First word of 1 John 1:1

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Greetings!

An Omicron with an accent, " ὃ", is usually a relative pronoun. Is it still true when it begins a passage?

1 John 1:1, " ὃ ἦν ἀπ᾽ ἀρχῆς ὃ ἀκηκόαμεν ὃ ἑωράκαμεν τοῖς ὀφθαλμοῖς ἡμῶν ὃ ἐθεασάμεθα καὶ αἱ χεῖρες ἡμῶν ἐψηλάφησαν περὶ τοῦ λόγου τῆς ζωῆς."

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
O.K. So it sounds like it is justifiable to translate it as "what" or "that" like some English translations do.
Does the first Omicron have an antecedent?

MalpanaGiwargis

High Elder
Reaction score
The antecedent can be omitted, especially when it is indefinite. This Attic example seems similar:

ἅ μὴ οἶδα οὐδὲ οἴομαι εἰδέναι.
What I do not know, I also do not think I know. (Plato Apology 21d)

Goodell's A School Grammar of Attic Greek is online and has a lot of info. I think translating the opening relative in 1 John 1:1 as "That which..." or the like is probably the best way to handle it in English.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Thank you. With my very, very, limited knowledge of Greek, I have seen "τίς" as "what," but did not know that about the relative pronouns.

MalpanaGiwargis

High Elder
Reaction score
Thank you. With my very, very, limited knowledge of Greek, I have seen "τίς" as "what," but did not know that about the relative pronouns.
Part of the confusion is undoubtedly that, while Greek has a variety of pronouns, English uses the same words for multiple purposes, especially "that." It's an adverb, a conjunction, an adjective, and multiple types of pronouns.

Cavaradossi

Archon
Reaction score
Greetings!

An Omicron with an accent, " ὃ", is usually a relative pronoun. Is it still true when it begins a passage?

1 John 1:1, " ὃ ἦν ἀπ᾽ ἀρχῆς ὃ ἀκηκόαμεν ὃ ἑωράκαμεν τοῖς ὀφθαλμοῖς ἡμῶν ὃ ἐθεασάμεθα καὶ αἱ χεῖρες ἡμῶν ἐψηλάφησαν περὶ τοῦ λόγου τῆς ζωῆς."
The neuter relative pronoun (especially when it leads a sentence) can be used in an abstract sense, with an abstract idea or entire clause as the antecedent. Often we can translate it as “as to what” in this particular circumstance.