• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Fifth Century Church Found in Connecticut

drewmeister2

Elder
Reaction score
A fifth-century church has been found in Connecticut:

"In the stillness of Cockaponset State Forest, southern Connecticut, near the town of Guilford, masterfully
carved from solid rock, stands North America’s oldest Christian church. Recent epigraphic evidence found here suggests that it is 1500 years old, and linked to a voyage of Christian Byzantine monks who fled from North Africa during the 5th Century, in the wake of the Vandal invasions. Greek and North African inscriptions, Greek cupule patterns in the form of Chrismons (monograms of Christ), baptismal fonts, a cathedra or throne, candelabras and an altar have been found at the site."

Read the rest of the story here: http://orthodoxinfo.com/general/connecticuts-5th-century-church.pdf

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
*YAWN*

Ancient American magazine is quite a joke amongst the archaeological community in North America.  One of their "site reports" was shown to us archaeology students in colleges as an example of how to NOT do archaeology.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Dos it support LDS' theories? :D

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
Ancient American is a general-interest magazine, not a scholarly journal. Its articles are written by staff writers, not by researchers, and it is not peer-reviewed. A discovery of this magnitude (essentially a revision of pre-Columbian history) would certainly be in a peer-reviewed journal. It is not; I've checked EBSCO.

Essentially, I'd place this article in the same category as the Weekly World News.

chris

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.belarusancathedral.org
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OAA
Love this quote, showing the author's modernist viewpoint:  :mad:

Among them was Arianism, after a late 4th Century Alexandrian priest who preached against the alleged divinity of Jesus.
(bold text mine)

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
ytterbiumanalyst said:
Ancient American is a general-interest magazine, not a scholarly journal. Its articles are written by staff writers, not by researchers, and it is not peer-reviewed. A discovery of this magnitude (essentially a revision of pre-Columbian history) would certainly be in a peer-reviewed journal. It is not; I've checked EBSCO.

Essentially, I'd place this article in the same category as the Weekly World News.
WWN at least knows that it's being silly and facetious (I had a friend who was on staff there once!).  :)

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOA - Metropolis of Denver
Well, Early Christians WERE in NA before any explorers...

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Brendan_the_Voyager

Our venerable and God-bearing father Brendan the Navigator (or the Voyager) was a sixth-century Irish Orthodox monk. He was perhaps the first Orthodox Christian to set foot on Canadian soil, and as such, is the first of the saints to set foot in North America. He is also known as Brendan of Clonfert. He is remembered by the Church on May 16.
This was a 6th Century Saint who landed in Newfoundland with a group of early Christians...

Looking at the article, I noticed something in the pictures... In the map of the cave, under the number 12 (which I assume is actually on a wall rather than the top of the rock) is a three-bar shaped cross in the style pre-dating the modern form w/ horizontal bars.

SDMPNS

High Elder
Reaction score
The mormons love that rag...they are still trying to prove the lies in the Book of Mormon.
There could have been some Christians sailing with the vikings..although we all know the greeks were here first.. ;D

NorthernPines

High Elder
Reaction score
SDMPNS said:
The mormons love that rag...they are still trying to prove the lies in the Book of Mormon.
There could have been some Christians sailing with the vikings..although we all know the greeks were here first.. ;D
And thus the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople really does of jurisdiction over North America! I think the EP has found it's "smoking gun"....LOL!

(of course I am joking)

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
GOA - Metropolis of Denver
Since they were from North Africa, it could be the Patriarch of Alexandria that really has jurisdiction! ;)

However, you could still argue the MP has jurisdiction since they are the one church that missionized & really stayed in North America evangelizing and spreading Orthodoxy.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
88Devin12 said:
However, you could still argue the MP has jurisdiction since they are the one church that missionized & really stayed in North America evangelizing and spreading Orthodoxy.
And yet with such a claim they still want us to take the reigns and lead our own church!  Imagine!

Elisha

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
mike said:
I think you might know more about American history and religions (i.e. Protestant sects) than most Americans.  Kinda scary.

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
88Devin12 said:
Since they were from North Africa, it could be the Patriarch of Alexandria that really has jurisdiction! ;)
Not quite. Technically in the fifth century North Africa that would be Church of Hippo under Rome - Hippo then soon to be extinguished by the Muslim scourge. Maybe they were refugees... ;)

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Elisha said:
mike said:
I think you might know more about American history and religions (i.e. Protestant sects) than most Americans.  Kinda scary.
lol

Eugenio

Elder
Reaction score
No doubt Thor Heyerdahl built this church in a former life.

/sarcasm  ;D

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
What is wrong with Thor Heyerdahl?  I mostly know him from "Kon Tiki", the "Ra" voyages, the "Tigris" and other sailing expeditions.  This sort of article reminds me more of Von Daniken. 

Eugenio

Elder
Reaction score
Oh, shoot. You're right Ebor. Van Danniken was the guy who I was thinking of.

Who was the guy who said the Egyptians sailed to Chile and imported papyrus there?

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
Schultz said:
ytterbiumanalyst said:

WWN at least knows that it's being silly and facetious (I had a friend who was on staff there once!).  :)
Cool! It's actually my favourite tabloid, for the fact that it's not really trying to mislead people but just to entertain them with tall tales. Unfortunately, there are some who will believe even the whoppers WWN tells.