• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Fr Joachim Parr not who he says he is, has spent years lying about his past

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Firstly I just want to say I am not one to judge. The action of this priest are in the hands of his bishop and God. I am simply posting this information so others can be made aware. I have met this man personally a few times and he seems like a generally nice man but the sad truth is he has been lying about his entire life, ecclesiastical credentials and breaking the rite of confession by exposing private information spoken to him in confidence.  May God forgive him (and all of us) of his actions and may he learn from all this and please try to remember, we are all sinners. This isn't new news in the sense that it happened this month but it is recent and not everyone knows about it.

As of Sept of 2016 Fr Joachim Parr has been suspended from the priesthood for three years by the guidance of his bishop. He is still an abbot and will remain a priest as seen by the judgement of the bishop. (source: http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/97426.htm).

For those who might be skeptical, his entire Wikipedia page full of false information has been removed and his monasteries website has been taken down.

A short 20min video is linked here ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fum2-w7QlEY ) with information explaining the true history of Fr Joachim Parr and not that of the numerous stories he has fed to people. He is not a elder or a greatschema monk as he has said, his parents were not diplomats, he wasn't born in England, he didn't live on Mt Athos and he was never a Benedictine monk since he was 18(or at all), he never went to Rome to become a priest and his entrance into Orthodox was never for-told by St John the Wonderworker. He has been kicked out by both the OCA and ROCOR. Having met him in person I was very shocked to learn the truth. I pray that he repents and can grow in Christ so he can help others instead of breaking them apart.

God forgive us.

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lord, have mercy!

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Must be the storyline found in books and literature.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Peacemaker said:
... his entrance into Orthodox was never for-told by St John the Wonderworker ...
Just felt like this claim should be highlighted.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Svartzorn said:
Not of your business, not of mine.
This kind of thread--this kind of threat--is one of the reasons I rail against the blind and generic "ask your priest" advice people sometimes give. This whole "he's a priest/monk/whatever, he must be trustworthy to divulge your deepest darkest problems to!" assumption.

CarolS

Elder
Reaction score
The truth is, people who go looking for a guru, generally find one.  This can entrap even the best intentioned clergyman to "think more highly than we should". May the Lord have mercy on him and on us.

Peacemaker

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Svartzorn said:
This kind of thread--this kind of threat--is one of the reasons I rail against the blind and generic "ask your priest" advice people sometimes give. This whole "he's a priest/monk/whatever, he must be trustworthy to divulge your deepest darkest problems to!" assumption.
I've always read and been told that lay-person(s) need to have a certain level of discernment and the suggestions of our priests and spiritual fathers are just that, suggestions - as you have free will to follow it or not. However this isn't an excuse to go "priest shopping" looking for a priest that will agree with your desires and opinions, thus helping you feel justified. Monastics are the only ones that follow 100% obedience as the monastic life is considered a living martyrdom and giving up of ones free will, BUT only if the direction of the abbot is not breaking the rules of holy scripture. As for this particular priest/abbot, things will work themselves out and God will correct what needs to be corrected. I think it is and opportunity for faith and trust in Christ. May God forgive this priest, may he learn from his mistakes and grow to correct them and may God forgive us (and myself above all) for any judgement we may have against Fr Joachim as he is still a member of the true faith and a priest (even though currently not active) of the body of Christ.

servulus

Reaction score
The negligence of bishops in cases like this is appalling.

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
None of us is entirely good or entirely evil. I've found some of Fr. Joachim's video talks quite helpful. And since he works with good translators, listening to them is at the very least a good way to improve one's English or Russian skills.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Peacemaker said:
Asteriktos said:
Svartzorn said:
I've always read and been told that lay-person(s) need to have a certain level of discernment and the suggestions of our priests and spiritual fathers are just that, suggestions - as you have free will to follow it or not. However this isn't an excuse to go "priest shopping" looking for a priest that will agree with your desires and opinions, thus helping you feel justified.
That doesn't seem to have anything to do with what Asteriktos said.

It's a fact that many priests may be excellent sacrament dispensers but are not particularly wiser than anyone else on marriage, family life, or even finer points of spirituality. And the attitude expressed in some places that we should treat our parish priests like gurus is fanciful and harmful.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Peacemaker said:
Asteriktos said:
Svartzorn said:
I've always read and been told that lay-person(s) need to have a certain level of discernment and the suggestions of our priests and spiritual fathers are just that, suggestions - as you have free will to follow it or not. However this isn't an excuse to go "priest shopping" looking for a priest that will agree with your desires and opinions, thus helping you feel justified.
That doesn't seem to have anything to do with what Asteriktos said.

It's a fact that many priests may be excellent sacrament dispensers but are not particularly wiser than anyone else on marriage, family life, or even finer points of spirituality. And the attitude expressed in some places that we should treat our parish priests like gurus is fanciful and harmful.
Right, especially considering how many priests flame out after only a few years of ministry.