• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Father Nathan Monk stepping down from priesthood in support of LGBTQ?

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
I had never heard of this lad till today. I find curious that he joined the orthodox church, he seems to be a quite liberal minded SJW kind of person, what he expected from the orthodox church?

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
minasoliman said:
TheTrisagion said:
Apparently Nathan Monk and his wife have divorced. I feel so sad for their poor kids.  :'(

This one of the most difficult things I have ever written. Today, I am announcing that Tashina and I have decided to file for divorce.

Tashina and I first met when she was nineteen and I was twenty-one. Our hearts collided like two comets on a unknown course, would they accidentally create life or would they destroy each other? Young love hits hard, but each of us had lived very hard lives, and so we approached each other with passionate hesitation. We would advance a few steps and then I would run back to the comfort of my pain and confusion. But with each retreat, new ground would be taken and the tiny flame of curiosity quickly roared into a raging and all consuming fire. Our love became a destructive force that even we could not reconcile. That which we had originally approached with such hesitation had now engulfed us so completely that we could not see any reason or logic past the smoke and the flames.

More can be read here:

https://www.facebook.com/nathan.monk.98/posts/10206785169061682

--Mina
Dear Trisagion,

First what's the source for this whole message (did I miss it somewhere)? Second, do you have permission to post this whole message?

Mina
It's posted on his public FB page. I'll get the link when I'm at a computer. I'm on my phone atm.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
No problem; but I also caution that we usually don't like to quote the whole message unless he expressly said it's okay to.

Mina

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
juliogb said:
I had never heard of this lad till today. I find curious that he joined the orthodox church, he seems to be a quite liberal minded SJW kind of person, what he expected from the orthodox church?
He was a homeless advocate for a number of years, and had a good reputation for standing up for the destitute. I respected him for that. He came into Orthodoxy with a passion for its theology, but quickly ended up fighting with his bishop, and then made a very grand and splashy proclamation that he was giving up the priesthood to fight for LGBT rights. From this letter to his fans, it kinda sounds that this was in part due to his wife being bisexual. It is a sad story all the way around. He is a passionate guy, but lacks maturity.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
minasoliman said:
No problem; but I also caution that we usually don't like to quote the whole message unless he expressly said it's okay to.

Mina
I wasn't thinking about that when I posted it. If you feel it should be redacted, I don't have a problem with that. I can't edit it now.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
As soon as you get the link, I'll redact it  :)

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
TheTrisagion said:
juliogb said:
He was a homeless advocate for a number of years, and had a good reputation for standing up for the destitute.
I met him once and attended a service at St. Benedict's in Pensacola when it was still solvent. Genuinely liked the guy.

After the last couple of years, which I gather have been tough, I wish him only the best. I would have said the same even if they weren't.

My thoughts are along the first part of what Alpha60 said — I hope some of the goodness he encountered in his brief stay in Orthodoxy lingers, and the parts that were less savory (I'm thinking episcopal machinations and the weirdness of some of the stuff going on in the ROCOR WRO under Bondi) fades even more with time.

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
juliogb said:
He was a homeless advocate for a number of years, and had a good reputation for standing up for the destitute. I respected him for that. He came into Orthodoxy with a passion for its theology, but quickly ended up fighting with his bishop, and then made a very grand and splashy proclamation that he was giving up the priesthood to fight for LGBT rights. From this letter to his fans, it kinda sounds that this was in part due to his wife being bisexual. It is a sad story all the way around. He is a passionate guy, but lacks maturity.
Yeah, looks like imaturity to me, why was he ordained? A person that jumps from religious comunity to another like that and does not see a problem in his wife's bissexual tendencies shouldn't be a minister. I am not advocating for perfect life priests or something like that, but his issues were considerable to turn a blind eye on them.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
juliogb said:
TheTrisagion said:
juliogb said:
Yeah, looks like imaturity to me, why was he ordained? A person that jumps from religious comunity to another like that and does not see a problem in his wife's bissexual tendencies shouldn't be a minister. I am not advocating for perfect life priests or something like that, but his issues were considerable to turn a blind eye on them.
Leaving the wife out of it —

He was some kind of Protestant preacher, then was ordained in the Old Catholic Movement. At the time he sought Orthodoxy, he was joining through the Antiochian WRO. He and Bishop Antoun apparently had some disagreements (for whatever reason) and so Antoun wasn't going to have him; so he and his church tried to come into Orthodoxy through ROCOR's WR program, which was — at the time — not too judicious in how it was operated.

