• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Fr. Michael (Mansbridge-Wood) supsended?

elijahmaria

Taxiarches
Joined
Mar 28, 2010
Messages
6,515
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Website
irenikontheskete.blogspot.com
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Irish Hermit said:
Fr.Aidan said:
Fr. Michael's suspension has been lifted, but he has also been relieved of all duties except for caring for St. Petroc's in Tasmania.
Beatus homo, qui corripitur a Deo;
increpationem ergo Omnipotentis ne reprobes.
Quia ipse vulnerat et medetur,
percutit, et manus eius sanabunt.


Job 5:17&18
Perfect. 

You do good work.
 

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Joined
Oct 11, 2003
Messages
10,980
Reaction score
6
Points
0
Location
Middle Earth
elijahmaria said:
Irish Hermit said:
Fr.Aidan said:
Fr. Michael's suspension has been lifted, but he has also been relieved of all duties except for caring for St. Petroc's in Tasmania.
Beatus homo, qui corripitur a Deo;
increpationem ergo Omnipotentis ne reprobes.
Quia ipse vulnerat et medetur,
percutit, et manus eius sanabunt.


Job 5:17&18
Perfect. 

You do good work.
I think it was probably the work of Saint Jerome.  :)
 

elijahmaria

Taxiarches
Joined
Mar 28, 2010
Messages
6,515
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Website
irenikontheskete.blogspot.com
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Irish Hermit said:
elijahmaria said:
Irish Hermit said:
Fr.Aidan said:
Fr. Michael's suspension has been lifted, but he has also been relieved of all duties except for caring for St. Petroc's in Tasmania.
Beatus homo, qui corripitur a Deo;
increpationem ergo Omnipotentis ne reprobes.
Quia ipse vulnerat et medetur,
percutit, et manus eius sanabunt.


Job 5:17&18
Perfect. 

You do good work.
I think it was probably the work of Saint Jerome.  :)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good'n!!

But it is kind in its truthfulness, and true in its kindness.  I was not kind in my remarks at all, and you reminded me of what really counts.  So I thank you and will follow your lead, and pray Father Michael finds peace and that in his peacefulness, he finds souls who are in need of him in this life.

Mary
 

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Joined
Oct 11, 2003
Messages
10,980
Reaction score
6
Points
0
Location
Middle Earth
Good news on another e-list from Bishop Jerome who writes:

> The ROCOR WR in Britain has not been dissolved.
> I am hoping to visit the UK this year, and ordain
> someone to carry on the ministry.

 

SubdeaconDavid

High Elder
Joined
Aug 26, 2010
Messages
504
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Tasmania Australia
Website
orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com
Irish Hermit said:
Good news on another e-list from Bishop Jerome who writes:

> The ROCOR WR in Britain has not been dissolved.
> I am hoping to visit the UK this year, and ordain
> someone to carry on the ministry.
Let us pray that the RWRV Christians of the St Patroc Paruchia find shelter and priestly ministry in the UK soon.  With so many English convert Byzantine rite priests serving in both the Church Abroad and Moscow Patriarchal Diocese in the UK, surely they can get culturally appropriate pastoral care and support right now. To see the clergy contact details of the Church Abroad's UK Diocese see: http://www.rocor.org.uk/directory.html The stavropegial RWRV missions of St. Nectean and St. Eanswythe, formerly under Hieromonk Michael now list their clergy as "vacant".  Both mission websites appear to have been modified, and WR hours (Matins) is done, presumably as a Reader service currently.  Web links can be find at the ROCOR GB site. Both mmissions are listed as being
under the direct guidance of Bishop Jerome (Shaw), vicar bishop for the Western Rite, and assistant to Metropolitan Hilarion, primate of the Russian Orthodox Church outside Russia.
 

