• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

God the Mother/Female Image of God Cult

JamesR

Taxiarches
Joined
Nov 4, 2011
Messages
6,924
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
24
Location
The Underground
This thread started here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,66157.0.html  -PtA


On a somewhat related note, who the heck are these "God the Mother/Female Image of God" fellows that keep harassing kids on college campuses? We don't have many Jehovah Witnesses in my neck of the woods but it's always these people who fill the void.
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,281
Reaction score
163
Points
63
Age
39
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
JamesR said:
On a somewhat related note, who the heck are these "God the Mother/Female Image of God" fellows that keep harassing kids on college campuses? We don't have many Jehovah Witnesses in my neck of the woods but it's always these people who fill the void.
Are they from NYC?  That's where all the girly men in Northern California come from, after all.
 

wgw

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 31, 2014
Messages
5,816
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
JamesR said:
On a somewhat related note, who the heck are these "God the Mother/Female Image of God" fellows that keep harassing kids on college campuses? We don't have many Jehovah Witnesses in my neck of the woods but it's always these people who fill the void.
That is the second time in as many months that I heard a report of this; the first time was on another Christian forum.  At the time I wrote it off as a fluke, a freakish heretical sect, but if this is widespread I should like more information.  Perhaps you might PM me the details or post a thread about it in RT?
 

JamesR

Taxiarches
Joined
Nov 4, 2011
Messages
6,924
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
24
Location
The Underground
wgw said:
JamesR said:
On a somewhat related note, who the heck are these "God the Mother/Female Image of God" fellows that keep harassing kids on college campuses? We don't have many Jehovah Witnesses in my neck of the woods but it's always these people who fill the void.
That is the second time in as many months that I heard a report of this; the first time was on another Christian forum.  At the time I wrote it off as a fluke, a freakish heretical sect, but if this is widespread I should like more information.  Perhaps you might PM me the details or post a thread about it in RT?
I've personally encountered them twice in the past two years and have seen them in the distance "witnessing" to others on at least a dozen occasions. The first time they were actually going door to door like Mormons and they gave their lecture about "God the Mother/Female Image of God." The second time it was on campus leaving class they approached me. Same deal. Their strategy seems to be to ask if you've read the Bible, where they then try to lead you on with questions like "then I'm sure you've noticed the female image of God" etc. The first time you encounter them they're nice and just talk before allowing you to go your separate way. The second time they become more aggressive, try arguing, and try getting you to convert or some deal. I did notice that in almost every occasion at least half of the missionaries were Black. I wonder if it's an offshoot of the Black Protestant Churches or something.
 

Friedrich

Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2015
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
27
Location
Germany
JamesR said:
wgw said:
JamesR said:
On a somewhat related note, who the heck are these "God the Mother/Female Image of God" fellows that keep harassing kids on college campuses? We don't have many Jehovah Witnesses in my neck of the woods but it's always these people who fill the void.
That is the second time in as many months that I heard a report of this; the first time was on another Christian forum.  At the time I wrote it off as a fluke, a freakish heretical sect, but if this is widespread I should like more information.  Perhaps you might PM me the details or post a thread about it in RT?
I've personally encountered them twice in the past two years and have seen them in the distance "witnessing" to others on at least a dozen occasions. The first time they were actually going door to door like Mormons and they gave their lecture about "God the Mother/Female Image of God." The second time it was on campus leaving class they approached me. Same deal. Their strategy seems to be to ask if you've read the Bible, where they then try to lead you on with questions like "then I'm sure you've noticed the female image of God" etc. The first time you encounter them they're nice and just talk before allowing you to go your separate way. The second time they become more aggressive, try arguing, and try getting you to convert or some deal. I did notice that in almost every occasion at least half of the missionaries were Black. I wonder if it's an offshoot of the Black Protestant Churches or something.
Odd, and frighteningly cultish sounding.Looks like it might be these folks:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Mission_Society_Church_of_God#God_the_Mother
 

wgw

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 31, 2014
Messages
5,816
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
This is so exciting!  ;D  A brand new heresy to catalog and analyze! 

It would be good to get a confirmation on the identity of this group.  And then to start comparing its beliefs to those documented in the Panarion.  You know, its a shame St. Epiphanius is no longer with us in a sense because, assuming he did not run out of venomous animals, I expect an additional eighteen volumes could have been filled with the lush heresiological foliage to have sprouted since the fourth century.
 

