Fr Josiah Trenham in Tbilisi: Homofascists not Welcome

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
The inimitable Fr Josiah is bravely standing up to the Homofascists and their bathroom intrusions at the World Council of Families in Tbilisi: http://frjohnpeck.com/homofascists-not-welcome/

Reaction score
I don't get the problem, I may not agree with the tone, however doesn't  the Orthodox Church oppose the Sin of homosexuality?

Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Does "oppose the sin" translate to "open season" in some languages then?
Who calling for open season? Of course violence would be wrong

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
I am pointing out that "the Orthodox Church opposes this sin" can't serve as a justification for anything one wants to say or do in regard to homosexuals. Because, for one thing, that's not a logical argument.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Svartzorn said:
Another gay thread? Come on, people.
Homosexuality does seem to have a strong fascination for heterosexual men, and not just on this forum. On the other hand, you and I should admit it's a common topic in news sources, which treat it as politically relevant.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the relevant issue is not necessarily the speech, but where he is addressing his speech, which in the nation of Georgia, known to be, sadly, violent against gay people.  I think that is the problem.  How are we to preach against homosexuality in a Christian manner while seemingly going to a nation that endorses violent behavior against them?  Is that really the bulwark of "protecting the faith"?

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
I think the relevant issue is not necessarily the speech, but where he is addressing his speech, which in the nation of Georgia, known to be, sadly, violent against gay people.  I think that is the problem.  How are we to preach against homosexuality in a Christian manner while seemingly going to a nation that endorses violent behavior against them?  Is that really the bulwark of "protecting the faith"?

This

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I can't get over how stupid raging about bathrooms is. That said, I love Fr. Josiah and I think in many ways he is a deeply holy and wise man, but every so often I have to just ignore something he says. For example, one time he taught that single mothers should give up their own children for adoption to Orthodox couples, as it's cruel and unnatural to deny them both a mother and a father. It was a cringe-inducing yikes moment for me.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
I think in many ways he is a deeply holy and wise man ...
I'm curious what the basis of your feeling might be. The things he writes? The things he has suffered? Do you know him personally?

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
I'm curious what the basis of your feeling might be. The things he writes? The things he has suffered? Do you know him personally?
A burning in the bosom. I just know it's so.

Seriously though, his lived family ethic, his deep knowledge of Scripture and the Fathers, and what he generally conveys in his homilies. For all I know the guy could be a monster in real life, but I love him from a distance. He's the reason I have three kids and not one or two; his strong stance against birth control.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
Porter ODoran said:
A burning in the bosom. I just know it's so.

Seriously though, his lived family ethic, his deep knowledge of Scripture and the Fathers, and what he generally conveys in his homilies. For all I know the guy could be a monster in real life, but I love him from a distance. He's the reason I have three kids and not one or two; his strong stance against birth control.
Thank you for answering. If all I had to go on is this article, the things you say he's said against mothers, and the photo in the article, I'd fall into the error of thinking this must be a man of belligerence and vanity.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
How do priests wearing dresses all the time fit into that all trans thing and bathroom usage? Curious.

Reaction score
mike said:
How do priests wearing dresses all the time fit into that all trans thing and bathroom usage? Curious.
You watch your mouth Mike, it not ok talking about a priest that way, you seem real hostile to the faith lately.

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
This is extremist evil and has no place in the church or in civil society.

He doesn't defy "the world"; Fr. Josiah teaches people to cower/lash out in fear of it.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
We owe veneration to priests. Making fun at liturgical garments relating them to transsexualism because a priest said a perceived mean thing is the opposite of that.

mike said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
You watch your mouth Mike, it not ok talking about a priest that way
Is it ok for priests to talk like that?
Two wrongs don't make a right.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
“There’s a long and consistent history of unusual bathroom use in the LGBT community"

- Favorite quote ever.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
The inimitable Fr Josiah is bravely standing up to the Homofascists and their bathroom intrusions at the World Council of Families in Tbilisi: http://frjohnpeck.com/homofascists-not-welcome/
Great speech!  Thanks for the video!

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps I watched the wrong video, as nobody else has commented on this: the topic of his discussion in that video does not match Fr John's write-up.

I have listened to the audio from a talk he gave at that conference that does, though.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
mike said:
Watch your face orifice, Mike.  He is still an ordained priest and you aren't allowed to have an opinion on him.

Clemente

Elder
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Svartzorn said:
Homosexuality does seem to have a strong fascination for heterosexual men, and not just on this forum. On the other hand, you and I should admit it's a common topic in news sources, which treat it as politically relevant.
Absolutely. Don't rock the boat or the LGBT lobby might not like us. It's so much easier just to do whatever they want.

Clemente

Elder
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Svartzorn said:
Stay a while.  There'll be more.
Yes, let's instead concentrate on ecological sins. All that stuff about homosexuality being bad is so antiquated.

Clemente

Elder
Reaction score
mike said:
RaphaCam said:
Watch your words, he's still a priest.
And?

seekeroftruth777 said:

, you seem real hostile to the faith lately.
Not really.
Fortunately, Father Trenham has learnt enough from St. John Chrysostom not to worry too much about criticism, especially when he stands on the side of Orthodoxy.

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
Clemente said:
mike said:
RaphaCam said:
And?

seekeroftruth777 said:

Not really.
Fortunately, Father Trenham has learnt enough from St. John Chrysostom
Like how to send your wife to bed without dinner if she misbehaves?

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Clemente said:
mike said:
RaphaCam said:
And?

seekeroftruth777 said:

Not really.
Fortunately, Father Trenham has learnt enough from St. John Chrysostom not to worry too much about criticism, especially when he stands on the side of Orthodoxy.

Not worrying about criticism does not automagically make one 'on the side of Orthodoxy'.

Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
Clemente said:
mike said:
RaphaCam said:
And?

seekeroftruth777 said:

Not really.

Not worrying about criticism does not automagically make one 'on the side of Orthodoxy'.
So Denise should Orthodoxy just cave on the Sin of Homosexuality then? What is Fr. Josiah doing that not on the side of Orthodoxy? It seems strange that people get mad at priests, heirarchs and whole Orthodox nations for their opostion to this sin.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
mike said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
mike said:
You watch your mouth Mike, it not ok talking about a priest that way, you seem real hostile to the faith lately.
May I suggest that even if justified, not to act like someone who is pointing a figurer inappropriately.  If you must disagree with Mike, do so as part of a discussion, not in an accusative manner.

Reaction score
minasoliman said:
RaphaCam said:
mike said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
mike said:
May I suggest that even if justified, not to act like someone who is pointing a figurer inappropriately.  If you must disagree with Mike, do so as part of a discussion, not in an accusative manner.
OK Mina, I was wrong, won't happen again. I just get tired that some laity don't show respect for the hierarchy, and even ridicule them, still I was wrong.