• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Fish Tacos, etc.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
So as to avert a total meltdown of another thread, I've taken the fish by the tail and started this thread with Gebre and Biro specifically in mind  ;D.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I find tacos, properly made, to be delicious. This is what I mean by properly made:

- A shell, preferably hard
- Ample hamburger, seasoning added
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Ortega mild sauce

A few odds and ends may be added... perhaps  a tomato, or a pepper. But that's it. Anything more is a travesty.

Any other concoction using the name taco is a travesty. An utter shame of a shame.

Same goes for things using the word "salad." Do we have no other names for disgusting dishes like Potato salad? I refuse to eat anything with the word "salad" in it, including salad.

But tacos. Yeah. I like my tacos like I like my women: cheap and easily found at Walmart. Thus I prefer Ortega taco kits, though Old El Paso is also acceptable.

Now fish tacos? What is that? Like a Mexican sushi? Disgusting. Plain old disgusting.

Do you hipsters have to ruin everything? I mean, really?

I've never actually had one, but I'm pretty sure this is the way I feel.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
I've got a Mexican place down the street.  The other day when I was at the drive through getting a fajita salad, I saw fish tacos on the board.  I was tempted....but, I fought the temptation and won.

I wonder what they are really like.  I guess it's Wednesday.  Good day to try the fish taco.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
proper tacos: tortilla plus steak plus onions plus cilantro.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
I absolutely LOVE cilantro!!!

I like just a bit chopped up and added to a cuke and onion salad.

I like it in all my dishes.

...but, I hardly ever use it....because it goes bad so quickly!!!!

I will buy a bunch.  Use a snip the first day.  What should I do with the rest?

I've tried leaving open on the counter, in a paper bag in the frig, plastic bag in frig, stems dunked in a glass of water....nope...none of it worked.  In two days flat it all turns to green slimy gunk.

...and the dried stuff...well, it's not even close to fresh cilantro.

elephant

High Elder
Reaction score
Dear Liza,

I have found the best method is to store in a glass jar, stems in a couple inches of water, covered with a plastic bag and in the fridge.  If you can buy it with roots it will keep much better.  Otherwise trim the stems and use the thinnest ones first.  You might get 10 days. 

If you really like cilantro try "pesto" made with it.

Love, elephant

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
I absolutely LOVE cilantro!!!

I like just a bit chopped up and added to a cuke and onion salad.

I like it in all my dishes.

...but, I hardly ever use it....because it goes bad so quickly!!!!

I will buy a bunch.  Use a snip the first day.  What should I do with the rest?

I've tried leaving open on the counter, in a paper bag in the frig, plastic bag in frig, stems dunked in a glass of water....nope...none of it worked.  In two days flat it all turns to green slimy gunk.

...and the dried stuff...well, it's not even close to fresh cilantro.
Freeze it!  Works great!

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
I find tacos, properly made, to be delicious. This is what I mean by properly made:

- A shell, preferably hard
- Ample hamburger, seasoning added
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Ortega mild sauce

A few odds and ends may be added... perhaps  a tomato, or a pepper. But that's it. Anything more is a travesty.

Any other concoction using the name taco is a travesty. An utter shame of a shame.

Same goes for things using the word "salad." Do we have no other names for disgusting dishes like Potato salad? I refuse to eat anything with the word "salad" in it, including salad.

But tacos. Yeah. I like my tacos like I like my women: cheap and easily found at Walmart. Thus I prefer Ortega taco kits, though Old El Paso is also acceptable.

Now fish tacos? What is that? Like a Mexican sushi? Disgusting. Plain old disgusting.

Agreed, although other types of cheese are acceptable. 8)

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Asteriktos said:

I love meat.  All sorts of meat.  In just about any form.  Really, I'm an Acts 10.9-16 man. 

But the fish taco is, hands down, the absolute best taco ever.  No one can argue that without incurring the wrath of the blessed apostles Peter and Paul.  Yes, I'm that serious.   

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
What does the Gospel say? In the feeding of the thousands, did the Lord hand out fish and bread, or fish and taco shells? Nonetheless, even though I hate fish, for the most part, I will try to acquire one of the fishy tacos. "orange roughy tacos" brings up some hits, perhaps there is hope...

