• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Gebre Menfes Kidus

hailemaryam

Reaction score
@deusveritasest
Pls dont make 'irresponsible' comments for things you dont know very well. I am afraid, you are trying to define religion by scientific calculation, which is not possible!
This is the same case with the existence of Mose's Ark of  Covenant, in Ethiopia.
While God orders and is willing, this ancient Holy Relic to be served by only a 'Single Virgin Monk', historians make 'meaningless' comments. Shall we expose it to public and act against the will of God? OR Keep it according to God's will, and deter from pleasing the world? Even the patriarch of the Church hasn't ever seen the Mose's Ark! Because its divine will. It will be kept until the Creator did something on it, whether the world believes or not, pleased or not....!
Assume, if we expose the Ark to public museums, then there will be said,'this Ark is constructed in Ethiopia sometime, this shouldn't be the Original Ark given to Moses'.
Because, once you stop 'believing' that God could make things in the way we cant bear, then nothing stops you from commenting far into His Creations. God makes things 'abnormal' to us, because He is God, NOT HUMAN.
When we come to your comments, things won't stop from happening, whether you believe or not. The problem is with us, and not with the Spiritual System. We are far from it, and need more materialistic reasoning to believe in it. Better pray on it.

Where is the Trinity living? Is there any limited place for them to dwell? Aren't we living in God's body?
God is space, and no space beyond His body. While we assume His shape, He is 'infinite'/He is much wider than we can think !/ and hosts all creatures. What is the Size of God? Actually, His Shape is like ours. He made us in His image /Gen 1:26/
If God is that much bigger, how did He breathed into Adam's nostrils(Genesis 2:7)?
Is that a surprise, The Holy Trinity Kissed this beloved lifelong Hermit, who even heard no sin, let alone committing!

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
hailemaryam said:
@deusveritasest
Pls dont make 'irresponsible' comments for things you dont know very well. I am afraid, you are trying to define religion by scientific calculation, which is not possible!
This is the same case with the existence of Mose's Ark of  Covenant, in Ethiopia.
While God orders and is willing, this ancient Holy Relic to be served by only a 'Single Virgin Monk', historians make 'meaningless' comments. Shall we expose it to public and act against the will of God? OR Keep it according to God's will, and deter from pleasing the world? Even the patriarch of the Church hasn't ever seen the Mose's Ark! Because its divine will. It will be kept until the Creator did something on it, whether the world believes or not, pleased or not....!
Assume, if we expose the Ark to public museums, then there will be said,'this Ark is constructed in Ethiopia sometime, this shouldn't be the Original Ark given to Moses'.
Because, once you stop 'believing' that God could make things in the way we cant bear, then nothing stops you from commenting far into His Creations. God makes things 'abnormal' to us, because He is God, NOT HUMAN.
When we come to your comments, things won't stop from happening, whether you believe or not. The problem is with us, and not with the Spiritual System. We are far from it, and need more materialistic reasoning to believe in it. Better pray on it.

Where is the Trinity living? Is there any limited place for them to dwell? Aren't we living in God's body?
God is space, and no space beyond His body. While we assume His shape, He is 'infinite'/He is much wider than we can think !/ and hosts all creatures. What is the Size of God? Actually, His Shape is like ours. He made us in His image /Gen 1:26/
If God is that much bigger, how did He breathed into Adam's nostrils(Genesis 2:7)?
Is that a surprise, The Holy Trinity Kissed this beloved lifelong Hermit, who even heard no sin, let alone committing!

Well said HaileMaryam!

Selam

Michał

High Elder
Reaction score
Gorazd said:
Michał said:
It's not about historical facts. It's about theological truth.
This is what a modernist Roman Catholic professor told me about the virginity of Mary...

I think it is really dangerous to introduce that kind of distinction.
So if we have, say, three Vitae of one saint (I'm not writing about any particular one) and we know that they were written a couple hundreds of years after his death, and that they were based on some recognizable myths and legends, and that they contradict each other, we are still to believe that they contain historical facts?

(Edited for style and spelling.)

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Michał said:
Gorazd said:
Michał said:
This is what a modernist Roman Catholic professor told me about the virginity of Mary...

So if we have, say, three Vitae of one saint (I'm not writing about any particular one) and we know that they were written a couple hundreds of years after his death, and that they were based on some recogizable myths and legends, and that they condtradict each other, we are still to believe them as being about historical facts?
Seems easier to believe than accepting something that ostensibley occurred "x" billion years ago as scientific fact. ;)

Selam

Gorazd

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
7 Councils
Jurisdiction
First without Equals
Michał said:
Gorazd said:
Michał said:

So if we have, say, three Vitae of one saint (I'm not writing about any particular one) and we know that they were written a couple hundreds of years after his death, and that they were based on some recognizable myths and legends, and that they contradict each other, we are still to believe that they contain historical facts?

(Edited for style and spelling.)
Since there is no dogma involved, we can leave the issue to God. But I would say it is problematic to proclaim knowledge of this being not true, how would we know it is not true? It sure transcends our experience, but is God not able to do such a thing?

And as I said, it is especially dangerous to say "historically false, theologically true", this would mean to have a theology which contradicts historical fact.

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
deusveritasest said:
Salpy said:
I'm assuming it's a figure of speech.   :)
Well then, isn't there some truth then to the contention that some of it is fantastical and not 100% literally true?
Can we literally see God when Christ taught, "Blessed are the pure in heart"?
Have not you and I been the two major proponents of the acceptance of Palamism on this forum? You should know the answer to that.  ;)

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
minasoliman said:
deusveritasest said:
Salpy said:
Well then, isn't there some truth then to the contention that some of it is fantastical and not 100% literally true?

Yes.
But not His Essence as the heretic Thomas Aquinas taught.

