• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Getting a girlfriend!

Stephen Philips

Reaction score
I wanna get a girlified. I'm 19. In High School, I ignored every hint that every hot girl gave me that she wanted me to ask her out. I want someone who shares my faith. But what do I do, try some pickup lines at church? 😂😂. Any advice?

Stinky

Reaction score
Actually, asking the old ladies for help would probably work if you are interested in a formal/ serious courtship for marriage as the goal. May God lead you within the faith. It's difficult with the times we are in. Whatever you do proceed in prayer.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hang out with girls. See how much you may have in common before even asking someone out. And practise taking no for an answer. It's a long game.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Try not to make "getting a girlfriend" a life goal at all. And learn to be friends with girls before seeing them as girlfriend material.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
If you want a girlfriend, get a girlfriend. If you want a friend, get a friend. Don't be a friend wanting a girlfriend. That's a waste of time.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Get involved with activities where you can meet nice girls, like facebook or twitter discussions. Then ask if they want to watch a divine liturgy together, you from your computer and she from hers. Then you can meet afterwards in a chat room for coffee to discuss this, that, and the apophatic. 🙃

brlon

Reaction score
Flee to the desert and live a life of repentance!

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
A desert for monastics just means an isolated place, not necessarily sand and rocks. But if you insist, go to Saskatchewan to the Athabasca sand dunes.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Never forget the saying of Abba Hezekiah: "If you will, you can become all player."

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want a girlfriend, get a girlfriend. If you want a friend, get a friend. Don't be a friend wanting a girlfriend. That's a waste of time.
I sort of get where you’re coming from, but this sounds to me like friendship doesn’t belong in a romantic relationship. Maybe I don’t know how men see it, though. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I sort of get where you’re coming from, but this sounds to me like friendship doesn’t belong in a romantic relationship. Maybe I don’t know how men see it, though. 🤷🏻‍♀️
The best relationship advice I've ever heard was 'Don't marry anyone you can't have long, involved, non-romantic conversations with, because sooner or later that's all a couple will be able to do.'

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
The best relationship advice I've ever heard was 'Don't marry anyone you can't have long, involved, non-romantic conversations with, because sooner or later that's all a couple will be able to do.'
Wisdom!