• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Female Altar Servers??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saxon

High Elder
Joined
Sep 1, 2016
Messages
696
Reaction score
257
Points
63
Age
33
Location
Canada
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
None
I went to Liturgy at St. Kosmas Aitolos Monastery a couple of months ago and there were nuns going in and out of the altar.  I was taken aback, particularly given the nature of the monastic network to which it belongs.
 

Aram

High Elder
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
610
Reaction score
3
Points
18
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Saxon said:
I went to Liturgy at St. Kosmas Aitolos Monastery a couple of months ago and there were nuns going in and out of the altar.  I was taken aback, particularly given the nature of the monastic network to which it belongs.
How old were they?
 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
21,477
Reaction score
1,404
Points
113
Age
161
Location
Wandering Fool
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
It's a women's monastery.  There are probably several nuns with the blessing to go in the altar area.
 

Bob2

High Elder
Joined
Sep 22, 2014
Messages
848
Reaction score
1
Points
18
Faith
Orthodox
hecma925 said:
It's a women's monastery.  There are probably several nuns with the blessing to go in the altar area.
Yes, but you'll notice they don't vest, they just assist with the censer, hot water etc. to assist the clergy, and maybe a single nun unvested would bring out the Primikiri for entrances.
 

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
8,571
Reaction score
952
Points
113
Age
31
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Saxon said:
I went to Liturgy at St. Kosmas Aitolos Monastery a couple of months ago and there were nuns going in and out of the altar.  I was taken aback, particularly given the nature of the monastic network to which it belongs.
I've seen it Romania in a female monastery too.
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
36
Points
38
Age
40
Location
PA, USA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
It’s not unusual. Unless there’s a full time deacon on hand it’s a normal thing to happen.
 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
21,477
Reaction score
1,404
Points
113
Age
161
Location
Wandering Fool
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Bob2 said:
hecma925 said:
It's a women's monastery.  There are probably several nuns with the blessing to go in the altar area.
Yes, but you'll notice they don't vest, they just assist with the censer, hot water etc. to assist the clergy, and maybe a single nun unvested would bring out the Primikiri for entrances.
I'm sure; to be fair, Saxon didn't write either way.
 

Saxon

High Elder
Joined
Sep 1, 2016
Messages
696
Reaction score
257
Points
63
Age
33
Location
Canada
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
None
Oh no, not vested. I was just surprised as I spent my first two Orthodox years in a ROCOR parish where the priest literally said that barring women and the unbaptized from stepping into the altar was a matter of life and death.
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
36
Points
38
Age
40
Location
PA, USA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Supposedly the Church of Greece restored deaconesses in the women's monasteries since 2004, though I haven't heard of any specific cases. Whether these deaconesses would actually be vested I don't know.
 

Orest

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Messages
1,567
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Saxon said:
Oh no, not vested. I was just surprised as I spent my first two Orthodox years in a ROCOR parish where the priest literally said that barring women and the unbaptized from stepping into the altar was a matter of life and death.
Obviously your former priest did not know much about church history.
 

Agabus

The user formerly known as Agabus
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
6,344
Reaction score
50
Points
48
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
Orest said:
Saxon said:
Oh no, not vested. I was just surprised as I spent my first two Orthodox years in a ROCOR parish where the priest literally said that barring women and the unbaptized from stepping into the altar was a matter of life and death.
Obviously your former priest did not know much about church history.
The stories about that priest, if true (and I have no reason to doubt Saxon), indicate he did not know much about Christ.
 

isxodnik

High Elder
Joined
Dec 29, 2018
Messages
794
Reaction score
5
Points
18
Location
RF
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
I have not read all 11 pages, sorry if I repeat what said before me.

In the female monastery let to serve at the altar of elderly virgins. There is a similar (outside monastery it is more difficult to find an elderly virgin) practice at parishes because of the lack of men.

