• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Fraternal Organzations

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Note: I don't really intend this thread to be about freemasonry, as that topic's old hat.

So what fraternal organizations, both inside and outside of the Church, are you guys members of?

I'm in the process of joining the Sons of the American Revolution myself, which is just a fraternal hereditary society for males descended from those who fought in the American Revolution.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
I'm a member of the Fraternal Orders of the Winged Platypus and the Horned Rat.  I can't say anything about it.  It's extra secret.

As for the Sons of the American Revolution - that's interesting.  I actually had an ancestor who fought in the Revolutionary War.  He was a Hessian.

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
vamrat said:
I'm a member of the Fraternal Orders of the Winged Platypus and the Horned Rat.  I can't say anything about it.  It's extra secret.
A good choice.

As for the Sons of the American Revolution - that's interesting.  I actually had an ancestor who fought in the Revolutionary War.  He was a Hessian.
If I recall correctly I actually had a Hessian ancestor in the War as well, but the ancestor I traced my lineage back to for SAR membership was a Virginian and served in the militia.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
What I have experienced made me get a bad impression of fraternities.  But that's just my own local experience.  I understand there are different fraternities out there.

My own half cent worth:  as long as there's no hazing, good social services, and good future connections for benefits (or some sort of bonding and educational experience), I think why not?

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
fraternal organizations are not college fraternities.

A fraternity or fraternal organization is an organized society of men associated together in an environment of companionship and brotherhood; dedicated to the intellectual, physical, and social development of its members. Some historically male-only organizations now include women.

Service clubs, lineage societies, and secret societies are among the fraternal organizations here listed.

some do very good charitable work...like Rotary Club, Lions Club

Rotary International is an international service organization whose stated human rights purpose is to bring together business and professional leaders in order to provide humanitarian services, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and to advance goodwill and peace around the world. It is a secular organization open to all people regardless of race, color, creed, religion, gender, or political preference. There are 34,282 member clubs worldwide. 1.2 million individuals called Rotarians have joined these clubs

Lions Clubs International (LCI) is an International secular, non-political service organization founded by Melvin Jones in 1917. As of April 2015, it had over 46,000 local clubs and more than 1.4 million members in over 200 countries around the world.[1] Headquartered in Oak Brook, Illinois, United States, the organization aims to meet the needs of communities on a local and global scale.

not all are religious or spooky secret things...

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
DeniseDenise said:

A fraternity or fraternal organization is an organized society of men associated together in an environment of companionship and brotherhood; dedicated to the intellectual, physical, and social development of its members. Some historically male-only organizations now include women.

Service clubs, lineage societies, and secret societies are among the fraternal organizations here listed.

Rotary International is an international service organization whose stated human rights purpose is to bring together business and professional leaders in order to provide humanitarian services, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and to advance goodwill and peace around the world. It is a secular organization open to all people regardless of race, color, creed, religion, gender, or political preference. There are 34,282 member clubs worldwide. 1.2 million individuals called Rotarians have joined these clubs

Lions Clubs International (LCI) is an International secular, non-political service organization founded by Melvin Jones in 1917. As of April 2015, it had over 46,000 local clubs and more than 1.4 million members in over 200 countries around the world.[1] Headquartered in Oak Brook, Illinois, United States, the organization aims to meet the needs of communities on a local and global scale.

Rotary club is considered in Poland as a kind of masonery, and if a priest (Catholic or Orthodox) is accused of being a member or even sympathezing with them, it's a bad thing...

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
What I have experienced made me get a bad impression of fraternities.  But that's just my own local experience.  I understand there are different fraternities out there.

My own half cent worth:  as long as there's no hazing, good social services, and good future connections for benefits (or some sort of bonding and educational experience), I think why not?
Yeah, that's how I see it.

The Sons of the American Revolution mostly seems to encourage historical awareness, civic duty, patriotism, and citizenship. They sometimes dress up as Revolutionary soldiers, having color guards, and take part in parades, reenactments, citizenship/naturalization ceremonies, etc. They also will take care of the cemeteries and graves of Revolutionaries, educate the youth, and so on. Maybe charity work too.

So definitely nothing wonky going on there, unless one is absolutely against any form of nationalism I suppose.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a history enthusiast club to me, like one of those cultural "Honor Societies" we had in high school.

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Tau Beta Pi (engineering honor society) had a secret ceremony  :-\ and I get their magazine, but I do nothing with them otherwise.
I could probably join the Polish Union of America, or the rebel upstarts and bitter rivals the Polish Union of the United States of North America  :D

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Justin Kolodziej said:
Tau Beta Pi (engineering honor society) had a secret ceremony  :-\ and I get their magazine, but I do nothing with them otherwise.
I could probably join the Polish Union of America, or the rebel upstarts and bitter rivals the Polish Union of the United States of North America  :D
yea that's unfortunate

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I am a member of Skull and Bones of OC.net. It is very prestigious, but sadly I cannot divulge any further info.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Please share in the private forum  ;)

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
I am a member of Skull and Bones of OC.net. It is very prestigious, but sadly I cannot divulge any further info.
You've divulged quite enough.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
vamrat said:
TheTrisagion said:
You've divulged quite enough.
I think Tris just revoked his own membership.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I'm shackled and typing this with my nose in the basement of our HQ. Please send help. My execution is tomorrow. I'm too young to die!