Though I think the effort was ultimately a mistake on his part, and his letter seems to indicate he feels the same, I think the fact that someone could be rejected by one jurisdiction and picked up almost right away by another was problematic. If ROCOR had taken the time to evaluate the situation, it might have hurt at the time but would have saved him a lot of heartache and them the headache.

No one is innocent, but the hierarchs bear the greater burden.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
minasoliman said:
As soon as you get the link, I'll redact it  :)
I can't figure out how to link it. I'm not the best when it comes to technology.

https://www.facebook.com/nathan.monk.98

That is his facebook site. It was posted 11/14/16.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
If you right click on the date and copy link, you'll get the url (at least that's what I remember when I had Facebook).

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
minasoliman said:
If you right click on the date and copy link, you'll get the url (at least that's what I remember when I had Facebook).
Dang, you were right! I need to keep you around. :p

https://www.facebook.com/nathan.monk.98/posts/10206785169061682

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
Sweet!

Thanks brother!  All fixed!

Mina

Daedelus1138

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Lutheran
Jurisdiction
ELCA
Alpha60 said:
With a lot of people, there is some individual singular thing that causes them to refuse to accept or to reject Orthodoxy.  This issue seems common; we had a member here who basically rejected Orthodoxy for similiar reasons.
I've not encountered anybody on this site who has been so shallow in their reasons for not being Orthodox.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Daedelus1138 said:
Alpha60 said:
With a lot of people, there is some individual singular thing that causes them to refuse to accept or to reject Orthodoxy.  This issue seems common; we had a member here who basically rejected Orthodoxy for similiar reasons.

I've not encountered anybody on this site who has been so shallow in their reasons for not being Orthodox.
Two immediately come to my mind: deusveritasest, and JamesRottnek. I doubt they're the only ones.

Daedelus1138

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Lutheran
Jurisdiction
ELCA
LBK said:
Daedelus1138 said:
Alpha60 said:

Two immediately come to my mind: deusveritasest, and JamesRottnek. I doubt they're the only ones.
I still think that oversimplifies the issue.  There have been gay people that were turned away from the Church by clergy, and framing this as those individuals merely "rejecting Orthodoxy" is unfair.  In some cases, gay people are held to a level of rigorism that others are not.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Daedelus1138 said:
LBK said:
Daedelus1138 said:
Alpha60 said:

I still think that oversimplifies the issue.  There have been gay people that were turned away from the Church by clergy, and framing this as those individuals merely "rejecting Orthodoxy" is unfair.  In some cases, gay people are held to a level of rigorism that others are not.
I disproved your assertion. Now you're shifting goalposts.  ::)

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
LBK said:
Daedelus1138 said:
Alpha60 said:

From what I remember the most pressing issues for the former were Ecumenistic tendencies of OOs. He might have been gay but I don't think he brought that up as much as Ecumenism.

Daedelus1138

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Lutheran
Jurisdiction
ELCA
LBK said:
Daedelus1138 said:
LBK said:
Daedelus1138 said:
Alpha60 said:

I've known James here.  I think his story could be more complicated.

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic Church
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
I rejected it for silly reasons also, so.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
xOrthodox4Christx said:
To be fair, you were against Orthodoxy before you were baptized and then afterward. The notable thing in your case isn't that you reverted (is that what we're calling it?) but that you were baptized at all.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
Daedelus1138 said:
LBK said:
Daedelus1138 said:
LBK said:
Daedelus1138 said:
Alpha60 said:

I've known James here.  I think his story could be more complicated.
Both cases suggested weren't two people who just walked away easily. I wouldn't characterize it as shallow.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
There are a lot of homosexual OC.netters, at least of OC.netters that are or have been active.

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic Church
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Porter ODoran said:
xOrthodox4Christx said:
To be fair, you were against Orthodoxy before you were baptized and then afterward. The notable thing in your case isn't that you reverted (is that what we're calling it?) but that you were baptized at all.
I was taking communion, so I was a member briefly. I tend to keep a low profile, but I was chrismated in April 2015 if memory serves.

Matushka

Reaction score
Nearly 10 years later, and every single time I start to miss the church, I come back to this post to remind myself why we left. I’ve done it numerous times over the years. In some ways, it still feels fresh, but other times it’s as though it’s from another life altogether.

Our separation from each other was healed once we both truly did the work to heal what the church had done to us. The pain is still there sometimes, on nights like this when I wonder if what people said about our youth was true. But as our oldest child is now just a few months from adulthood, I’ve realized that our age was just a talking point, yet another way to discredit what we experienced. We were finally able to grow to forgive both the clergy and ourselves for being human, and reconciled our marriage.

