• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

GOARCH for those who are familiar

Mercurius1

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
I belong to the Antiochians and have only really attended 2 GOARCH (America) parishes, so, I am not overly familiar with them.

My questions is, is GOARCH considered more "liberal" or modernist than the other jurisdictions? This is the impression that I get from what others have said. Having converted from Roman Catholicism, is GOARCH equivalent to modern Catholicism in their laxity, etc? 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
Mercurius1 said:
My questions is, is GOARCH considered more "liberal" or modernist than the other jurisdictions? This is the impression that I get from what others have said.
Eh, it really depends. A lot of critique of so-called modernism comes from some other modernist tendency masquerading as traditionalism. Yes, a lot of GOARCH parishes have pews, (lightly used) organs, etc. but the talismanic significance that some polemicists attach to these things is really overblown. 

Having converted from Roman Catholicism, is GOARCH equivalent to modern Catholicism in their laxity, etc?
Not at all.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Pews and chairs are in the regions that have been Orthodox 2000 years.  There are no pews in younger local Churches. Lol it even applies to Poland (southern Polandas first accepted Chtistianity and moreover in Eastern, Slavic rite and its churches have pews while other regions no).

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I go to a GOARCH parish. We're as Orthodox as anyone else.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
What has been preached, expected, and lived in the larger part of the GOA for the past number of decades suffered a significant disconnect from the Orthodoxy before it, and in cases contemporary with it. Doctrine, prayer, fasting, the sacraments, you name it. Aesthetic issues are more symptomatic of these underlying problems than anything else.

But, things are getting better because of the grassroots. I think this redirection will not be only surface-deep.

Mercurius1

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
Antonis said:
What has been preached, expected, and lived in the larger part of the GOA for the past number of decades suffered a significant disconnect from the Orthodoxy before it, and in cases contemporary with it. Doctrine, prayer, fasting, the sacraments, you name it. Aesthetic issues are more symptomatic of these underlying problems than anything else.

But, things are getting better because of the grassroots. I think this redirection will not be only surface-deep.
Thanks for that. In what ways are they getting better?

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
yes, the Greek Orthodox.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Mercurius1 said:
Antonis said:

Thanks for that. In what ways are they getting better?
To sum it up briefly, I think we are acquiring an appreciation for the Tradition, which previous generations may have been ignorant of, or worse, despised.

There is a renewed emphasis on the above that I listed, and there are a few factors in this, I think. One is the increased availability of English-language spiritual materials. It is hard to ignore the pull of such a beautiful Tradition. It speaks for itself, which is why I am confident of the positive movement of the Spirit in America.

Another factor is the arrival in America of a monastic tradition. There is no Orthodoxy without such a tradition. Even those who are uncertain about or opposed to this tradition have been unwittingly positively affected by its arrival through spiritual materials and a genuine ethos which America is sorely lacking.

I think among the youth there is a genuine desire for authenticity in faith. Formal attendance of the social club church doesn't cut it anymore. This desire is also reflected in our younger clergy, I think. The positive movement I'm talking about is definitely bottom-up, which is why I called it grassroots. Leadership is often (not always) ambivalent or even hostile to a return to the Tradition or a Faith which expects more than dues.

Again, the genuine life in Christ is the strongest magnet. Those with well-disposed hearts can't help but be attracted.