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Asteriktos said:
What does the Gospel say? In the feeding of the thousands, did the Lord hand out fish and bread, or fish and taco shells? Nonetheless, even though I hate fish, for the most part, I will try to acquire one of the fishy tacos. "orange roughy tacos" brings up some hits, perhaps there is hope...
Anytime I hear or see the words "orange roughy", I'm reminded of the OCA.  The first time I ever heard of that type of fish was on the menu for the banquet at one of the All-American Councils "back in the good old days".  

A fish taco is much closer to what the Lord provided at the feedings of the nine thousand than a hard shell hamburger meat taco with Ortega mild sauce.  Mild.  What a wuss.  I sneer derisively at you.  Don't even think of dousing good fish with that garbage.  

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Pffh. I look askance in your general direction. Sometimes I skip the taco and just eat the Ortega sauce on slices of cheese. It is delicious. Nonetheless, woe is me the longsuffering one, I will hold back this wonderful sauce from my first fish taco, if it pleases thee. I bet if I went to the house of Achronos he'd have swordfish tacos or something ritzy like that.

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
I wonder what they are really like.  I guess it's Wednesday.  Good day to try the fish taco.
Does Ukrainian fasting rules allow fish on most Wednesdays and Fridays?

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Alveus Lacuna said:
LizaSymonenko said:
LOL! 

Yes, yes it is.

This, I believe, stems from the fact that many Ukrainians (Slavs), mostly peasants, had no access to the sea nor shellfish, which is permitted.  Therefore, out of necessity of what was at hand, they began to replace "shellfish" with fish.

Shelfish was something they only heard of but, had never seen, nor tasted....and if they actually wished to buy some, well, there would go their month's wages.  While for the Greeks, shellfish was easily acquired and cheap.

Therefore, for Ukrainians substitute shellfish with fish. 

However, it's all in moderation and with what mentality you consume the food.  You can overeat on lobster and shrimp and also spoil the fast....even when eating strictly lenten fare.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
LizaSymonenko said:
Alveus Lacuna said:
LizaSymonenko said:
LOL! 

Yes, yes it is.

This, I believe, stems from the fact that many Ukrainians (Slavs), mostly peasants, had no access to the sea nor shellfish, which is permitted.  Therefore, out of necessity of what was at hand, they began to replace "shellfish" with fish.

Shelfish was something they only heard of but, had never seen, nor tasted....and if they actually wished to buy some, well, there would go their month's wages.  While for the Greeks, shellfish was easily acquired and cheap.

However, it's all in moderation and with what mentality you consume the food.  You can overeat on lobster and shrimp and also spoil the fast....even when eating strictly lenten fare.
I remember back about forty years ago, my dad and several other ACROD clergy were meeting with Archbishop Iakovas over something, it was Advent and they expected a simple Lenten lunch..guess what...shellfish for all..not enhanced but good stuff... then they got the explanation Lisa gave from the Greeks.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
LizaSymonenko said:
Alveus Lacuna said:
LizaSymonenko said:
LOL! 

Yes, yes it is.

I remember back about forty years ago, my dad and several other ACROD clergy were meeting with Archbishop Iakovas over something, it was Advent and they expected a simple Lenten lunch..guess what...shellfish for all..not enhanced but good stuff... then they got the explanation Lisa gave from the Greeks.
The following is presented to you in an attempt to keep this thread on topic--sort of  ;D.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
You try hibernating with a whole fish wiggling around in your stomach!

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Should have figured I'd have to bear with fishy jokes in this thread. I'd say they were crappie, but mine are no better. This is all a red herring anyway--we were talking about tacos!

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Should have figured I'd have to bear with fishy jokes in this thread. I'd say they were crappie, but mine are no better. This is all a red herring anyway--we were talking about tacos!
Yes...if you could wrap all that in a tortilla, we'd be on topic again.

Reaction score
Website
newseminaryproject.org
Word to the wise: avoid GMO corn in the tortillas. Buy organic or gmo free tortillas.
LA Tortilla Factories Sonoma yellow corn type are excellent. I cant recommend specific brand otherwise, but many options exist if you can access them.

Aram

High Elder
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
proper tacos: tortilla plus steak plus onions plus cilantro.
This is the correct answer. Though my go-to is either lengua (beef tongue) or pork. Ground beef is not a taco meat.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
OK, this is a real fish taco:

Soft corn tortillas
Tilapia or fish of choice (no catfish please)
Cilantro
Sliced avocado
Lightly shredded cheese
Lettuce (optional)
Salsa Verde
Liberally squeezed lime juice

:)

Selam

Reaction score
Website
newseminaryproject.org
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:

Soft corn tortillas
Cilantro
Sliced avocado
Lightly shredded cheese
Lettuce (optional)
Salsa Verde

Selam
Indeed it is!

