• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Fire at Mount Athos

Pan Michał

Elder
Reaction score
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/fire-isolated-greek-monastic-community-spreads-16965326

Doesn't sound good, given that they still fight with fire. Then again, it's nothing unusual in Greece.

Seems that no one is hurt so far. Wonder if the monasteries were damaged, or are they endangered.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
... ??? Someone putting out a cigarette?..

Pan Michał

Elder
Reaction score
WPM said:
Could be, but I wouldn't be especially surprised if it's "just" a wildfire - forests in Greece burn quite often, due to the summer Balkan/Mediterranean climate, it doesn't have to be a fire set by man.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
WPM said:
Yes, they gotta stop smoking like a chimney.  :police:

Lord have mercy. I hope they can put the fire out before it destroys more of the Holy Mountain or the nearby villages.

PrincessMommy

High Elder
Reaction score
wow.  Lord have mercy.  I couldn't help but notice how uptight the writer was by the fact that women are not allowed on Mt Athos.  It's mentioned 2x in the first two paragraphs. 

Pan Michał

Elder
Reaction score
PrincessMommy said:
wow.  Lord have mercy.   I couldn't help but notice how uptight the writer was by the fact that women are not allowed on Mt Athos.  It's mentioned 2x in the first two paragraphs.  
Hah, didn't notice that at first. Maybe he thought it will make the article more interesting.

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
PrincessMommy said:
wow.  Lord have mercy.   I couldn't help but notice how uptight the writer was by the fact that women are not allowed on Mt Athos.  It's mentioned 2x in the first two paragraphs.  
The European Union raised quite a stink about that in the past.
What no female cattle (moo) allowed on Mt. Athos?
Never mind that females are considered to be cattle in Islam.

The European Union probably wanted to forget that during WW II, Jewish women were allowed on Mt. Athos, and were dressed as monks to save their lives from the Nazis.

Pan Michał

Elder
Reaction score
Maria said:
What no female cows allowed on Mt. Athos?

They wanted to forget that during WW II, Jewish women were allowed on Mt. Athos, and were dressed as monks to save their lives from the Nazis.
It's typical. Priest saving Jews from Einsatzkommandos? Or sacrificing himself for others in death camp? Nah, who would buy that. Priest pedophile? Now that's a story.

Zenovia

High Elder
Reaction score
Pan Michał said:
Maria said:
What no female cows allowed on Mt. Athos?

They wanted to forget that during WW II, Jewish women were allowed on Mt. Athos, and were dressed as monks to save their lives from the Nazis.
It's typical. Priest saving Jews from Einsatzkommandos? Or sacrificing himself for others in death camp? Nah, who would buy that. Priest pedophile? Now that's a story.
Yeah, well there are those that keep wanting the Vatican to dig deeper and deeper with the hope of finding something so they can sue them.  It would make all those Jews that were hiding there, and hiding in the monasteries in Rome under the direction of the Pope turn in their graves.  They were all so grateful. 

As for the fire at Mount Athos, it turned out it was started by a Lithuanian worker that happened to be a known arsonist.  At one time fires were started by Greeks, that wanted their lands cleared so they could develop them.  More recently, those catastrophic fires that are occuring in August, a time when the trade winds are blowing and the trees are kindling wood,  foreign arsonists are  suspected. ..although the Greek government won't say so.  It was admitted though  by a Turk in one of their courts, that he was sent to a Greek island by the government at that time to start a fire.. 

Greece has a real problem with the killings and robberies from illegal refugees from  neighboring countries as well as the one neighbor that's running an 'underground' railroad from Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh into Greece with the intent of harming Greece's economy even more so.  Spain suffers the same problem.  I guess Islam wants desperately to restore its caliphates. 

And then there's Amnesty International who doesn't make mention of the fifteen year old girl that was mercilessly hit on the head by an illegal Pakistani, and is fighting for her life on the island of Paros.  Nor the  criminals that come down from Albania and endanger the elderly and everyone else as well, to the point where every apartment and house has iron shutters on its windows and doors. Today there was just another robbery with masked men on an island, in which the taxi driver that tried to stop them was killed.  What Amnesty International did report though, is how cruel the Greek police are in rounding up six thousand illegals in a nation with five hundred thousand of them, and taking them to  detention centers so they could be sent home.  :mad:

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
What's Amnesty International?