It happens that women are attracted to the service of manhood(?) people-pleasing(?). For example, at the Moscow school for children of wealthy parents "pushed aside" Sexton, and invite mommy`s to take a walk on the Solea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfhJGug5dRY
 

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
8,571
Reaction score
952
Points
113
Age
31
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
isxodnik said:
I have not read all 11 pages, sorry if I repeat what said before me.

In the female monastery let to serve at the altar of elderly virgins. There is a similar (outside monastery it is more difficult to find an elderly virgin) practice at parishes because of the lack of men.
So it's better to read 11 pages and see various traditions.

isxodnik said:
It happens that women are attracted to the service of manhood(?) people-pleasing(?). For example, at the Moscow school for children of wealthy parents "pushed aside" Sexton, and invite mommy`s to take a walk on the Solea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfhJGug5dRY
I suppose the channel took the video from another one (Macedonian Genuine Orthodox Church?); anyway it's clearly written it's Sunday of the Myrrhbearers. I've heard about Ukrainian parishes that on this day women do a lot of liturgical stuff, like chanting the Epistle, keeping ilition (the cloth), so procession with candles would be one of them.
Edit: but generaly during Paschal time at my POC parish children, including girls, hold in processions small banners with saints and crosses. I've seen also an Old Believer procession with women holding lanterns.
 

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Apr 10, 2012
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
4
Points
0
There is no place for female deacons or altar servers anymore because we aren't baptized naked anymore. Nun's are allowed in convents because other than the priest there generally aren't any other men around. The desire to want to bring this back comes from pride and the thought that is telling the person, "Why can't I serve, I want to serve, the Church used to allow this, why no longer, we need to bring it back because I want this" and is more less saying "Me me me." St Theophan the Recluse in Unseen Warfare's first chapter mentions not to trust your thoughts. This is what the enemy does, puts a burning passion in us and dresses it as being a good thing when it really isn't.

 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,459
Reaction score
370
Points
83
Age
41
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Peacemaker said:
The desire to want to bring this back comes from pride...
We’re aware of your expertise in this field, but there are good reasons for bringing it back (and it has existed here and there, albeit in a minor way, throughout the history of the Church, so it’s not really a matter of bringing it back).  But those reasons have a lot to do with ministry to women, and as an aspiring monk, you should flee even the remembrance of your own mother, let alone other women.
 

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Apr 10, 2012
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
4
Points
0
Mor Ephrem said:
Peacemaker said:
The desire to want to bring this back comes from pride...
We’re aware of your expertise in this field, but there are good reasons for bringing it back (and it has existed here and there, albeit in a minor way, throughout the history of the Church, so it’s not really a matter of bringing it back).  But those reasons have a lot to do with ministry to women, and as an aspiring monk, you should flee even the remembrance of your own mother, let alone other women.
I am going to ignore your ignorant personal attacks on me, God help. However I am curious what ministries exist in which you think a woman should be in place of a priest?
 

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Apr 10, 2012
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
4
Points
0
Mor Ephrem said:
Peacemaker said:
There is no place for female deacons or altar servers anymore because we aren't baptized naked anymore.
But we should be.
What are your thoughts on Bishops not being allowed to marry anymore?
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
24,511
Reaction score
829
Points
113
Age
49
Location
Florida, U.S., north of Tampa
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
Sidebar question: why don't we baptize adults naked anymore, since the church is not supposed to obey social standards?
 

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Apr 10, 2012
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
4
Points
0
biro said:
Sidebar question: why don't we baptize adults naked anymore, since the church is not supposed to obey social standards?
Because it wasn't just being naked, it was being naked in front of the entire parish. We are weaker as a society now and it can be a cause for temptation and scandal.
 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
21,477
Reaction score
1,404
Points
113
Age
161
Location
Wandering Fool
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
"THE CHURCH THAT BAPTIZES IN THE BUFF"

Great marketing; no longer the "best kept secret".
 

