb1389 said:
Yes. If it's soccer, it'll have to be English Premier League; that's all I get on the dish, and I can't justify the extra $20/mo. to get the Soccer Channel.
It is soccer & I have leagues set up on Yahoo & ESPN if any are interested.  I think its about 4-5 days until the season starts (on the 15th).  PM me about it and i'll give you guys the names of the leagues and the passwords and etc. 

Like I said, it is JUST premier league...but it looks fantastic anyway. 

What the heck is coca cola 1?  is that a league?

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
serb1389 said:
Ukiemeister said:
serb1389 said:

ytterbiumanalyst said:
serb1389 said:
It is soccer & I have leagues set up on Yahoo & ESPN if any are interested.  I think its about 4-5 days until the season starts (on the 15th).  PM me about it and i'll give you guys the names of the leagues and the passwords and etc.
Cool! PM coming presently.

It's the level of English football just below the Premier League.

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ytterbiumanalyst said:
serb1389 said:
Ukiemeister said:
serb1389 said:

ytterbiumanalyst said:
serb1389 said:
Cool! PM coming presently.

It's the level of English football just below the Premier League.
Two below the Premier League. Coca-Cola Championship is directly below...

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
Ukiemeister said:
Two below the Premier League. Coca-Cola Championship is directly below...
Ah, I see. Like I say, Premier's the only real football I ever get to see. That, and sometimes there's an MLS game.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Nick - when are invites going out?

admiralnick

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Invites have been officially sent, if you have an e-mail listed on your OC.net profile, the invite was sent there, if you PMed me with your e-mail address, the invite went there. If you don't receive an invite, let me know and I will resend. If you still want to join, its not too late, just let me know if this thread or via PM.

-Nick

admiralnick

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
I've tentatively set the draft date for Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 6:00pm Central Time. Please let me know if this is ok with everyone.

Thanks!

-Nick

copticorthodoxboy

High Elder
Reaction score
Never played, but I'm in.  Don't know but i have a feeling my Skins are going to have a tough season this year  :'(.  And with pretty boy Brady back, NFL pregame shows are going to be unbearable to watch. 
And ytterbiumanalyst and Ukiemeister, take all talk of that sissy sport out of this thread, MUWUHAHAHAHAHAHA!

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
coptic orthodox boy said:
And ytterbiumanalyst and Ukiemeister, take all talk of that sissy sport out of this thread, MUWUHAHAHAHAHAHA!
All right. We'll refrain from talking about that "football" in which all the players wear pads. Wimps.

copticorthodoxboy

High Elder
Reaction score
Mmm...concerning the name choice for American football as "football."  I recall reading a while back that "football" (i.e. "soccer") wasn't given the name "football" because players used their feet as the primary object to move the ball.  Instead, "football" (i.e. "soccer") was given the name "football" because the game was played on human feet (therefore "foot"ball) and not on horseback.  So technically, American football being played not on horseback has a right to be called "football" :p
Haha, ytterbiumanalyst.  Fair enough, pads are worn but at least our players aren't "diving" and rolling around on the field for a few minutes after a slight-contact to no-contact collision occured with a member of the opposing team. 

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
Haha, ytterbiumanalyst.  Fair enough, pads are worn but at least our players aren't "diving" and rolling around on the field for a few minutes after a slight-contact to no-contact collision occured with a member of the opposing team. 
Fair enough.

copticorthodoxboy

High Elder
Reaction score
ytterbiumanalyst, let me state, I am a fan of international football.  Not so much the club version, but when nation vs. nation games are on the television, I do watch (was bummed the US vs. Mexico game wasn't on a few days ago).

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
ytterbiumanalyst, let me state, I am a fan of international football.  Not so much the club version, but when nation vs. nation games are on the television, I do watch (was bummed the US vs. Mexico game wasn't on a few days ago).
I do love the national teams, but really any will do. Televised games are rare this side of the pond (though I am about to watch the first game of the season between Arsenal and Celtic. We have such a drought of football games that I'm content to watch any of them.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
admiralnick said:
I've tentatively set the draft date for Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 6:00pm Central Time. Please let me know if this is ok with everyone.

Thanks!

-Nick
That's my anniversary, and I think we'll be out of the house.  If I can't be there, I'll have set my draft preference list beforehand.

copticorthodoxboy

High Elder
Reaction score
A few questions

Q1.Come draft day, can a player be drafted to multiple teams (for example, can Tom Brady be drafted by more than one team)?

Q2.Does the website automatically tally the scores, or is that done manually by the team owner?

Q3.Well, not really a question; a statement instead: Watch out for the Washington Politicians MUWUAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHAHAHHAhahahHAHAHhahaha :)

Shawn

admiralnick

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
A few questions

Q1.Come draft day, can a player be drafted to multiple teams (for example, can Tom Brady be drafted by more than one team)?

Q2.Does the website automatically tally the scores, or is that done manually by the team owner?

Q3.Well, not really a question; a statement instead: Watch out for the Washington Politicians MUWUAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHAHAHHAhahahHAHAHhahaha :)

Shawn
A1: No, just like if you were forming a real football team, there can only be 1 Tom Brady

A2: The website automatically tallys scores in real time with certification no Tuesday mornings (after the monday night game)

A3: I am horrified of the Washington Politicians.

-The Commish