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
hailemaryam said:
@deusveritasest
What in the blazes are you talking about?

hailemaryam

Reaction score
Due to Geopolitical reasons, ethiopian and coptic monks share many qualities, may be not common for the rest Christendom.
/Of course the monasticism and solitary life started in Egypt by St. Antony and St. Paul - both of these are very loved in ethiopia. /
Hermits do exist even now, some of them dont see any face of mankind for rest of their lifetime.
Please read in this book, the life of Abba Marcos El-Termaki the Hermit, page 113

http://st-anthony.co.uk/media/The_Hermit_Fathers.pdf

It may help you to have the an idea about the Hermit fathers.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
deusveritasest said:
Why can't we see His essence? As a fairly new convert I don't know much about these issues so I'm honestly curious.

jah777

Archon
Reaction score
This may be considered a new topic, but the icon on the wiki page shows Gebre holding what appears to be a prayer rope.  Could someone please explain how the prayer rope is used by the Ethiopian Orthodox or the Copts and how the rope and its use may differ from what is commonly found in the Orthodox Church (Chalcedonian)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gebre_Manfas_Qeddus

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
jah777 said:
This may be considered a new topic, but the icon on the wiki page shows Gebre holding what appears to be a prayer rope.  Could someone please explain how the prayer rope is used by the Ethiopian Orthodox or the Copts and how the rope and its use may differ from what is commonly found in the Orthodox Church (Chalcedonian)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gebre_Manfas_Qeddus
You can read about it here:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,4892.0.html
Reply #13 and following.

Selam

jah777

Archon
Reaction score
[quote author=Gebre Menfes Kidus]
You can read about it here:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,4892.0.html
Reply #13 and following.

[/quote]

Thank you!

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic
deusveritasest said:
minasoliman said:
deusveritasest said:
Salpy said:
Have not you and I been the two major proponents of the acceptance of Palamism on this forum? You should know the answer to that.  ;)
Then you can understand it's not that far of a stretch to say that a saint was "kissed by the Trinity."  ;)

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
deusveritasest said:
Why can't we see His essence? As a fairly new convert I don't know much about these issues so I'm honestly curious.
Because it's infinite and thus totally transcendent.

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
deusveritasest said:
minasoliman said:
deusveritasest said:
Salpy said:
Then you can understand it's not that far of a stretch to say that a saint was "kissed by the Trinity."  ;)
I don't think that they are as comparable as you are thinking. It would have to be highly poetic language. All along I have been arguing that it cannot be literally true. Kissing is an anthropomorphic idea which is linked to the physical reality of lips. The Trinity does not literally have lips in any way (Essence or Energies) and therefore cannot literally kiss anyone in any way (Essence or Energies). For sure the Logos could because He became human. But the idea of the Trinity as a whole kissing anyone would have to be highly metaphorical.

Hiywot

Reaction score
It is true that nobody can approach or see God in His full essence. BUT whenever God wants to reveal Himself to or communicate with His saints He does it in a form which is permissible and is comprehensible to their level. This is why Jacob said “I saw God face to face” after fighting with God. This is how the patriarchs and prophets saw and met Him. And, of course, this is what He did with our holy father, Saint Gebre-Menfes-Qidus. If you examine Ethiopian hagiography, you will find even more astounding events in the lives of our saints which we never qualm about. For us, the miracles that we witness in many of our monasteries, now, in our age, are reassurances of the reality of the happenings recorded in the lives of the saints. The argument reminds me what one monk once told me: “The foolishness of faith that I have brings me more spiritual growth than the theological knowledge that I have”.

Hiywot

Hiywot

Reaction score
Following is the correct list of the 10 ranks of holiness (spiritual perfection) mentioned by Haile-Mariam, reply No. 22 above.

The Ten Ranks

The three categories of the ten ranks

I. Nits’ha siga (Purity of flesh/body)
II. Nits’ha nefs (Purity of soul)
III. Nits’ha libona (Purity of heart/mind)

I. Nits’ha siga (Purity of flesh/body)

1. Tsimawe (Stillness): loves silence, calmness, loneliness, simplicity and humility
2. Libawe (Discernment): enlightened with knowledge and understanding of mysteries
3. Ta’ime zimare (Essence of chant): loves singing, reading, and unceasing prayer

II. Nits’ha nefs (Purity of soul)

4. Anb’e (Tears): weeps with easy flowing tears
5. Kune’ne (Subjugation): body totally submits to soul and maintains this
6. Fiqir (Love): loves everyone and every creature invariably
7. Huset (Instant movement): gets anywhere instantly

III. Nits’ha libona (Purity of heart/mind)

8. Nitsa’re mela’ikt (Seeing angels): sees and hears angels and sees the works of the world above
9. Tesetmo (Sinking in light): clothed with light and with highest heavenly mysteries
10. Kewine issat (Fire): clothed with fire, sees the Holy Trinity with the eyes of the heart

Hiywot

hailemaryam

Reaction score
@ Hiywot,
Thanks very much for the details. I was not able to remember them all, I am in the wilderness, in a place where spirituality is the most detested stuff.
No books, no priests.....babylon.
Your prayers for me.

Hiywot

Reaction score
hailemaryam said:
@ Hiywot,
Thanks very much for the details. I was not able to remember them all, I am in the wilderness, in a place where spirituality is the most detested stuff.
No books, no priests.....babylon.
Your prayers for me.
Hailemariam

Thank you my brother. Please do not worry about the wilderness because what matters most is where your heart/mind is located.

Hiywot

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Hiywot said:
"...reminds me what one monk once told me: “The foolishness of faith that I have brings me more spiritual growth than the theological knowledge that I have”.

Hiywot

I love that!

Selam