• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

For 40 years This Russain Family Was Cutt Off From Human Contact Unaware of WWII / Old Believer Family lived Seculded for 40 years

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Amazing story:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/For-40-Years-This-Russian-Family-Was-Cut-Off-From-Human-Contact-Unaware-of-World-War-II-188843001.html

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Beautiful. I remember having read probably this same story, maybe in the nineties in an old number of a  magazine I found in the attic ("Stiinta si Tehnica" if I'm not mistaken) dating to the time right after the discovery was made. Of course the story had a morale in that magazine, but still.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
Wow!  Can you imagine the difficulties they faced and overcame?  Nursing that ONE stalk of rye?  Amazing.

pmpn8rGPT

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
The title alone was amazing
I'm in a rush so I could only read the first few paragraphs, definitely something to put on my reading list.

choy

Archon
Reaction score
Amazing story, truly.  I just couldn't imagine if I were in the same situation.

anonymonachos

Reaction score
i have included a link to a segment of the wonderful film " mysteries of altai ".  similar story,  and may in fact, be the same one. priestless old believer family living in the altai mountains. the entire film used to be available on youtube but it might have been removed.  the title is in russian,  so if you know how to convert your keyboard,  you might try looking for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJjes66wfic

Irish Melkite

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.byzcath.org
pmpn8rGPT said:
The title alone was amazing
I'm in a rush so I could only read the first few paragraphs, definitely something to put on my reading list.
If you want to read in more detail, see Lost in the Taiga. It's a very interesting recounting of the life lived by the Lykovs. Only Agafia survives. She's some 60+ years old and has made some concessions to survive in her life alone.

A couple of very recent news articles regarding her - Old Believers' metropolitan sent a parcel to the taiga hermit and Religious hermit living in Siberian taiga gets medal

May God keep safe the Lord's handmaiden, Agafia.

Many years,

Neil  

Adela

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
An Old Believer family hid out in Siberia to escape the Communist purges of the 30's ...

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/For-40-Years-This-Russian-Family-Was-Cut-Off-From-Human-Contact-Unaware-of-World-War-II-188843001.html#.UQd4PSVEkLV.twitter

Adela

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Yes, but this is a very interesting article in Smithsonian History.  This family escaped after a family member was killed by Communists and hid out and survived in Siberia. They kept their faith and trust in God, though they suffered greatly.  It is an amazing story.  Amazing pictures, too.  Perhaps it can be moved to a different area but I thought others might enjoy learning about this.

"Famine was an ever-present danger in these circumstances, and in 1961 it snowed in June. The hard frost killed everything growing in their garden, and by spring the family had been reduced to eating shoes and bark. Akulina chose to see her children fed, and that year she died of starvation. The rest of the family were saved by what they regarded as a miracle: a single grain of rye sprouted in their pea patch. The Lykovs put up a fence around the shoot and guarded it zealously night and day to keep off mice and squirrels. At harvest time, the solitary spike yielded 18 grains, and from this they painstakingly rebuilt their rye crop."

"His death shook the geologists, who tried desperately to save him. They offered to call in a helicopter and have him evacuated to a hospital. But Dmitry, in extremis, would abandon neither his family nor the religion he had practiced all his life. "We are not allowed that," he whispered just before he died. "A man lives for howsoever God grants."

CoptoGeek

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
World War II was over 60 years ago.
They were "found" by Soviet scientists in the 80s.

I just came across this fascinating article today & came her to post it when until I found Marc1152 had already done so. Its an amazing story.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
This forest [Siberia]  is the last and greatest of Earth's wildernesses
Russian bias. My Latin American brethren in South America would match your Siberia, and raise you an Amazon rain forest.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
A good documentary about meeting Agafia:  https://youtu.be/BFK3DJ7Kn6s

In 1978, in the remote Russian Republic of Khakassia, Siberia, a group of geologists discovered a family of Old Believers, the Lykovs. They had fled to the wilderness to avoid religious persecution first from the Orthodox Church and then from the Soviets. Now RTD’s film crew goes deep into the taiga to meet the only remaining member of the family, Agafia. She is almost 70 years old and is in desperate need of a helper. The filmmakers encourage her to write a letter to Old Believers everywhere in an attempt to find one. This letter, written in Old Slavonic language, is available on RTD’s site: http://rtd.rt.com/info/agafias-letter/

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Hey, the Smithsonian thing links to John Alden's blog!

It breaks my heart that that Indiegogo has not raised any money. I wish I wasn't broke.

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
Here in Brazil there are 3 old believer community if I'm not mistaken.