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Your nose has impeccable spelling!  Maybe we'll save it for posterity.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Dominika said:
Rotary club is considered in Poland as a kind of masonery, and if a priest (Catholic or Orthodox) is accused of being a member or even sympathezing with them, it's a bad thing...
Polish Rotary must be very different than what I've seen.

My work made me join a local Rotary club for a while for networking purposes (I haven't been a member in six years), and as far as I could tell the entire point of the meetings were for old men to get together, eat banana pudding and tell borderline jokes. Occasionally, a political candidate would come pander at the meetings, but I can't think of any time the club actually influenced anything beyond giving a scholarship to a kid studying modern abolition. At Christmas there were drinks and an auction.

I dunno. Maybe I was left out of all the skullduggery because at the time I was a good 30 years younger than the majority of the members. I have absolutely no interest in returning.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
RaphaCam said:
Is boy scouts considered a secret society?
In Middle East Orthodox scouts are an impoltant element of the culture, church services and solemnities. Examples from Syria:
St. George scouts in Tartous
Holy Cross scouts in Damascus

In Poland there is also one Orthodox group of scouts in Podlasie (region with the highest Orthodox presence in the country): https://www.facebook.com/340993782613825/photos/?tab=albums

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
There are also from what I hear Coptic boys and girls scouts respectively as well in Egypt.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've let my official SCA membership lapse, but I still consider myself a member and will return when I can afford it.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
I've let my official SCA membership lapse, but I still consider myself a member and will return when I can afford it.

Sexual Compulsives Anonymous?

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Bishop of Chios Mark (Ecumenical Patriarchate) said that members of Rotary club aren't allowed to be godparents; Church of Greece has also many suspicions regarding this organisation; it claims that Christian identity should be enough for believers.
Source: http://dveri.bg/w8cfw

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I forgot to mention I'm a member of the premier southern social fraternity, Sam's Club.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Agabus said:
I forgot to mention I'm a member of the premier southern social fraternity, Sam's Club.
Best place to get olive oil for the lamps at church.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Dominika said:
DeniseDenise said:

That's....unexpected

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Here Freemasons are everywhere, any important seat in Law and Politics belong to them. It's disgusting, but people fear talking about it even if in person, as if Freemasonry was an all-knowing supervillain entity... OK, it knows a lot and it's super vile, but it's not an all-knowing supervillain.

People have told me more than once to enter there or in DeMolay, but I'd rather play job life in the hard way without having to go Luciferian.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Everybody where I live is part of this "Esoteric Order of Dagon." I don't know what it's about but a friend of mine invited me to come to one of their gatherings next week and I'm excited.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
OK, it knows a lot and it's super vile, but it's not an all-knowing supervillain.
How can you excuse pan-heresy like that?  :'( This is exactly how truth dies: when even good people refuse to stand up to the  tyranny of fraternity. We have fraternities in Pennsylvania and they're awful, they've taken over academia. I don't even want to get into the masons either--we're called "the keystone state," so suffice to say we've had that kind of industry interpenetrating our cultural dna from the start!

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Maybe some members of St. Anthony's belonged to the Masonic lodge, because of their arrangement for premises?:

The History of the First Pan-Orthodox Parish in the Antiochian Archdiocese

St. Anthony Orthodox Church has a unique history within the story of Orthodox Christianity in North America.

[Planned building]

In the same year of the charter, 1956, the Episcopal priest, Father Jim Mitchell welcomed the original group, small as it was, to worship at St. Paul's Chapel in Englewood, New Jersey.

With the growth of the Church's membership, we overcrowded St. Paul's facilities and on December 1, the move was made to the Masonic Lodge on Palisades Avenue in Englewood. At this point, there were thirty active families in regular attendance. Father Lyashevsky, for the most part, continued serving on Sundays at the Masonic Hall until Deacon Gabriel Ashie was ordained in September of 1958 and became our full time Priest. This was a time of rapid growth, spiritual revelation and joy in the growth of the movement. At the Masonic Lodge, we were permitted use of the premises on Sundays and Wednesdays only. It was therefore necessary to have a portable Iconostasis which had to be put up and taken down every Sunday, along with folding chairs.
http://stanthonybergenfield.org/historychurch.html

What would it be like to have divine liturgy in a Masonic lodge? Would the service be conducted and feel the same as in a normal Orthodox church? They would not have wall ikons, or maybe belfry bells, but those things aren't necessary for a service.