Zenovia

High Elder
Reaction score
Nephi said:
An idiotic group that protects human rights...supposedly.  It supports abortion, I guess that's a human right.  Anyway it made a point in the newspapers yesterday, about the way Greece is rounding up the illegals.  ???

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Zenovia said:
Nephi said:
An idiotic group that protects human rights...supposedly.  It supports abortion, I guess that's a human right.  Anyway it made a point in the newspapers yesterday, about the way Greece is rounding up the illegals.   ???
Oh, thanks. I know exactly the sort of "human rights" group it is then.  :-\

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Heavy rains extinguished it almost entirely.

http://www.pravmir.ru/pozhar-na-afone-prakticheski-potushen-livnem/

Zenovia

High Elder
Reaction score
Michał Kalina said:

See, the monks prayers worked.  It doesn't usually rain in August.  Now if they'd only try it in the rest of Greece.  Yeah right! ;)

Gorazd

Archon
Reaction score
Maria said:
Reference?
Usually, women are considered half a man in Islam (for example, in matters of heritage or testimony) and if they are Muslim, they are allowed to go to Mecca. Non-Muslims are out. Whereas on Athos, even the most pious Orthodox woman is banned, but male Hindus have visited.

Maria said:
The European Union probably wanted to forget that during WW II, Jewish women were allowed on Mt. Athos, and were dressed as monks to save their lives from the Nazis.
One good does not excuse another evil.

Zenovia

High Elder
Reaction score
Gorazd said:
Maria said:
Reference?
Usually, women are considered half a man in Islam (for example, in matters of heritage or testimony) and if they are Muslim, they are allowed to go to Mecca. Non-Muslims are out. Whereas on Athos, even the most pious Orthodox woman is banned, but male Hindus have visited.

Maria said:
One good does not excuse another evil.
The monks do not want to be distracted with women and children running around...not to mention young girls with mini skirts.  ::)  What's so evil about that? 

Zenovia

High Elder
Reaction score
Maria said:
Michał Kalina said:

Glory to Jesus Christ.
So the latest news is, that there was a paraklesis said to the miraculous icon of the Serbian Hilandar monastery, which was being threatened by the fire... and then 'miraculously' a cloud appeared above it.  The fire was immediately extinguished which surprised the meteorologists, since they had absolutely no sign of any clouds.  There are two more fires on the mountain which are still burning.  Anyway, I still think its sabotage...which reminds me of a prophecy I once read:  In the last years people will not love trees.  I guess if they're not being cut down, they're being burnt.  For shame, shame, shame!  :mad:

Zenovia

High Elder
Reaction score
Michał Kalina said:
Zenovia said:
I still think its sabotage...
?
Okay let me explain.  For thirty years Turkey has been trying to hurt Greece economically.  It would send it's jets into Greek airspace before tourist season with the intent of scaring the tourists away.  Turkey has made claims on the Aegean, and has threatened Greece the way it did Cyprus not to search for gas or oil, and when Noble was willing to share its profits equally between Greece and Turkey, they declined, even though it is not even Turkish waters, but Greek waters. 

Recently a person admitted in a Turkish court that the previous government had sent him to start  fires on one of its islands, and there was also an admission in one of their courts, that they planned on having one of their planes shot down before the Olympic games in Greece, so they could start a war.  All this was to hurt the Greek economy...as well as to grab a few islands.

About six years ago,  sixty fires  lit up  in the Peloponesus on the exact day the trade winds began to blow.  The damage was extensive, and the smoke could be seen as far as Italy.  There is no way I'm going to believe that these sixty fires were caused by accident.  If there were three fires burning on Athos,  it seems highly suspicious to me.  The arsonist might have been paid.  When I said its probably sabotage, I meant 'economic' sabotage, since the damage and cost of putting out fires is expensive...not to mention the years it takes to grow trees in a climate that rains  very little in the  summer.

To be honest, I'm suspicious of the fires in Spain as well, since they too are threatened by  Islamists who want to restore their caliphate.  Okay, okay, I'm a suspicious person, but with good cause.  anyway I apologize for going into politics, but how else could I have answered you?  :-\