• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

for my dad

Adela

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
My father, Mel, is in intensive care with many health problem related to severe alcoholism.  heart, kidney, liver..... He also has the worse case of gout the doctors have ever seen.  He was going through alcohol withdrawal, and was unresponsive, when his heart stopped, so they did CPR and now he's in Intensive care, intubated, with a collapsed lung on one side and pneumonia in the other.  We had a Roman Catholic priest (He was raised Roman Catholic) give him last rites, and that seemed to scare him enough to try to revive.  Also playing some Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings managed to get him to nod when asked if he liked the music.  My father, I pray, will live long enough to accept some love from his family and God, because he has spent most of his life drinking away his  demons that prevented him from allowing himself to be loved.

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of the South (OCA)
Lord have mercy.

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lord, have mercy!

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
May the Lord grant Mel, healing of body and spirit!

Lord, have mercy!

marigold

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Atlanta
Lord, have mercy on Adela's father, Mel.

Rhinosaur

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction
OCA
Lord have mercy.

Maximum Bob

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Lord, have mercy.

Adela

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for your prayers.  My father has passed and I feel your prayers were answered.  It was very difficult, but there were some beautiful moments.

Please, if you can, please pray for the repose of the soul of my father, and for healing of my family, especially for reconciliation between my brother and I.

Through some procedural errors at the hospital, my father was originally resuscitated at the hospital when his heart stopped beating, even though his wishes were not to be resuscitated.  So, we had to go through almost 2 weeks of seeing him struggle and suffer in the ICU before passing in the hospital's hospice unit.  He was first on a vent, but then could not easily be weaned off the vent.  Then, because he would not want to live in a nursing home on a vent, it was taken out, after my mother and I discussed it, to see if he could clear the fluids from his lungs himself.  The vent could not be replaced since it would have pushed more fluids into his lungs. So, this was his only chance of living. 

His body was beat up and failing, and he could barely talk and we had to try hard to read his lips.    When he asked my brother for the truth and my brother told him that it wasn't looking good, but there was a small chance, my father approached this bravely. After saying Ay Yai Yai, he proceeded to tough it out.  He would turn and ask both my brother and me if we were ok. When I said, yes, I was great, he said, as much as he could, emphatically, "GOOD".  He was also concerned if my Mother would be ok.  He was the one dying, yet he wanted to know if we were ok.  Before moving to Hospice, I sat and started praying, asking God to spare my father pain, to know I forgave him, that I loved him. When I was praying, he turned and looked at me and gave me a peaceful smile. I'm hopeful he felt the prayers.  Throughout the ICU and Hospice, my mother and I were nursing him and attending to his every need.  In Hospice, we didn't know it would go so quickly, so my mother had left the room.    My father, after being in pain, and struggling to keep breathing, he said his final words to me, which were, "I can't make it". I immediately said, I'm getting Mom, and got my mother into the room. She flew to him and was crying, saying I wish you could make it.  My mom was holding my father, looking deep into his eyes, with all the love written on her face. MY father gazed at my mother with the most intense look, then drifted off.  Then he quickly declined to death and my mother held in in the very, very last moments of his life.

I hope and pray my father is in heaven enjoying being surrounded by the complete Love of God.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Memory eternal. Lord have mercy

byhisgrace

OC.Net Guru
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOARCH
Memory eternal. May God bring him to His kingdom.

marigold

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Atlanta
Memory eternal.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Lord, have mercy.

Thank God you were able to spend his final moments together as a family.