• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ

Reaction score
Hi there everyone.

Are there any sayings of the church fathers that show that when God the Father is mentioned, Jesus Christ should be mentioned as Lord or as the Son, but not as God the Son? And then when God the Father is not mentioned, that Jesus Christ can be called God the Son?

I am aware that this is the case, but I just need some church father sayings for it. Thanks.

Reaction score
I am asking for this because I am engaging with Muslims and I want them to understand that at times, “God” refers to God the Father alone, and at times towards the other divine persons in the Holy Trinity.

Shanghaiski

Merarches
Reaction score
Why would "God" refer to only one Hypostasis of the Most Holy Trinity? It seems you are making it even more confusing for them.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
I am asking for this because I am engaging with Muslims and I want them to understand that at times, “God” refers to God the Father alone, and at times towards the other divine persons in the Holy Trinity.
Good luck. It is difficult discussing Christianity with Muslims... especially if they are not open to actually "listening".
Be careful that they do not confuse you.

Tzimis

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Like the Jews, the Muslim are fixated on the oneness of god. They don't understand the trinity being one in essence, but not in person. It's not conceptual to them and they pray on Christians who don't do there actual homework, trying to confuse them.

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
It's my understanding that even the concept of God as Father would be foreign to them.