SubdeaconDavid

High Elder
Joined
Aug 26, 2010
Messages
504
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Tasmania Australia
Website
orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com
Update from Tasmania:  The University of Tasmania closed the Alexander Center ecumenical chaplaincy centre, preferring cold hard cash to a spiritual centre located adjacent to the campus.  This was the home of St. Dyfan Russian Western Rite Vicariate Mission run by the St Petroc Monastery of Hiermonk Michael (Mansbridge-Wood) which is now seeking a new base and worshipping in the chapel at St. Petroc Monastery. http://stpetrocmonastery.blogspot.com/

On a happier note Hieromonk Michael (Mansbridge-Wood) and his St. Dyfan flock are attending the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy being served in commemoration of the Patronal Festival of  Exaltation of the Holy Cross Russian Orthodox Church in Lenah Valley, Hobart, on Sunday 3 October (new style) served by His Grace Bishop Ireney (Serbian Orthodox Church), the Rector of Hobart and Dandenong and Vicar-General of the Australian  & New Zealand Diocese of the Russian Church Abroad (ROCOR), Mitred Archpriest Dr. Mikhail Protopopov, the Abbott of St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Monastery (Victoria), Archimandrite Theodore, assisted by a Serbian deacon.

My son Elias is being baptised tomorrow, happy to receive the blessings of 1 Orthodox bishop and 3 Orthodox priests!
 

ialmisry

Strategos
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
41,970
Reaction score
179
Points
63
Location
Chicago
SubdeaconDavid said:
Update from Tasmania:  The University of Tasmania closed the Alexander Center ecumenical chaplaincy centre, preferring cold hard cash to a spiritual centre located adjacent to the campus.  This was the home of St. Dyfan Russian Western Rite Vicariate Mission run by the St Petroc Monastery of Hiermonk Michael (Mansbridge-Wood) which is now seeking a new base and worshipping in the chapel at St. Petroc Monastery. http://stpetrocmonastery.blogspot.com/

On a happier note Hieromonk Michael (Mansbridge-Wood) and his St. Dyfan flock are attending the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy being served in commemoration of the Patronal Festival of  Exaltation of the Holy Cross Russian Orthodox Church in Lenah Valley, Hobart, on Sunday 3 October (new style) served by His Grace Bishop Ireney (Serbian Orthodox Church), the Rector of Hobart and Dandenong and Vicar-General of the Australian  & New Zealand Diocese of the Russian Church Abroad (ROCOR), Mitred Archpriest Dr. Mikhail Protopopov, the Abbott of St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Monastery (Victoria), Archimandrite Theodore, assisted by a Serbian deacon.

My son Elias is being baptised tomorrow, happy to receive the blessings of 1 Orthodox bishop and 3 Orthodox priests!
Many years!
 

Fr.Aidan

High Elder
Joined
Nov 28, 2010
Messages
503
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Austin, Texas
Website
www.sarisburium.blogspot.com
Happy to hear of the baptism, sorry to hear that the chapel is being lost. But perhaps this will be a blessing in disguise, according to God's will, in light of future events not revealed as yet.
 

SubdeaconDavid

High Elder
Joined
Aug 26, 2010
Messages
504
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Tasmania Australia
Website
orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com
Postcript:
Sadly we did not get to venerate the new icon of St. Petroc as only one WR person attended our festival yesterday. Nonetheless we had Russians, Serbs, Australians, Ethiopians, catechumen and some more present for as joy filled Liturgy, procession and feast.  It was a pity that we missed sharing it with the Western rite congregation and clergy.
 

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Joined
Oct 11, 2003
Messages
10,980
Reaction score
6
Points
0
Location
Middle Earth
A communication today from Father Anthony Bondi who has been apppointed by Metropolitan Hilarion as Pastoral Vicar of the Western Rite and he works under Bishop Jerome.

<quote>The following missions have withdrawn from St Petroc Monastery's oversight and are now part of the Fraternity of St Gregory and under Bishop Jerome.


