• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Foot washing in orthodoxy?

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Wondering if the practise of "foot washing" is done in orthodoxy?

Reaction score
According to the Rites of the Coptic Orthodox Church, The Church commences a service known as the “Lakan” or “The Service of The Washing of The Feet” on the Great Thursday of The Holy Pascha (i.e. Passion Week) proceeding the Ninth Hour Prayers.

+Irini nem makarismos

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
EkhristosAnesti said:
According to the Rites of the Coptic Orthodox Church, The Church commences a service known as the “Lakan” or “The Service of The Washing of The Feet” on the Great Thursday of The Holy Pascha (i.e. Passion Week) proceeding the Ninth Hour Prayers.

+Irini nem makarismos

Thank you.

Is this practice held common amongst all of the orthodox churches or just the Coptic Church?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
It was my understanding that in Orthodoxy the practice was done among people more tempted by power, such as monastic leaders and bishops. I originally was in a Protestant Church that took the "ordinance" of foot washing very seriously, and I found it a very humbling experience, so I do sometimes wish it was done more among Orthodox Christians.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Does this still go on today in the Church of Jerusalem?

"Ceremony of washing the Saint's feet by the Greek Patriarchs, Jerusalem, Palestine."

ialmisry

Strategos
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
It is still done in Jerusalem: I remember National Geographic (IIRC) having pictures of it a few years back.

I've been to the ceremony several times at the Greek Church in Chicago.

Andrew21091

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Its done in a lot of Russian churches on Holy Thursday.

Bishop Peter of Cleveland washing feet on Holy Thursday at Holy Virgin Protection Cathedral in Chicago:

Salpy

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Isn't it done in all Orthodox Churches on Holy Thursday?  The Armenian Church does it, and I've been to one at a Syriac Orthodox Church also.  I just thought everyone did it.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
In Cathedrals, I suppose.

Salpy

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
So it's not always done in all EO churches on Holy Thursday?

Salpy

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Wow!  In the Armenian Church it's done everywhere, from the humblest parish in the diaspora, to Holy Etchmiadzin.  The priest or bishop or Catholicos will wash the right feet of 12 people.  After the person's foot is washed, butter is put on it.  The leftover butter is distributed to the faithful after the ceremony.

I just thought everyone did this. 

My priest likes to do something extra that night.  :)  After washing the feet of twelve deacons or altar boys up on the bema, he goes down to the area down in front of the bema and he washes the feet of children.  It gets crazy with what seems like hundreds of kids being brought in by their parents  so their feet can be washed and smeared with butter.  It's a sort of special blessing for a kid to have this done.

Salpy

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Here's a video of the Catholicos washing the feet of six clergy and six soldiers:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArmenianChurch#p/u/52/CSf7tpaJktM

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
bogdan said:
Andrew21091 said:
Salpy said:
So it's not always done in all EO churches on Holy Thursday?
No, its never been done in Antiochian churches and I don't think the Greeks do it either.
Apparently not quite never (though I have no idea from personal experience):
I have seen it. However, I do not see it in the Antiochian book "The Services of Great and Holy Week and Pascha".