• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Good dating websites for Orthodox Christians

Story

Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations? Though dating fellow Orthodox would be ideal, I am open to dating other Christians, so it does not have to specifically be an Orthodox site. Theoretically, it doesn't even have to be specifically a Christian site, though I would think it would be advisable.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
I tried eligiblegreeks.com for 3 months.  I walked away empty-handed.  :(

I think someone posted an Orthodox dating site on the singles thread in Orthodox Family Forum.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
SolEX01 said:
I think someone posted an Orthodox dating site on the singles thread in Orthodox Family Forum.
Glad I don't have deja vu for no reason.  :laugh:

I think you're referring to this post...
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,28701.msg1581557.html#msg1581557

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Ainnir said:
SolEX01 said:
Glad I don't have deja vu for no reason.  :laugh:

I think you're referring to this post...
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,28701.msg1581557.html#msg1581557
Thank you for identifying the link.  ;)

Story

Reaction score
OK, so I'm on orthodoxandsingle.com now, but apparently you have to pay for a premium membership to be able to directly message other members...which is frustrating enough that I'm barely willing to give the site much of a chance. That seems to almost defeat the point of a dating site. Maybe I will investigate it a little more, but that just seems ridiculous.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Story said:
OK, so I'm on orthodoxandsingle.com now, but apparently you have to pay for a premium membership to be able to directly message other members...which is frustrating enough that I'm barely willing to give the site much of a chance. That seems to almost defeat the point of a dating site. Maybe I will investigate it a little more, but that just seems ridiculous.
Probably don't have enough traffic to make sufficient revenue off ads, so they have to rely on (hope on?) a membership system to pay the bills?

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Story said:
Add to that the fact they encourage people to involve their priest.  I think that may turn some away. I think it would also be something the priest might be uncomfortable being involved with.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Story said:
Maybe there is a possibility to send some way to contact via gifts or one message daily or something like these? (from my experience from Polish dating websites)

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
There's the Facebook page - Orthodox Christian Singles... that has recently produced two actual engagements.  Give them a try.

Story

Reaction score
Well...I went ahead and bought a subscription to OrthodoxAndSingle since it's relatively cheap and I can afford it. I wonder how this will go.

LizaSymonenko said:
There's the Facebook page - Orthodox Christian Singles... that has recently produced two actual engagements.  Give them a try.
I appreciate the suggestion, but I try to avoid Facebook whenever possible.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
May God guide your search.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
There's the Facebook page - Orthodox Christian Singles... that has recently produced two actual engagements. Give them a try.
There have now been actual marriages that have taken place between people who have met on this FB Page. Glory be to God!!!

ilyazhito

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I'll be sure to check that out, if it still is a viable resource. Is Christian Mingle or eHarmony a better resource for an Orthodox Christian? I'm asking because Christian Mingle is specifically targeted towards Christians, but eHarmony accounts for 4% of all of US marriages, yet only has a 3.86% divorce rate on all marriages that have happened through the website.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
I'll be sure to check that out, if it still is a viable resource. Is Christian Mingle or eHarmony a better resource for an Orthodox Christian? I'm asking because Christian Mingle is specifically targeted towards Christians, but eHarmony accounts for 4% of all of US marriages, yet only has a 3.86% divorce rate on all marriages that have happened through the website.
Back when I was marriage-minded.... decades ago, I tried eHarmony. I was painfully honest in my profile, so that they would be best able to match me with someone compatible. Of the millions of men in their database, the result was "0". They were not able to find me a match. It was the writing on the wall...

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Saw a program on television that stated the analysis on certain sites were not up to a credible scientific standards. The program said there was no scientific evidence to back up claims.

zeezee

Reaction score
I recently joined Orthodox and Single, met someone, who ended up asking me for money. I didn't give him any, but he was definitely a scammer. Now I feel discouraged.

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I recently joined Orthodox and Single, met someone, who ended up asking me for money. I didn't give him any, but he was definitely a scammer. Now I feel discouraged.
Sorry to hear that.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
That happens on every single online dating platform.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good reason to stay away from them...

ilyazhito

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Now, there aren't that many viable options, at least not until wide-spread quarantine/social distancing measures end. If I don't find someone online, I'll also look through my parish and perhaps go to the 2021 or '22 St. Herman's Conference.

ilyazhito

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I found a Facebook group called Young Orthodox Christian Singles. Granted, a lot of the people are from places that are far away, but it is interesting to talk to the people there and see what they have to say. Send a request to join the group (You have to pass a screening test to see that you are between 18 and 35 years old and an adherent of a canonical Orthodox jurisdiction (or potential convert)), and hopefully you get approved. DM a woman (or man, if you are female), and see how it goes from there.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I found a Facebook group called Young Orthodox Christian Singles. Granted, a lot of the people are from places that are far away, but it is interesting to talk to the people there and see what they have to say. Send a request to join the group (You have to pass a screening test to see that you are between 18 and 35 years old and an adherent of a canonical Orthodox jurisdiction (or potential convert)), and hopefully you get approved. DM a woman (or man, if you are female), and see how it goes from there.
I think that's a group my friend (Polish Orthodox living in Poland) has joined some tiem ago. He says it's ncei jstu a disadvantage that most of members are males.