• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Gospel of Luke via St. Paul?

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Antioch
Is there any mention in church history that St Luke wrote hid Gospel by way of St. Pau's preaching?  The reason I am asking is that I was wondering if St. Irenaeus refers to this in the beginning of vol. 3 of Against the Heresies. St. Irenaeus refers to the authors of the Gospels (see below; one sentence mentions St. Mark writing his Gospel from the preaching of St. Peter (which has become common Christian knowledge) & in a followiing sentence, I wonder if the Gospel of Luke is received on St. Luke or Paul's preaching?

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0103301.htm

Matthew also issued a written Gospel among the Hebrews in their own dialect, while Peter and Paul were preaching at Rome, and laying the foundations of the Church. After their departure, Mark, the disciple and interpreter of Peter, did also hand down to us in writing what had been preached by Peter. Luke also, the companion of Paul, recorded in a book the Gospel preached by him.