SAINT NECTAN Barnstaple, Devon, England
SAINT EANSWYTHE Christchurch, Dorset, England

SAINT BEDE THE VENERABLE, Cleethorpes, NE Lincolnshire, England


Under Bishop Jerome:


SAINT DYFAN Hobart, Tasmania
SAINT GILDAS Perth, Western Australia



 

SubdeaconDavid

High Elder
Joined
Aug 26, 2010
Messages
504
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Tasmania Australia
Website
orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com
Irish Hermit said:
A communication today from Father Anthony Bondi who has been apppointed by Metropolitan Hilarion as Pastoral Vicar of the Western Rite and he works under Bishop Jerome.

<quote>The following missions have withdrawn from St Petroc Monastery's oversight and are now part of the Fraternity of St Gregory and under Bishop Jerome.


SAINT NECTAN Barnstaple, Devon, England
SAINT EANSWYTHE Christchurch, Dorset, England

SAINT BEDE THE VENERABLE, Cleethorpes, NE Lincolnshire, England


Under Bishop Jerome:


SAINT DYFAN Hobart, Tasmania
SAINT GILDAS Perth, Western Australia
My understanding from the St. Gildas (St Petroc Monastery aka SPM website) is that St. Gildas Perth is long closed - a fact that is  acknowledged by Fr. Michael (Mansbridge-Wood) who is/was presumably the webmaster for the suite of SPM sites.  The website says:
]THIS MISSION IS NOT CURRENTLY OPERATING
  See in full at:http://perthorthodox.blogspot.com/

Perhaps St. Petroc Monastery (SPM) re-started it and just did not update their website?  In regard to the UK I heard  that Hieromonk Michael (Mansbridge-Wood) will be in Scotland in the New Year leading a retreat on a Scottish island (Iona?).  I am not sure under which organisation's auspices the retreat is. It may be private.

In relation to St. Dyfan Hobart, the St Dyfan (SPM?) website has a link direct from the official Australian & New Zealand ROCOR Diocesan website
http://www.rocor.org.au/
to the mission website at http://hobartorthodox.blogspot.com/ that states the Mission is under
the oversight of Fr. Barry
Jeffery. The St Innocent Clergy Directory of ROCOR lists Fr. Barry Jeffery and additionally lists Hieromonk Michael (Wood) / (Mansbridge-Wood). Neither the Directory or ROCOR website notes that St Dyfan or St Gildas is now under the direction of Vladyka Jerome.
 

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Joined
Oct 11, 2003
Messages
10,980
Reaction score
6
Points
0
Location
Middle Earth
Church websites and directories are notoriously tardy with updates.  In dubious matters don't put too much reliance on them.
:laugh:

SubdeaconDavid said:
Irish Hermit said:
A communication today from Father Anthony Bondi who has been apppointed by Metropolitan Hilarion as Pastoral Vicar of the Western Rite and he works under Bishop Jerome.

<quote>The following missions have withdrawn from St Petroc Monastery's oversight and are now part of the Fraternity of St Gregory and under Bishop Jerome.


SAINT NECTAN Barnstaple, Devon, England
SAINT EANSWYTHE Christchurch, Dorset, England

SAINT BEDE THE VENERABLE, Cleethorpes, NE Lincolnshire, England


Under Bishop Jerome:


SAINT DYFAN Hobart, Tasmania
SAINT GILDAS Perth, Western Australia
My understanding from the St. Gildas (St Petroc Monastery aka SPM website) is that St. Gildas Perth is long closed - a fact that is  acknowledged by Fr. Michael (Mansbridge-Wood) who is/was presumably the webmaster for the suite of SPM sites.  The website says:
]THIS MISSION IS NOT CURRENTLY OPERATING
  See in full at:http://perthorthodox.blogspot.com/

Perhaps St. Petroc Monastery (SPM) re-started it and just did not update their website?  In regard to the UK I heard  that Hieromonk Michael (Mansbridge-Wood) will be in Scotland in the New Year leading a retreat on a Scottish island (Iona?).  I am not sure under which organisation's auspices the retreat is. It may be private.

