• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Fr. Trenham's accent

maneki_neko

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
AOCA of North America
I'm just curious because I've been listening to a few of Fr. Trenham's podcasts, and he has a distinct accent that I can't place, but it appears he was born and raised in the U.S. Can anyone shed some light on this? Was he perhaps raised in a bilingual household?

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
I haven't noticed.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
I've noticed he has a speech impediment when an s precedes a t. He'll switch out the s for an f, so "priests" becomes "priefts," for instance. I wouldn't call it an accent, though.

maneki_neko

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
AOCA of North America
Antonis said:
I've noticed he has a speech impediment when an s precedes a t. He'll switch out the s for an f, so "priests" becomes "priefts," for instance. I wouldn't call it an accent, though.
I thought perhaps that was the case. However, I heard some rolled 'r's in addition and wondered if he was bilingual. *shrugs*

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
It’s called ‘pretention’

As in ‘I was educated in the UK so I will try to sound funny so people will ask about it and I can talk about myself.’

Daniel2:47

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR GB
DeniseDenise said:
It’s called ‘pretention’

As in ‘I was educated in the UK so I will try to sound funny so people will ask about it and I can talk about myself.’
This is a slur and says far more about you than about him

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
It’s a comment affectation

See Madonna.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
I knew a few people who studied a year at the University of Castlevania and came back talking the same way.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Antonis said:
Please do not say critical things about The Very Reverend Protopresbyter Josiah Trenham, PhD. 

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
I don't know about Fr. Trenham, but I do know that "homiletics" as it was taught in mainline seminaries of the '60s and '70s encouraged a particular kind of mincing tone.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Porter ODoran said:
I don't know about Fr. Trenham, but I do know that "homiletics" as it was taught in mainline seminaries of the '60s and '70s encouraged a particular kind of mincing tone.
I think I know what you're talking about and it's the worst. Some kind of robotic care-bear on cough syrup thing. I hear it every time I'm in a Methodist church. But I don't recall detecting that tone in Fr. Josiah's online talks.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
Iconodule said:
Porter ODoran said:
I think I know what you're talking about and it's the worst. Some kind of robotic care-bear on cough syrup thing. I hear it every time I'm in a Methodist church. But I don't recall detecting that tone in Fr. Josiah's online talks.
Love your imagery here. :)

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Iconodule said:
Porter ODoran said:
Oh man, there was a RC priest in my then-girlfriend's parish who would always give the same homily all the time, and it was torture to listen to because of his delivery.  I may vocaroo myself if I can do it justice...

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
GOAA
Mor Ephrem said:
Iconodule said:
Porter ODoran said:
Oh man, there was a RC priest in my then-girlfriend's parish who would always give the same homily all the time, and it was torture to listen to because of his delivery.  I may vocaroo myself if I can do it justice...
Please do!

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
Iconodule said:
Porter ODoran said:
I know the one. It's really distracting when you combine it with a thick Southern Alabama.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Sigh.

I meant this.

https://youtu.be/_bY0fdgpISc

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
I didn't notice much unusual in Fr Trenham's American pronunciation. He enunciated his words to make them clearer, and when he reads from a script, he pauses more between words than in casual speech, which is normal.

Here is a sample of that:
https://youtu.be/YU64XlytYok