• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

'Glory to Jesus Christ'

Serge

Archon
Reaction score
Website
sergesblog.blogspot.com
Faith
Catholic
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Archdiocese of Philadelphia
FYI, for those who didn't know, this greeting ('-í-+-¦-¦-¦ -ÿ-+-ü-â-ü-â -Ñ-Ç-+-ü-é-â!'), seemingly promoted in the OCA and Ruthenian Catholic Church and popular among converts, is not a Russian Orthodox custom but is Ukrainian and perhaps specifically Ruthenian. My priest told me the Christmas greeting and response ('Christ is born!'/'-Ñ-Ç-+-ü-é-+-ü -Ç-+-¦-¦-¦-¦-é-ü-Å!', '(We) Glorify Him!'/'-í-+-¦-¦-+-é-¦ -ò-¦-+!' or Ukrainian '-í-+-¦-¦-+-+ -Ö-+-¦-+!') are likewise really a Ukrainian (and perhaps specifically Ruthenian) custom. The only greeting Russians know and use is for Pascha/Easter: 'Christ is risen!'/'-Ñ-Ç-+-ü-é-+-ü -¦-+-ü-¦-Ç-¦-ü-¦!', 'Indeed He is risen!'/'-Æ-+-+-ü-é-+-+-+-â -¦-+-ü-¦-Ç-¦-ü-¦!'.

H

Hypo-Ortho

Serge said:
FYI, for those who didn't know, this greeting ('-í-+-¦-¦-¦ -ÿ-+-ü-â-ü-â -Ñ-Ç-+-ü-é-â!'), seemingly promoted in the OCA and Ruthenian Catholic Church and popular among converts, is not a Russian Orthodox custom but is Ukrainian and perhaps specifically Ruthenian. My priest told me the Christmas greeting and response ('Christ is born!'/'-Ñ-Ç-+-ü-é-+-ü -Ç-+-¦-¦-¦-¦-é-ü-Å!', '(We) Glorify Him!'/'-í-+-¦-¦-+-é-¦ -ò-¦-+!' or Ukrainian '-í-+-¦-¦-+-+ -Ö-+-¦-+!') are likewise really a Ukrainian (and perhaps specifically Ruthenian) custom. The only greeting Russians know and use is for Pascha/Easter: 'Christ is risen!'/'-Ñ-Ç-+-ü-é-+-ü -¦-+-ü-¦-Ç-¦-ü-¦!', 'Indeed He is risen!'/'-Æ-+-+-ü-é-+-+-+-â -¦-+-ü-¦-Ç-¦-ü-¦!'.
A closely-related greeting to "Glory to Jesus Christ!" may be found among the Roman Catholic Poles. The religious Poles greet their priests and nuns with, "Niech bedzie pochwalony Jezus Chrystus!" ("Praised be Jesus Christ!") and the response given is "Na wieki wiekow, Amen!" ("For ever and ever, Amen."). Now the question is: Is the greeting "Glory to Jesus Christ!" an influence of the Ukrainians upon the Poles, or the Poles upon the Ukrainians? ;)

Hypo-Ortho

JoeZollars

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
geocities.com
now that I think about it, this practice is primarily among modern Indult Catholics who spent years among the Byzantines in refuge from the NO. Probably just a case of crosspolination, although a constructive one I might add.

Joe Zollars