• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Fr. Georges Massouh: Holy War Isn't Holy

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
Have we forgotten we're in the public forum?  I want to hear no more on politics.  You are warned.

Mina

hayabusa

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
MP, but my hart belongs
Jurisdiction
to Eparchy of Raska-Prizren in Exile
minasoliman said:
Well, I apologize for hurting your feelings for a misperception of my post.  I only wanted a conversation, not a clash and one-upping.
Well, I apologize for hurting your feelings for a misperception of my post. It wasn't intended neither as a clash, nor one-upping.

It stated simple facts.

We have a shy MP statement about what we all already known.

We have and attempt to oppose shy MP statement (about what we knew even without it) in a blog by a priest of supposedly Arab origin, and Fr Guryus' and your support of it.

It is not what we believe, plain and simple.

hayabusa

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
MP, but my hart belongs
Jurisdiction
Minnesotan said:
You know what Hayabusa? The only reason why I'm even still considering the EO as an option at all is because I know that not all of the EO think the same way you do.

If I knew for a fact that all EO agree with you, and that all OO agree with Mina, then I'd probably be an OO catechumen already. Either that, or at least I'd be a lot less conflicted about where I want to eventually end up.
I don't intend to bend my beliefs to meet your needs.

FYI, there is about 1% of total Orthodox population in the World living in North America, in the case you want to determine what the Orthodox believe.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
hayabusa said:
minasoliman said:
Well, I apologize for hurting your feelings for a misperception of my post.  I only wanted a conversation, not a clash and one-upping.
Well, I apologize for hurting your feelings for a misperception of my post. It wasn't intended neither as a clash, nor one-upping.

It stated simple facts.

We have a shy MP statement about what we all already known.

We have and attempt to oppose shy MP statement (about what we knew even without it) in a blog by a priest of supposedly Arab origin, and Fr Guryus' and your support of it.

It is not what we believe, plain and simple.
and yet Fr. Giryus and Fr. George both are of the same church as you are.  I explained my support in detail.  I didn't just dismiss you outright or belittle your beliefs.  I would appreciate a similar more informed response, or at least a respect of disagreement as you would treat a priest befitting of the good professionalism you possess.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
hayabusa said:
Father,

with all due respect to your priesthood...
hayabusa said:
Let us just note that we differ on this, on my side, respectfully to your priesthood.
Look at you with your good manners.  What a cutie!

hayabusa

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
MP, but my hart belongs
Jurisdiction
minasoliman said:
and yet Fr. Giryus and Fr. George both are of the same church as you are.  I explained my support in detail.  I didn't just dismiss you outright or belittle your beliefs.  I would appreciate a similar more informed response, or at least a respect of disagreement as you would treat a priest befitting of the good professionalism you possess.
I dismissed their stance, too, as contradictory not only to an official statement of MP, than contradictory to what Orthodox Christians that I know believe.

I didn't want to belittle you.. It is just something Zionists/Westerenrs would like us, Orthodox Christians, to believe now. I therefore found it appropriate to point that it is inappropriate for you to refer to us as "we".

Nothing personal Mina.

Onesimus

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOA
Is the MP infallible?

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
hayabusa said:
FatherGiryus said:
Prophesies are not meant to predict the future, but to help us understand the past once we have been through it.
While what you said may be true regarding prophecies, but not regarding the Apocalypsis of St. John, I will note that it doesn't address my complaints about the article.

Let us just note that we differ on this, on my side, respectfully to your priesthood.
Respect noted.

Now, perhaps my brevity was a problem here, so I'll state this more clearly: the Orthodox Church does not have a single, once-and-for-all, thorough, complete, and 'perfect' interpretation of the entire Book of Revelation of St. John.  No Synod has approved one, nor have our bishops, who bear the sacred responsibility of teaching the True Faith, made such an effort.

That should tell you something.

In fact, historically speaking, the Orthodox Church not only resisted placing the Book in the canon, but it is not read liturgically at all.  While you may find it in iconography on Mt. Athos, its scenes are always outside the church proper (I have some photos of Revelation frescoes that were in porch areas I believe).

So, placing too much emphasis or importance on the Book, particularly in the way you are doing so, goes 'against the grain' of the rest of the Church.  Of course, you are free to have your opinions, since these do not distort the dogmatic truths of the Church, but you would do well to heed Fr. Georges, who teaches at the Balamand at the direction of the Patriarch himself.

hayabusa

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
MP, but my hart belongs
Jurisdiction
FatherGiryus said:
Now, perhaps my brevity was a problem here,
No, it is not what the problem was.

The problem was that you misunderstood my proper lay politeness in responding to you as a priest.

FatherGiryus said:
so I'll state this more clearly: the Orthodox Church does not have a single, once-and-for-all, thorough, complete, and 'perfect' interpretation of the entire Book of Revelation of St. John.  No Synod has approved one, nor have our bishops, who bear the sacred responsibility of teaching the True Faith, made such an effort.

That should tell you something.
Let me state this more clearly: I don't need you to tell me this.

I also wouldn't need a bishop, or a Synoc, or a Council, to make an interpretation of the Revelation. If there had been a need for it, it would have been done ages ago.

I particularly don't need an American bishop, priest, or a Synod, to teach me his NATO interpretation of Orthodoxy.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Father, when's the NATO catechism coming out? Hopefully soon, before the apocalypse starts.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
hayabusa said:
The problem was that you misunderstood my proper lay politeness in responding to you as a priest.

I particularly don't need an American bishop, priest, or a Synod, to teach me his NATO interpretation of Orthodoxy.
I knew it was too good to be true.

Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
NATO catchechism? am i the only one lost by that statement  ???

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
I try not to ask so that I do not lead a poster into temptation.  :p (especially when I feel the answer might not be worth it)

Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
minasoliman said:
I try not to ask so that I do not lead a poster into temptation.  :p (especially when I feel the answer might not be worth it)
good advice  :)