• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

From Greek Archdiocese - Should this be concerning?

Menas17

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
Should the wording here from the Greek Archdiocese be concerning to the faithful. They seem to be indirectly saying that the Eucharist can indeed spread disease.

Attachments

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
I like to believe that nobody can get sick from communion, even though the rational side of me cringes at the thought.
Who knew taking communion would ever be as thought provoking as walking a tightrope.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I’d think it is precisely because of the physical nature of the Eucharist that we can’t get sick from it. Just me, though.

Ioustinos

Reaction score
that text is from a post of the site Public Orthodoxy, wich is not officialy associated to any Jurisdiction

https://publicorthodoxy.org/2020/05/13/faith-reason-and-the-eucharist/

don't know why the print shows it as having been published by goarch, i couldn't find it on their site.
I found it. The article was reprinted in the Orthodox Observer put out by GOARCH

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
I think the articles author has missing a key issue and is trying to say that the body and blood can be tainted. No sir.
We aren't fearful of the bread or wine. We are fearful of the common spoon, because it is a center point of contact of multiple mouth's that may or my not be infected.
I'm just happy that the church is now using multiple spoons and I happily communioned without fear a few weeks ago.
As far as the hard core one spoon traditionalists are concerned. All I have to say. Is your faith strong enough that you would jump from a bridge and ask god to save you before you hit the water? Well, that is what you are asking god to do for you knowing that a disease is circulating in the general population.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
A scientific article I read said that there is no known case of someone getting a disease from the Eucharist.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
A scientific article I read said that there is no known case of someone getting a disease from the Eucharist.
I believe that as well but, if you ask a medical professional they would tell you otherwise. So there is no harm in taking precaution. There is no reason to put God to the test.
If you think about it the spoon is also an innovation, because Christ shared a cup with his apostles and not a spoon.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
True. Didn't the spoon come around the 800's AD or so?

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
I believe that as well but, if you ask a medical professional they would tell you otherwise. So there is no harm in taking precaution. There is no reason to put God to the test.
If you think about it the spoon is also an innovation, because Christ shared a cup with his apostles and not a spoon.
The medical professional would certainly not tell me otherwise than the article's statement that there are no known cases of people getting diseased from the Eucharist, unless there is some case that you know of.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Yes
The medical professional would tell you to wash hands, cover mouth, keep distance, and not lick things others have licked.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
The medical professional would certainly not tell me otherwise than the article's statement that there are no known cases of people getting diseased from the Eucharist, unless there is some case that you know of.
I dont know of any but I do cringe when I see lipstick on the spoon that isn't my wifes. Are you saying that animal fat cant harbor contaminants?

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
The medical professional would tell you to wash hands, cover mouth, keep distance, and not lick things others have licked.
Also, don't commune. Don't sing. In fact, better not go to church at all.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Also, don't commune. Don't sing. In fact, better not go to church at all.
Yes, California has a voluntary guideline against church singing. Most of the antivirus restrictions, measures, and prohibitions in the nation are hysterical overkill, IMO. I even see some people wearing masks when they are alone driving their cars. In reality, they are far more likely to die of a car accident than die of the virus.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
You sound like a serial killer.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
"Most of the antivirus restrictions, measures, and prohibitions in the nation are hysterical overkill, IMO. I even see some people wearing masks when they are alone driving their cars. In reality, they are far more likely to die of a car accident"
You sound like a serial killer.
I have seen people mowing their big lawns in summer and shoveling snow this winter with no neighbors anywhere outside within sight of them. They could conceivably die of frostbite or get injured from their mowers, but they could not conceivably get COVID on their property. Wait.... I'm wrong. Conceivably a bat with COVID could fly down in the middle of the day and bite or breath in their face.... But rabies from the bat would be a bigger concern for me. But that rabies concern could just be more absurdity on my part.

Alpo2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Fenno-Ugric Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Finnish Orthodox Inside of Finland
I don't think Eucharist can spread disease but I don't see how this is anyhow relevant in practice when it comes to attending services. Eucharist won't make you sick but not keeping social distance and kissing thinks can certainly make you sick.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Yes
We approach the Holy Eucharist in faith. Whatever is not in faith is sin. Lord, have mercy.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
I have seen people mowing their big lawns in summer and shoveling snow this winter with no neighbors anywhere outside within sight of them. They could conceivably die of frostbite or get injured from their mowers, but they could not conceivably get COVID on their property. Wait.... I'm wrong. Conceivably a bat with COVID could fly down in the middle of the day and bite or breath in their face.... But rabies from the bat would be a bigger concern for me. But that rabies concern could just be more absurdity on my part.
I know where I live. It's mandatory for landscapers to ware masks on the job. I also attribute the single driver/mask wearer phenomena to the increase in uber drivers and delivery services like doordash and grubhub.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
So glad I live where I do.

I don't think Eucharist can spread disease but I don't see how this is anyhow relevant in practice when it comes to attending services. Eucharist won't make you sick but not keeping social distance and kissing thinks can certainly make you sick.
I generally agree, although “things” are holy objects, so I struggle with that one, but fall on the side of fake kissing. It’s sad. I kiss my Pantocrator at home more now, though. Silver linings. 😊

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I even see some people wearing masks when they are alone driving their cars. In reality, they are far more likely to die of a car accident than die of the virus.
I sometimes put on a mask before I start driving if it is a short trip to a store or gas station. It is sometimes a convenience. I am assuming that you are saying that the risk of dying due to wearing a mask while you are driving alone in a car is less that that of driving. I initially misinterpreted what you wrote and I was perplexed by the fact that it would take 40 or more years of driving to equal this past years deaths due to Covid.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
I know where I live. It's mandatory for landscapers to ware masks on the job. I also attribute the single driver/mask wearer phenomena to the increase in uber drivers and delivery services like doordash and grubhub.
It is not mandatory where I live for people I know to shovel thir drives and mow their own lawns while wearing masks. This is a rural area and no one is outside in sight of them except deer. Yet I see people doing this.

We are dealing with massive exaggerated measures. It is like buckling your seatbelt when you plan to wait in the car for 4 hours or wearing a bike helmet to bed for a bike ride the next morning. You are far more likely to get killed in a car or bike accident than die from COVID.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
A dust mask is great when mowing the lawn, since lawnmowers spread Covid.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
I mean dust and pollen. Dust masks work pretty good for that.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
I really like people on this forum. It is kind of a balancing act making fun of overrestrictrive measures while also being nice to people who follow those overkill restrictions. I had a kind, sweet grandparent who grew up on a small farm, and rats and animal waste were serious problems that he must have had to deal with. As an adult, he lived in a house and didn't work in agriculture, but my mother years later said that he had germ phobia. I remember as a kid that he hated rats. When he drove his car I remember being in the passenger seat and he tried to hit the squirrels in the road because he considered them to be rats with fluffy tails. Ironically, having a squished squirrel on your tires parked in your garage would ironically mean that you are bringing home something in a dirtier condition than you found it.