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Joined
Jun 16, 2008
Messages
2,477
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Sunny Southern Cal
hecma925 said:
"THE CHURCH THAT BAPTIZES IN THE BUFF"

Great marketing; no longer the "best kept secret".
LOL...I'm gonna suggest that next time someone in my parish complains we're not getting enough visitors!  8)
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,459
Reaction score
370
Points
83
Age
41
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Peacemaker said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Peacemaker said:
The desire to want to bring this back comes from pride...
We’re aware of your expertise in this field, but there are good reasons for bringing it back (and it has existed here and there, albeit in a minor way, throughout the history of the Church, so it’s not really a matter of bringing it back).  But those reasons have a lot to do with ministry to women, and as an aspiring monk, you should flee even the remembrance of your own mother, let alone other women.
I am going to ignore your ignorant personal attacks on me, God help. However I am curious what ministries exist in which you think a woman should be in place of a priest?
Who said anything about “in place of a priest”?  Not I.
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,459
Reaction score
370
Points
83
Age
41
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Peacemaker said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Peacemaker said:
There is no place for female deacons or altar servers anymore because we aren't baptized naked anymore.
But we should be.
What are your thoughts on Bishops not being allowed to marry anymore?
Bishops should not be allowed to marry.  Married men, on the other hand, could be ordained to the episcopacy, as they are to the diaconate and the priesthood, and that may not be a bad thing.  Considering some of the bishops we have today, it may even be preferable.
 

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
21,477
Reaction score
1,404
Points
113
Age
161
Location
Wandering Fool
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
theistgal said:
hecma925 said:
"THE CHURCH THAT BAPTIZES IN THE BUFF"

Great marketing; no longer the "best kept secret".
LOL...I'm gonna suggest that next time someone in my parish complains we're not getting enough visitors!  8)
I bet the conversation with my dad all those years ago would have been different.  Instead of answering my question of "What's this Orthodox Church?" with, "They're the same as Catholics," he would have said, "They baptize people nekkid; it ain't right."

I would have darkened my parish's door wayyyyyy sooner.
 

Orest

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Messages
1,567
Reaction score
1
Points
36
We’re aware of your expertise in this field, but there are good reasons for bringing it back (and it has existed here and there, albeit in a minor way, throughout the history of the Church, so it’s not really a matter of bringing it back).  But those reasons have a lot to do with ministry to women, and as an aspiring monk, you should flee even the remembrance of your own mother, let alone other women.
[/quote]

However I am curious what ministries exist in which you think a woman should be in place of a priest?
[/quote]

No one in all the pages said anything about a deaconess replacing a priest except you.  Our church is seriously lacking in pastoral ministry and a deaconess could help in the areas of counselling, teaching.  Go and read all the proceedings of all the pan-Orthodox conferences on women in the Orthodox Church.
 

isxodnik

High Elder
Joined
Dec 29, 2018
Messages
794
Reaction score
5
Points
18
Location
RF
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
God forbid from women-catechist!
 

isxodnik

High Elder
Joined
Dec 29, 2018
Messages
794
Reaction score
5
Points
18
Location
RF
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
In addition to the 1Corinth. 14:34? Well,
emotionalism
the higher incidence of vainglory and pride, the hierarchical race. And with your nose up, you can't teach Christianity.
less flexibility, rigor. As Anton Pavlovich Chekhov said, a woman is like a bag: what you put in it, then carries. Cramming/dweeb/bookworm.
focus on the little things, elevating them to the rank of law. A man, coming to Church, thinks about God, a woman - how to stand up, how to give a candle, how it looks and what others will think about it.

In General, a woman is a worse teacher than a man. Remember, at what age you already knew how to miss the words of a girlfriend past the ears ))
 

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Aug 13, 2015
Messages
1,490
Reaction score
21
Points
38
Age
21
Faith
Episcopalian-ish
Jurisdiction
I pray for all bishops
I wasn’t aware I had wandered into 4chan.
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
24,511
Reaction score
829
Points
113
Age
49
Location
Florida, U.S., north of Tampa
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
I am a woman, isxodnik.