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Joined
Mar 25, 2013
Messages
3,596
Reaction score
0
Points
0
JamesR said:
On a somewhat related note, who the heck are these "God the Mother/Female Image of God" fellows that keep harassing kids on college campuses? We don't have many Jehovah Witnesses in my neck of the woods but it's always these people who fill the void.
They're simply folks living off a trust fund, having a "good time" and distracting all who young and walking around a campus.  Don't engage but if you must do so on your terms....tell them you like guns and killing but hate abortions, tell them they are possessed by deomns....tell them they are sexually dysphoric .....well, since they are living the lie, tell them lies, make up stuff, have some fun, dude! That's what they are doing....but it's best left to ignore them and walk by. Go study instead.
 

Minnesotan

Archon
Joined
Sep 14, 2014
Messages
3,329
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
31
Actually I think the "God The Mother" people might be this group. It originated in Korea in 1964. Korea seems to to be the birthplace of a lot of strange sects; the Moonies, Providence, and now this one.

The group was started by Ahn Sahng-hong as an offshoot of the Seventh-Day Adventists. Like Adventists, they are sabbatarians and iconoclastic. Ahn's group schismed into two after his death, with one group claiming that he was a teacher and the other claiming that he was God. It's the latter group that ended up expanding internationally and promoting "God The Mother" teachings worldwide.

Ahn, ironically, was rather misogynistic in how he handled the Um Sooin controversy that occurred during his lifetime. After his death, another woman began claiming to be "God the Mother" and this time her claims were accepted by a substantial portion of Ahn's followers, the portion that ended up forming the World Mission Society Church Of God. So when they talk about "God The Mother/Female Image Of God", that's who they're referring to.
 

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
8,017
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
75
Location
South Carolina
TheTrisagion said:
I have JWs show up at my house on occasion. I like talking to them because they are generally pretty respectful not condescending as some of the Baptists groups that show up every so often. I usually just direct the conversation towards the history of the Church and go from there. We have a pleasant conversation and then they leave and I go about the rest of my day.
I also like to have a pleasant conversation. That said, I do have couple of standard approaches that I hope will make them think after they leave.

The first one is when I tell them about the true Church and ask them to come and see. Then, I show them an icon and that sort of finishes the visit--it seems that icons have the same effect on JW's that a Cross would have on vampires.

The second one is to point out that the maximum number of folks going to heaven (144,000) surely has been reached a long time ago, and that I would not want to displace anyone, particularly the person I am talking to.
 

scamandrius

Merarches
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
9,377
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
44
Location
Omaha
Vanhyo said:
Ask or get a blessing from your priest first, also i think as simple layman we are not supposed to engage in such debates and usually we should give an answer only when asked.
Ok, that is ridiculous.  Granted, if you cannot hold your own in an argument, you probably should not even try, but get a blessing first?  Since when does anyone need that to debate?  So, the next time the Mormons show up, I should call my priest first and see if it is OK if I debate their "claims"?
 

scamandrius

Merarches
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
9,377
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
44
Location
Omaha
Mor Ephrem said:
JamesR said:
On a somewhat related note, who the heck are these "God the Mother/Female Image of God" fellows that keep harassing kids on college campuses? We don't have many Jehovah Witnesses in my neck of the woods but it's always these people who fill the void.
Are they from NYC?  That's where all the girly men in Northern California come from, after all.
That or Maine.
 

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
17,834
Reaction score
17
Points
38
Age
41
Location
PA, USA
scamandrius said:
Vanhyo said:
Ask or get a blessing from your priest first, also i think as simple layman we are not supposed to engage in such debates and usually we should give an answer only when asked.
Ok, that is ridiculous.  Granted, if you cannot hold your own in an argument, you probably should not even try, but get a blessing first?  Since when does anyone need that to debate?  So, the next time the Mormons show up, I should call my priest first and see if it is OK if I debate their "claims"?
Personally, I call my priest for a blessing every time I get into an argument on this forum. Oddly enough, I've been getting a strange message lately that says his phone is disconnected. I have been trying to keep up the good fight without the blessings, but it hasn't been easy. I've been thinking about paying his phone bill for him since clearly it must be upsetting him that he is not able to counsel me on such important matters.
 

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Joined
Jun 18, 2005
Messages
4,018
Reaction score
13
Points
38
Age
69
Location
Oceanside, California
wgw said:
This is so exciting!  ;D  A brand new heresy to catalog and analyze! 

It would be good to get a confirmation on the identity of this group.  And then to start comparing its beliefs to those documented in the Panarion.  You know, its a shame St. Epiphanius is no longer with us in a sense because, assuming he did not run out of venomous animals, I expect an additional eighteen volumes could have been filled with the lush heresiological foliage to have sprouted since the fourth century.

