• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

GO NAVY BEAT ARMY

Veniamin

Archon
Reaction score
You keep on swabbing, Navy. We'll keep on fighting.  GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY!

Veniamin

Archon
Reaction score
Army's training to fight a war; Navy's busy training to play football. 

copticorthodoxboy

High Elder
Reaction score
That game was about as exciting as watching the Patriots slaughter my Redskins last season.  The Army Navy game has been too boring with Navy dominating every year these last couple of years.  I miss the days when both teams were winless throughout the season leading up to the game; it was more exciting, no?

Simayan

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Being a Navy guy in an Army college can be tough, but at least I have something to gloat about for the next week! Hah!

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
For 3 hours on that 1st Saturday in December, the only war is between the goal posts whether in Philly, New Jersey, Baltimore or Los Angeles (past venues).  Army needs to stop showing that archaic video of a milkman being kidnapped only to be released when he's not a Midshipman.

Army hasn't had a decent football program for more than a decade.  Navy has been rejuvenated under former coach Paul Johnson and current coach Ken Niumatolo.

copticorthodoxboy

High Elder
Reaction score
Veniamin

Interesting video.  I do find it strange, however, how a bunch of soldiers who run around all day can't beat a bunch of lazy sailors on the gridiron. ;)

Shawn

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Veniamin said:
You're just upset Chuck Norris didn't do a spirit video for Navy.
Does that mean Chuck Norris is now starring on The Unit?  ;D  Can anyone say instant cancellation....

Veniamin said:
Oh, and what about this one of Army Appreciation Day at Annapolis?
I never understood the military culture, forgive me.  :angel:

copticorthodoxboy

High Elder
Reaction score
Well, it's that time of year again.  Will Army even be competitive this year? We shall see...

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
Jakub said:
Battleship vs tank...tank lost
Not necessarily. See, a battleship cannot attack a tank directly, but can only bombard, which does have the ability to reduce the tank's hit points, but not to destroy it outright. Also, the tank will regenerate its health as long as it is fortified, so the battleship has a difficult time destroying the tank by itself. Marines are very helpful in this sort of engagement, due to their Amphibious Landing ability.

On the other hand, if a battleship is in port, it, like other ships, has a defence value of 0, and therefore as long as nothing else is defending a city, the battleship will be destroyed when the city is conquered.

Cymbyz

Elder
Reaction score
Tangent:  Navy (home team yesterday) was wearing jerseys that commemorated the Marines.

copticorthodoxboy

High Elder
Reaction score
Article from Mike Wise in this morning's The Washington Post

In at least a couple of ways, Ken Niumatalolo is an interloper on the Army-Navy rivalry like the rest of us. The Midshipmen's coach grew up in Hawaii, some 5,000 miles from a game usually played in Philadelphia, in the biting cold of December. He was never an enlisted man, either, though some of the parents of kids he played with at Honolulu's Radford High School were stationed at nearby Hickam Air Force Base.

But for all but three of the past 15 years, first as an assistant and the past three years as head coach, Niumatalolo has had the privilege of being part of Army-Navy, of everything the most hallowed annual game in college football is about.

Two days before the 111th renewal of the rivalry, the Naval Academy coach actually uses the word "privileged" to describe what it's like to be in that locker room each year.

"It never changes," Niumatalolo said. "When you see them after the game and as they take off their pads for the last time, your mind quickly reflects to recruiting them and their first year as a plebe and all the ups and downs that they had.

"You're just appreciative of them because of all they've gone through. You know this is it for them. They'll be in harm's way. It's really an emotional time in the locker room after the game because it's such an emotional time. You have so much love and respect for them."

They'll be in harm's way." Think about that.

We devote many newspaper pages and television shows and radio programs complaining that another malcontent millionaire walked off with Daniel Snyder's checkbook this week, as if it's never happened before.

We hotly debate whether Cam Newton should be paid, assuming every talented college player is paid anyway.

We're enraged by whom the BCS robbed and, if we're from College Park, we complain about how Maryland was sent to run-down RFK for its postseason game while the North Carolina State team it beat in the regular season gets to bask in the sun of Orlando's Champs Sports Bowl.

Do you know what the young men from Navy and Army publicly complained about this week?

Nothing. It's the same thing they complained about last week and the week before that, when they actually could have elicited some real sympathy. The 24 seniors on the Navy football team received their deployment orders on Dec. 1, most of which contained the one locale their family and friends were bracing for: Afghanistan.

The difference between Niumatalolo and most every other college coach in the country at this level? Three players he once coached - young men he grew to know, respect and love - died serving their country.

Matt Shubzda. Ron Winchester. J.P. Blecksmith.

Shubzda, a letter-winner at Navy in 1997 when Niumatalolo was its offensive coordinator, died when his fighter jet collided with another jet during a combat exercise off the coast of California in 2002.

Winchester, a tackle who also played under Niumatalolo in the late 1990s, and Blecksmith, who completed three passes, returned two kickoffs and caught a pass in the 2001 Army-Navy game, were killed in places most of us thankfully know only from the news: Anbar province and Fallujah in Iraq.

Those battlegrounds in Iraq are about as far from Laie, Hawaii - Niumatalolo's birthplace on the windward side of the island of Oahu - as it sounds. It's why he uses the word "privileged," why postgame in the Army-Navy locker room just means more than other places.

"Part of it is, who these young men are," Niumatalolo said. "They're great kids and they come from great families. And you understand when you come here to be in the military and to serve, part of being a leader and a part of serving is being selfless.

"Sometimes you're going to be called to duty in places you don't want to go or things you may not want to do. But for the betterment of your country and for the betterment of your mission, that's what your called to do and you accept it.

And I think that - not I think, I know - that mentality has helped us win football games over guys that might be more talented than we are."

When the teams stand at attention Saturday and the national anthem becomes much more meaningful than at any other sporting event, Niumatalolo is no different from anyone in attendance: Chills rush up his spine. Every year.

"Not much I have to stay," Niumatalolo said. "All the hoopla and everything said prior to the game has already been said. If anything, we tried to get our guys a little more even keel and take the emotion out of the game and just play the game."

It's the only game that should matter this weekend, featuring unpaid athletes not on scholarship who will never see a $40 million signing bonus, who aren't worried about which bowl they're going to.

See, college football provided the greatest reward of all: it put off deployment until after December.

We should all feel as privileged as Ken Niumatalolo.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/09/AR2010120905862.html?sid%3DST2010120906329&sub=AR

GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY

copticorthodoxboy

High Elder
Reaction score
Ebenezer said:
Just enlisted in the Navy, it tops.
As did I.  Was hoping to get into OCS but from what I have read online the Navy is currently getting 50% of the needed officers from the Academy and NROTC, 40% from enlisted-to-officer programs, and 10% from OCS (right now only 1 in 5 applicants are being accepted for OCS).  I had applied in April but was non-select.  One must wait at least six months before he/she may reapply.
My rating (M.O.S.) is CTI.  Went to MEPS (at Ft. Meade) on the 6th of November and ship out to Great Lakes on the 15th of Feb. 2011 (it is going to be COLD!!!!!!!!).  After graduation, I attend the Defense Language Institute in Monterey Ca.  Hoping for Mandarin.  If not given Mandarin I will probably look into enlisted-to-officer programs and reapply for OCS after a few years as an enlisted sailor; however if I am given Mandarin I will probably stay on the enlisted side and work my way up to Master Chief.