• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Figure of Speech/Colloquial Language?

rstrats

Reaction score
Faith
Atheist
Jurisdiction
etc.
1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth" 

2. There are those who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. Of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb.

4. A 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved with His time in the tomb.

5. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, some of those  mentioned above have said that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language.

6. I would like to ask anyone who thinks that it was common,  if they could  provide examples to support that belief; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime and/or no part of the night time could have occurred. 

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Christ was resurrected on the 3rd day post His death.

Died Friday
- in tomb Friday
- in tomb Saturday
- in tomb Sunday (If He were not in the tomb at all on Sunday, He would have resurrected on Saturday)
Resurrected Sunday early morning

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
What else could "heart of the earth" be referring to? Do you think Jesus was predicting that He'd tunnel to the center of the earth?

If that kind of imprecision is allowable, then why shouldn't "three days and three nights" also be allowable as just a term for the completion of that general time period? What should Jesus have said, in your opinion? "Two days and some change?"

EDIT: My apologies if that sounded harsh in tone.

rstrats

Reaction score
Faith
Atheist
Jurisdiction
etc.
Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new visiting this topic may know of examples.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
The book, The Syrian Christ by Abraham Rihbany has some good ones, iirc.

Volnutt said:
What else could "heart of the earth" be referring to? Do you think Jesus was predicting that He'd tunnel to the center of the earth?

If that kind of imprecision is allowable, then why shouldn't "three days and three nights" also be allowable as just a term for the completion of that general time period? What should Jesus have said, in your opinion? "Two days and some change?"

EDIT: My apologies if that sounded harsh in tone.
I still think this is relevant.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
Supposedly had been the Historical figure of Jesus Christ.

rstrats

Reaction score
Faith
Atheist
Jurisdiction
etc.
Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in on this topic who believes the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week, and who thinks the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb, and who tries to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language of the time, will have examples to support that position, i.e., that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
rstrats said:
Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in on this topic who believes the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week, and who thinks the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb, and who tries to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language of the time, will have examples to support that position, i.e., that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur.
Not sure about your particular barbaric tongue, but in my native Portuguese it's the expected way to tell time to count days from the calendar rather than from 24-hour periods.

Now, yom is used all over the Old Testament to talk specifically about the morning/afternoon, which is also how dies worked in Roman timekeeping. In lack of a better word to express the important salvific and symbolic fact that Christ was in the tomb for Friday/Saturday/Sunday, talking about "day and night" was proper as metonymy.

rstrats

Reaction score
Faith
Atheist
Jurisdiction
etc.
RaphaCam,
re:  "Not sure about your particular barbaric tongue, but in my native Portuguese it's the expected way to tell time to count days from the calendar rather than from 24-hour periods."

That's an issue for a different topic.

rstrats

Reaction score
Faith
Atheist
Jurisdiction
etc.
Point #3 of the OP should be changed to read: "3. Of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to the moment when the Messiah's spirit left His body."

rstrats

Reaction score
Faith
Atheist
Jurisdiction
etc.
Perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples.