• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Football (the real kind)

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Anyone else watch football (soccer in Murica) on a regular basis?

I've tried to but the only regular broadcast we get is Sporting KC who usually do very well.

I'm also a fan of Olympiakos Piraeus, Olympiakos Volou and AEK. Though in the US I can't get their games.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
J Michael said:
Gee, and I thought this thread was going to be about real football, not fantasy football.  Oh well....

No.  I don't watch soccer.  Boring, imho.  That's all folks..... ;D
Americans and Finns must be the only people in the whole World who don't seem to enjoy football.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Sports generally bore me. I do prefer soccer over American football for the simple fact that the action is much more fast-paced and dynamic- the ball can be shooting from one end of the field to another and back again. In American football they are constantly stopping, and the game moves so slowly that people get excited when the ball moves 10 feet in one direction or the other. That's how boring American football is. I don't understand how such a profoundly dull activity captures the attention of the generally short-attention-span American public.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
That's one way of putting it. Indeed, they do a lot of moving in soccer, with the only stops being when players practice their acting skills. Of course it is very rare that anyone actually scores, so all that movement is largely pointless. In fact, you can watch an entire game with no score, no pay off, and no one even wins. But hey, if watching people run up and down a field, knowing that there might not even be a winner, is your thing, have at it.  8)

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I actually cheered during the part of the last Batman movie where the football stadium gets turned into a crater.

Santagranddad

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I live between two football stadia, Aston Villa and Birmingham City. The nearest I get to a match is passing by one or other of them. Guys dressed up in armour charging back and forth doesn't appeal at all. Hurling and Shinty I like, fast and dangerous with no armour. Probably a cultural thing.

Cricket is nice on a warm summers day, with the pat of leather on willow and the gentle applause. Sounds right off to sleep all the time.

A good game of tennis beats all of them, except for the grunting! Think the ducking stool should be bought back for that. It'd soon learn em, like!  ;)

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I believe NBC is broadcasting some English Premium League games this fall. On cable, one can also can get access to many soccer games. I myself like to watch Spanish La Liga and American National Women's team matches, both for the same reason intelligent play making and team work.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I love both American football and soccer. This is a good time of year because both are on TV. :)

AveChriste11

High Elder
Reaction score
I can't get into American Football, even though I am an American and male.  Ugh. 

Is there anything that I can start watching or looking up, to see if I can understand soccer better?  I was never exposed to soccer games, as almost no one in my family is into that sport.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
More of a baseball man myself because I like how the games last longer and how the pace of the game can rapidly change if someone hits a home-run, whereas, I feel like American football is rigged.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Andrew Crook said:
Is there anything that I can start watching or looking up, to see if I can understand soccer better? 
Go to some bar with lots of drunken European immigrants.