In relation to St. Dyfan Hobart, the St Dyfan (SPM?) website has a link direct from the official Australian & New Zealand ROCOR Diocesan website
http://www.rocor.org.au/
to the mission website at http://hobartorthodox.blogspot.com/ that states the Mission is under
the oversight of Fr. Barry
Jeffery. The St Innocent Clergy Directory of ROCOR lists Fr. Barry Jeffery and additionally lists Hieromonk Michael (Wood) / (Mansbridge-Wood). Neither the Directory or ROCOR website notes that St Dyfan or St Gildas is now under the direction of Vladyka Jerome.
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,659
Reaction score
12
Points
38
Faith
Orthodox
[size=10pt][size=10pt]

Metropolitan’s Decree

February 23, 2013

No. 2-28-13

In  view of his violations of the canons by disrespect of the person of the Patriarch and other members of the Hierarchy, lengthy absences from his parish in Hobart, Tasmania, causing spiritual neglect of the faithful of his church community, and the constant inflammatory and unedifying  negative comments which he publicly broadcasts within the religious media, bringing disrepute to the Orthodox witness of the Western Rite  movement, Hieromonk Michael (Mansbridge-Wood), cleric of the Australian and New Zealand Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, is hereby suspended and relieved of all his priestly duties and obligations concerning the Western Rite in the United Kingdom and elsewhere, and is retired from active service in the Church.

Given the above, any and all blessings for his websites are hereby withdrawn.

+Hilarion

Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia
[/size][/size]
Source: http://www.rocor.org.au/?p=7603
 

mike

Protostrator
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
24,873
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
31
Location
Białystok / Warsaw
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
He left ROCOR for some True Orthodoxy.
 

WR-News

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
226
Reaction score
140
Points
43
Location
United Kingdom
Apparently he is taking up permanent residence in Scotland, which is great news for the canonical ROCOR WR mission in the UK...

Please pray for us!
 

Shanghaiski

Merarches
Joined
Dec 26, 2009
Messages
8,181
Reaction score
243
Points
63
Age
43
Location
Wisconsin, USA
ROCORWRVUK said:
Apparently he is taking up permanent residence in Scotland, which is great news for the canonical ROCOR WR mission in the UK...

Please pray for us!
Wait, but he is no longer in ROCOR...
 

WR-News

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
226
Reaction score
140
Points
43
Location
United Kingdom
Shanghaiski said:
ROCORWRVUK said:
Apparently he is taking up permanent residence in Scotland, which is great news for the canonical ROCOR WR mission in the UK...

Please pray for us!
Wait, but he is no longer in ROCOR...
Sorry, my sarcasm didn't translate very well over the net. I should stick to official news announcements!

I was being serious about the prayers, though, we will really need them if this is the case.
 

Margaret S.

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2009
Messages
165
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Scotland
ROCORWRVUK said:
Shanghaiski said:
ROCORWRVUK said:
Apparently he is taking up permanent residence in Scotland, which is great news for the canonical ROCOR WR mission in the UK...

Please pray for us!
Wait, but he is no longer in ROCOR...
Sorry, my sarcasm didn't translate very well over the net. I should stick to official news announcements!

I was being serious about the prayers, though, we will really need them if this is the case.
We'll pray you manage to find some service times to put on your church's website :) How long have you been ordained now?
 

WR-News

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
226
Reaction score
140
Points
43
Location
United Kingdom
Margaret S. said:
ROCORWRVUK said:
Shanghaiski said:
ROCORWRVUK said:
Apparently he is taking up permanent residence in Scotland, which is great news for the canonical ROCOR WR mission in the UK...

Please pray for us!
Wait, but he is no longer in ROCOR...
Sorry, my sarcasm didn't translate very well over the net. I should stick to official news announcements!