How horrible your views are.

What are you, 12?
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
24,511
Reaction score
829
Points
113
Age
49
Location
Florida, U.S., north of Tampa
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
St. Paul said a woman should not have the teaching authority over men.

He did not say women could not teach women.
 

isxodnik

High Elder
Joined
Dec 29, 2018
Messages
794
Reaction score
5
Points
18
Location
RF
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
biro said:
How horrible your views are.

What are you, 12?
... and still women always pass on personality ))
 

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
8,571
Reaction score
952
Points
113
Age
31
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
isxodnik said:
In addition to the 1Corinth. 14:34? Well,
emotionalism
the higher incidence of vainglory and pride, the hierarchical race. And with your nose up, you can't teach Christianity.
less flexibility, rigor. As Anton Pavlovich Chekhov said, a woman is like a bag: what you put in it, then carries. Cramming/dweeb/bookworm.
focus on the little things, elevating them to the rank of law. A man, coming to Church, thinks about God, a woman - how to stand up, how to give a candle, how it looks and what others will think about it.

In General, a woman is a worse teacher than a man. Remember, at what age you already knew how to miss the words of a girlfriend past the ears ))
Poor female teachers of the Orthodox religion at public and Sunday schools... Poor their pupils...
No doubt!

All the mothers and sister of saints, that often taught them what it means to belong to Christ and live Christian life...
Anathema!
 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Moderator
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 22, 2012
Messages
13,135
Reaction score
862
Points
113
Age
50
Location
Camulodunum
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
isxodnik said:
In addition to the 1Corinth. 14:34? Well,
emotionalism
the higher incidence of vainglory and pride, the hierarchical race. And with your nose up, you can't teach Christianity.
less flexibility, rigor. As Anton Pavlovich Chekhov said, a woman is like a bag: what you put in it, then carries. Cramming/dweeb/bookworm.
focus on the little things, elevating them to the rank of law. A man, coming to Church, thinks about God, a woman - how to stand up, how to give a candle, how it looks and what others will think about it.

In General, a woman is a worse teacher than a man. Remember, at what age you already knew how to miss the words of a girlfriend past the ears ))
Agabus said:
I will file this under "LOL Russians."
 

isxodnik

High Elder
Joined
Dec 29, 2018
Messages
794
Reaction score
5
Points
18
Location
RF
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
On Russian network runs a joke:

You ask a question on the American forum-you answer.
You ask a question at the Israeli forum-you are asked a question.
You ask a question on the Russian forum-you explain what you [redacted ~Arachne]

You guys are not from Russia? ))

I was asked to explain why I said as I said - I explained based on my experience
- the passage of the catechism
- communication with women
- communication with Church women
Is there a problem? Well, let's sit in silence, each in his corner, or just to say "yes, yes, yes"...

10% for profanity on a moderated forum. Please reacquaint yourself with the forum rules.

If you wish to appeal the ruling, you can do so by PM.

~Arachne, Section Moderator
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
24,511
Reaction score
829
Points
113
Age
49
Location
Florida, U.S., north of Tampa
Faith
Episcopal
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Florida
isxodnik said:
On Russian network runs a joke:

You ask a question on the American forum-you answer.
You ask a question at the Israeli forum-you are asked a question.
You ask a question on the Russian forum-you explain what you [redacted ~Arachne]

You guys are not from Russia? ))

I was asked to explain why I said as I said - I explained based on my experience
- the passage of the catechism
- communication with women
- communication with Church women
Is there a problem? Well, let's sit in silence, each in his corner, or just to say "yes, yes, yes"...
Nothing you say makes sense. I'm not talking about the language barrier.
 

isxodnik

High Elder
Joined
Dec 29, 2018
Messages
794
Reaction score
5
Points
18
Location
RF
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ROC
Die of curiosity )
-----------
Yes, one form of psychological defense is denial.

This is a deep offtopic, let's tie.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top