Don't get your hopes up.  "They" could be boring Lutherans (ELCA). I think there are a number of these churches in JamesR's area. Here is one:

http://www.herchurch.org/#

I think there was a church in SF kind of like this in the early 80's  except that it was run by retired dominatrices or something like that. May still be around, I haven't checked.
 

scamandrius

Merarches
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
9,377
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
44
Location
Omaha
Opus118 said:
wgw said:
This is so exciting!  ;D  A brand new heresy to catalog and analyze! 

It would be good to get a confirmation on the identity of this group.  And then to start comparing its beliefs to those documented in the Panarion.  You know, its a shame St. Epiphanius is no longer with us in a sense because, assuming he did not run out of venomous animals, I expect an additional eighteen volumes could have been filled with the lush heresiological foliage to have sprouted since the fourth century.

Don't get your hopes up.  "They" could be boring Lutherans (ELCA). I think there are a number of these churches in JamesR's area. Here is one:

http://www.herchurch.org/#

I think there was a church in SF kind of like this in the early 80's  except that it was run by retired dominatrices or something like that. May still be around, I haven't checked.
They are kooks and still around but I think even they are more mainstream than the people JamesR is describing.
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
9
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
It wouldn't be college without its assorted cults (religious or political). In my time one could not walk from one end of campus to another without being accosted by Trotskyists, Maoists, fundamentalists, and those Lyndon LaRouche people. It builds character.
 

scamandrius

Merarches
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
9,377
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
44
Location
Omaha
Iconodule said:
It wouldn't be college without its assorted cults (religious or political). In my time one could not walk from one end of campus to another without being accosted by Trotskyists, Maoists, fundamentalists, and those Lyndon LaRouche people. It builds character.
I usually laughed in these peoples' faces very hard.
 

wgw

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 31, 2014
Messages
5,816
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
On the subject of herchurch, they are a notorious example of this sort of deviance which I mentioned before on these fora in response to our ELCA member who considered becoming Orthodox a few months back.

However they lack the cult like aggression of this group, whoch might well be an abusive cult.  I really am looking forward to learning more about these people.
 

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Joined
Jun 18, 2005
Messages
4,018
Reaction score
13
Points
38
Age
69
Location
Oceanside, California
wgw said:
sg1348662 date=1445734062]
  I really am looking forward to learning more about these people.
Do you need money for transportation and lodging for at least a month, which is necessary to do an honest assessment? I think we really need to learn how to do crowdsourcing, so this is a good (or not so good) opportunity.
 

soderquj

Sr. Member
Joined
May 31, 2012
Messages
245
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Age
63
Location
Ogden, Utah
Website
Www.tgoc.ut.goarch.org
They are not the only ones look at this current topic posted by the Mormon Church and article in the SL Trib.

https://www.lds.org/topics/mother-in-heaven?lang=eng
and
http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/3094647-155/new-mormon-essays-affirm-heavenly-mother
 

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Joined
Feb 4, 2010
Messages
6,256
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
26
Location
Mesa, AZ
Iconodule said:
It wouldn't be college without its assorted cults (religious or political). In my time one could not walk from one end of campus to another without being accosted by Trotskyists, Maoists, fundamentalists, and those Lyndon LaRouche people. It builds character.
The only people who accost others at ASU's main campus are anti-abortion protesters, vegans/animal-rights people, and angry hate preachers.
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
23,388
Reaction score
114
Points
63
Age
47
Website
archiveofourown.org
I miss the weirdos who used to hang out in front of the big buildings in grad school.  :)
 

Amatorus

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 11, 2014
Messages
1,105
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Minnesotan said:
Actually I think the "God The Mother" people might be this group. It originated in Korea in 1964. Korea seems to to be the birthplace of a lot of strange sects; the Moonies, Providence, and now this one.

The group was started by Ahn Sahng-hong as an offshoot of the Seventh-Day Adventists. Like Adventists, they are sabbatarians and iconoclastic. Ahn's group schismed into two after his death, with one group claiming that he was a teacher and the other claiming that he was God. It's the latter group that ended up expanding internationally and promoting "God The Mother" teachings worldwide.

Ahn, ironically, was rather misogynistic in how he handled the Um Sooin controversy that occurred during his lifetime. After his death, another woman began claiming to be "God the Mother" and this time her claims were accepted by a substantial portion of Ahn's followers, the portion that ended up forming the World Mission Society Church Of God. So when they talk about "God The Mother/Female Image Of God", that's who they're referring to.
muh soggy knee
 
Top