To those of you who were kind even in such a tumultuous time of confusion and harsh words and bizarre theories, thank you. I think and pray for y’all just as often as I pray for those who continue to make noise and cause harm.

1 John 4:20

Please pray for me,
Tashina Monk

hurrrah

Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
Nothing is clear. Who did what and with whom? Who is to blame for what, who forgives whom?

Matushka

Reaction score
Nothing is clear. Who did what and with whom? Who is to blame for what, who forgives whom?
The latest comments about my husband were from 2017, when we separated. I was simply clarifying that we got back together in 2019. It wasn’t because of our personal inability to grow together, as some commenters here speculated, it was largely because the trauma we experienced stunted our growth until we were able to heal from it.

I don’t have the energy to hash out anything. I simply wanted to say both that I’m sorry and also that I forgive. We’re all just doing the best we can as flawed people.

Please pray for me,
Tashina Monk

Last edited:

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
I simply wanted to say both that I’m sorry and also that I forgive. We’re all just doing the best we can as flawed people.

Please pray for me,
Tashina Monk
Glory to God! Lord bless these your children!

Serge

Archon
Reaction score
Website
sergesblog.blogspot.com
Faith
Catholic
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Archdiocese of Philadelphia
The latest comments about my husband were from 2017, when we separated. I was simply clarifying that we got back together in 2019. It wasn’t because of our personal inability to grow together, as some commenters here speculated, it was largely because the trauma we experienced stunted our growth until we were able to heal from it.

I don’t have the energy to hash out anything. I simply wanted to say both that I’m sorry and also that I forgive. We’re all just doing the best we can as flawed people.

Please pray for me,
Tashina Monk
Wishing you, your husband, and your family well.

Katechon

High Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP
Nearly 10 years later, and every single time I start to miss the church, I come back to this post to remind myself why we left. I’ve done it numerous times over the years. In some ways, it still feels fresh, but other times it’s as though it’s from another life altogether.

Our separation from each other was healed once we both truly did the work to heal what the church had done to us. The pain is still there sometimes, on nights like this when I wonder if what people said about our youth was true. But as our oldest child is now just a few months from adulthood, I’ve realized that our age was just a talking point, yet another way to discredit what we experienced. We were finally able to grow to forgive both the clergy and ourselves for being human, and reconciled our marriage.

To those of you who were kind even in such a tumultuous time of confusion and harsh words and bizarre theories, thank you. I think and pray for y’all just as often as I pray for those who continue to make noise and cause harm.

1 John 4:20

Please pray for me,
Tashina Monk
Could you specify your 'experience' a bit?

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Please forgive me, Tashina. I posted very unkind words in this post which demonstrate a great deal of immaturity in my own self. I very much regret being a part of encouraging hurtful gossip about your family. I'm glad to here you and Nathan were able to grow back together. You do seem to have a beautiful family. It is so easy to talk about people on this internet without ever remembering that those are real people with real feelings and emotions. I have worked very hard on that in myself over the last few years, I just wish I could take back all the hurt I spread out for so long.

ilyazhito

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Leaving the wife out of it —

He was some kind of Protestant preacher, then was ordained in the Old Catholic Movement. At the time he sought Orthodoxy, he was joining through the Antiochian WRO. He and Bishop Antoun apparently had some disagreements (for whatever reason) and so Antoun wasn't going to have him; so he and his church tried to come into Orthodoxy through ROCOR's WR program, which was — at the time — not too judicious in how it was operated.

Though I think the effort was ultimately a mistake on his part, and his letter seems to indicate he feels the same, I think the fact that someone could be rejected by one jurisdiction and picked up almost right away by another was problematic. If ROCOR had taken the time to evaluate the situation, it might have hurt at the time but would have saved him a lot of heartache and them the headache.

No one is innocent, but the hierarchs bear the greater burden.
Stuff like this is why Bishop Jerome (Shaw), who was then Bishop of Manhattan and Vicar for the Western Rite, was told to retire by a vote of the ROCOR Synod of Bishops. He is a nice guy, but does not appear to understand people very well.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch but secret ROCOR
Stuff like this is why Bishop Jerome (Shaw), who was then Bishop of Manhattan and Vicar for the Western Rite, was told to retire by a vote of the ROCOR Synod of Bishops. He is a nice guy, but does not appear to understand people very well.
I remember when that happened. The more accounts I read and heard from first-hand people, the more it made sense what the Synod did.