• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Fowler's "Stages of Faith"

trevor72694

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My therapist gave me this amazing book - Stages of Faith by an author called Fowler.

His book was made into a chart here - http://www.psychologycharts.com/james-fowler-stages-of-faith.html

Pretty early in the chart we can see the "convertitis" we all know and despise. 

http://www.psychologycharts.com/james-fowler-stages-of-faith.html

I'm probably around #4 at this point.  The chart is correct - it's rough.

Thought you all would find this interesting!

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Quite interesting. I know I have been through stages 1-4, but I don't think I am at stage 5. Orthodoxy is kind of the definition of a theological box, lol. I don't know where I am.

trevor72694

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Quite interesting. I know I have been through stages 1-4, but I don't think I am at stage 5. Orthodoxy is kind of the definition of a theological box, lol. I don't know where I am.
That's for sure.  Currently, I'm asking myself "is this all for real, or is it just made up?" 

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Tikhon.of.Colorado said:
TheTrisagion said:
That's for sure.  Currently, I'm asking myself "is this all for real, or is it just made up?"
By "this" do you mean Orthodoxy or life in general?

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
We had to work through this in my college Values Studies class. For a while it became a joke amongst my friends to say something like, "Oh, he wouldn't understand, he's a three."

At the end of the class people were supposed to write an essay about what stage they were and why. We had several who classified themselves as stage six at age 19.

Anyway, I think Fowler's stages are interesting but not authoritative.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Agabus said:
We had to work through this in my college Values Studies class. For a while it became a joke amongst my friends to say something like, "Oh, he wouldn't understand, he's a three."

At the end of the class people were supposed to write an essay about what stage they were and why. We had several who classified themselves as stage six at age 19.

Anyway, I think Fowler's stages are interesting but not authoritative.
LOL! At least they don't need to worry about low self esteem.  :p

trevor72694

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Tikhon.of.Colorado said:
TheTrisagion said:
By "this" do you mean Orthodoxy or life in general?

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever been in any of those stages.

Tikhon.of.Colorado said:
Pretty early in the chart we can see the "convertitis" we all know and despise. 
Despise is too big a word. Those afflicted with convertitis can be rather amusing to watch.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I think the categories are rather vague and probably are written with a new agey intent. I suspect the author would consider most of us to be stuck in stage 2 or 3.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Tikhon.of.Colorado said:
TheTrisagion said:
It is all made up. You connect the dots where you please; it was his job/observation to come up with that stuff and connect the dots how he saw fit. Don't sweat it.
Although I did read M. Scott Peck, People of the Lie years ago and the residue of that still helps.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
LenInSebastopol said:
Tikhon.of.Colorado said:
TheTrisagion said:
It is all made up. You connect the dots where you please; it was his job/observation to come up with that stuff and connect the dots how he saw fit. Don't sweat it.
Although I did read M. Scott Peck, People of the Lie years ago and the residue of that still helps.
LOL, Peck was the other required reading in the Values Studies class.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
The chart may have some basic truth in there, but I don't think it should be used as a framework or a measuring stick.  I think I did Peck's out of order.  ;D  Really, it may just be me, but there's a lot of bouncing around that I do on an hourly basis.  But I just don't see people as linear beings, and this chart makes the assumption that we grow in a linear fashion.  I could be wrong, though.  /shrug

vorgos

High Elder
Reaction score
In a multicultural/multi-faith enviroment like the United States where people are exposed to different views I don't think it is a bad list.

In fact some stages touch upon our own, Orthodox Spiritual Stages.
From http://stgeorgegoc.org/pastors-corner/fr-ricks-sermons/spiritual-stages-by-kyriacos-markides

1 Slaves of God - A childish belief in a God because of fear.
2 Employees of God - We believe in God because we are promised something.
3 Lovers of God - We love Him whether we are healed or not. He is our Father.

Now, being at this perfected third stage does not cancel out the previous stages but we wisely use them at appropriate times when we have spiritual lapses and temporary regressions. It?s like applying the right medicine at the right time. There are times when you marshal the fear of hell for your own spiritual good and there are other times when you choose the image of God as an employer that rewards you for hard work

Dracula

Reaction score
Concerning #5. I remember having this epiphany when I was high that 'everything is a paradox' ... Darn that was scary! I'm now on #7. #1-6 are a hoax!