The tang of the tomatillos are excellent. I also like to add mint or nopalitos to the green sauce.

Some of the combinations of herbs and spices you actually encounter in Mexico and Guatemala more closely resemble cuisine of the Indian subconinent or Saudi Arabia (dare I say Ethiopia to you!) than the average "Tex-mex" commercial restaurant association gimmicks one encounters in gringo regions of the USA.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:

Soft corn tortillas
Cilantro
Sliced avocado
Lightly shredded cheese
Lettuce (optional)
Salsa Verde

Selam
Why did you have to do that to me?  WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??  Now I'm hungry, I'm beset with borborygmi, my salivary glands are over-working, and I can think of nothing but those yummy fish tacos!!  Get thee behind me....! ;D ;D

(And, frankly, I don't give a damn about GMO or non-GMO tortillas, thank you very much! :police:)

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:

Soft corn tortillas
Cilantro
Sliced avocado
Lightly shredded cheese
Lettuce (optional)
Salsa Verde

Selam
No catfish on tacos or no catfish in general?

If not on tacos, I don't know so I will trust your judgement.
If no catfish in general, get thee behind me!

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
J Michael said:
Pray to God that Taco Hell doesn't come up with something fishy.
Taco Smell used to have shrimp tacos.  They weren't half bad.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I believe the authentic Aztec way of making tacos was with dog meat.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tacos are disgusting.

And so is everything that mexicans have created, or is that tex mex?

Reaction score
Website
newseminaryproject.org
J Michael said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:

Soft corn tortillas
Cilantro
Sliced avocado
Lightly shredded cheese
Lettuce (optional)
Salsa Verde

Selam
Why did you have to do that to me?  WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??  Now I'm hungry, I'm beset with borborygmi, my salivary glands are over-working, and I can think of nothing but those yummy fish tacos!!  Get thee behind me....! ;D ;D

(And, frankly, I don't give a damn about GMO or non-GMO tortillas, thank you very much! :police:)
Study says genetically modified corn causes tumors, but other scientists skeptical about research
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57517377-10391704/study-says-genetically-modified-corn-causes-tumors-but-other-scientists-skeptical-about-research/
Ruskin pointed out that 50 countries around the world already require labeling.

"These findings underscore the importance of giving California families the right to know whether our food has been genetically engineered in a laboratory," he added.

"I think these are very important findings," added Dr. Michael Antoniou, a molecular biologist at Kings College, London who acted as an adviser to Seralini's team, said to the BBC.

"At the very least, what this study highlights is: firstly, the need to test all GM crops in two-year, lifelong studies; and, secondly, when looking at testing the toxicity of herbicides/pesticides, we need to test the full agricultural formulation and not just the active ingredient," he added.

Reaction score
Website
newseminaryproject.org
Christopher McAvoy said:
J Michael said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:

Soft corn tortillas
Cilantro
Sliced avocado
Lightly shredded cheese
Lettuce (optional)
Salsa Verde

Selam

Study says genetically modified corn causes tumors, but other scientists skeptical about research
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57517377-10391704/study-says-genetically-modified-corn-causes-tumors-but-other-scientists-skeptical-about-research/
Ruskin pointed out that 50 countries around the world already require labeling.

"These findings underscore the importance of giving California families the right to know whether our food has been genetically engineered in a laboratory," he added.

"I think these are very important findings," added Dr. Michael Antoniou, a molecular biologist at Kings College, London who acted as an adviser to Seralini's team, said to the BBC.

"At the very least, what this study highlights is: firstly, the need to test all GM crops in two-year, lifelong studies; and, secondly, when looking at testing the toxicity of herbicides/pesticides, we need to test the full agricultural formulation and not just the active ingredient," he added.
Italy Becomes the 9th EU Nation To Ban Monsanto’s GMO Corn
http://gmoinside.org/italy-becomes-the-9th-eu-nation-to-ban-monsantos-gmo-corn/

Yes, I know people in the USA don't much care what is in there food, which partly contributes to it having the highest obesity rate in the world. As for myself, I think I'll trust that Italy and 9 other European countries know what the proper dietary regulations and food safety/food labelling are.