• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Finding a new confessor

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
I'm in a difficult situation.  I need to find a new confessor and I don't have clue one as to how to go about this.  I know several priests but I don't know if I'd be comfortable with one of them. Also, geographic distance is also an issue.  How should I proceed?

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps contacting a local monastery (one closest to you).

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
IXOYE said:
Perhaps contacting a local monastery (one closest to you).
No, that won't work. THe nearest to me is 14 hours away though I have been there a few times over the course of the past 10 years for some spiritual "re-charging."

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Transhumant Vlach shepherds used to confess to trees and commune with  various tree buds around Pascha.

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good general article on the subject: http://orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/spiritualfather.aspx

In the Omaha area, there are quite a few Orthodox churches.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
  I know several priests but I don't know if I'd be comfortable with one of them.
That rules one out.

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
I'm in a difficult situation.  I need to find a new confessor and I don't have clue one as to how to go about this.  I know several priests but I don't know if I'd be comfortable with one of them. Also, geographic distance is also an issue.  How should I proceed?
Assuming you still have contact with your current confessor, you might ask him for a recommendation or at least for some advice about how to find a confessor who will be appropriate for you. After all, your current confessor knows you, your needs and your struggles fairly well if you've been working with him for any length of time so knows what sort of confessor would be most beneficial for you.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) said:
Good general article on the subject: http://orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/spiritualfather.aspx

In the Omaha area, there are quite a few Orthodox churches.
Yes, but I'm looking for outside of Omaha but not somewhere so distant that travel would be a burden to me and to my family.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
Transhumant Vlach shepherds used to confess to trees and commune with  various tree buds around Pascha.
Say more...