I was being serious about the prayers, though, we will really need them if this is the case.
We'll pray you manage to find some service times to put on your church's website :) How long have you been ordained now?
Thank you. I'm not ordained, I'm merely someone who makes news announcements.
 

searn77

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2009
Messages
241
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Margaret S. said:
arimethea said:
Michał Kalina said:
He left ROCOR for some True Orthodoxy.
So we have another schismatic on our hands.
Like Fr Anastasios, you mean?  ???
Fr. Michael is now in the Russian True Orthodox synod that's under Metropolitan Raphael (http://ipckatakomb.ru/) which my own synod is in communion with. And yes, while our synods are not in communion with (formerly father) Anastasios, both Anastasios' synod and our synods are True Orthodox synods.
 

Alpo

Merarches
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
9,878
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
searn77 said:
Fr. Michael is now in the Russian True Orthodox synod that's under Metropolitan Raphael (http://ipckatakomb.ru/) which my own synod is in communion with. And yes, while our synods are not in communion with (formerly father) Anastasios, both Anastasios' synod and our synods are True Orthodox synods.
Interesting. I wonder he chose Russian church instead of a Western church.
 

Shlomlokh

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
1,356
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
33
Location
Roanoke, VA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Bulgarian/GOA
Alpo said:
searn77 said:
Fr. Michael is now in the Russian True Orthodox synod that's under Metropolitan Raphael (http://ipckatakomb.ru/) which my own synod is in communion with. And yes, while our synods are not in communion with (formerly father) Anastasios, both Anastasios' synod and our synods are True Orthodox synods.
Interesting. I wonder he chose Russian church instead of a Western church.
Better pension or retirement plan?

In Christ,
Andrew
 

Orthodox11

Archon
Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
2,994
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Alpo said:
Interesting. I wonder he chose Russian church instead of a Western church.
He continues to serve in the Western rite under that Russian church, so in that respect it's the same as his situation under ROCOR, a Russian jurisdiction with a WR mission.
 

arimethea

Archon
Joined
May 30, 2003
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
46
Location
United State of America
I can not remember where I posted my reservations about some of the people that were being ordained by ROCOR to serve the WR, but I think it was in this topic. I did not name names so as not to cause prejudice against any of them. Here is a topic about one of these people, and when you look at his whole story you will see why he was never able to pass vetting with other jurisdictions. http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,52139.0.html
 
Joined
Apr 6, 2021
Messages
12
Reaction score
11
Points
3
Location
Greece
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Maronia and Komotini
Christ is Risen!

Is there any recent information about father Michael? Has he returned to ROCOR or is he still with the Russian True Orthodox Synod under metropolitan Raphael? The ROCOR Western Rite website does not list his monastery or his name (https://www.rocor-wr.org/parishes).
 
Last edited:

WR-News

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
226
Reaction score
140
Points
43
Location
United Kingdom
Christ is Risen!

Is there any recent information about father Michael? Has he returned to ROCOR or is he still with the Russian True Orthodox Synod under metropolitan Raphael? The ROCOR Western Rite website does not list his monastery or his name (https://www.rocor-wr.org/parishes).
He returned to ROCOR not soon after this thread, probably in early 2014 if I remember correctly.

I haven't heard anything from them since three or four years ago, so I can't say for certain what is going on there.
 

Pater Cyprianus

Hieromonk Cyprian
Joined
Jul 18, 2020
Messages
51
Reaction score
31
Points
18
Location
Manchester, UK
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of the Gauls
Christ is Risen!

Is there any recent information about father Michael? Has he returned to ROCOR or is he still with the Russian True Orthodox Synod under metropolitan Raphael? The ROCOR Western Rite website does not list his monastery or his name (https://www.rocor-wr.org/parishes).
As stated above, Hieromonk Michael's separation from ROCOR was very short-lived. He was reconciled to Metropolitan Hilarion soon after his departure.

The St Bride Hermitage may not appear on the directory of ROCOR Western Rite communities but it does appear on the standard ROCOR directory, and is listed there as Western Rite, and the Hermitage Facebook page was last updated a little over a fortnight ago. Hm Michael himself posts regularly to Facebook.
 
Top