• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Grant it O Lord aiteseis petitions in the litanies

FatherHLL

Archon
Reaction score
On another forum I asked a specific question and did not get an answer.  Instead a whole wide discussion opened up and the question never got answered. 

This is regard to the completion (prothesis) litany and litany before the Lord's prayer.  Most forms of the Liturgy have a repetition of the aiteseis ("grant it O Lord") petitions in both litanies.  In the GOArch (and in part the Antiochian Archdiocese I believe), both litanies are preserved but the aiteseis petitions said in the prothesis litany are not repeated in the Lord's prayer Litany.  In the CarpathoRussian Diocese, the Babarini format is followed in which only the prothesis prayer is read but not the Litany, but the Litany before the Lord's prayer is said with the aiteseis petitions.  The rest of the American dioceses have both litanies and repeat the aiteseis petitions in both litanies. 

Here is my question:

In the various autocephalous Churches, what is the official format with regard to the repetition of these petitions or with regard to varience in these litanies?  I noticed in the Church of Greece website that in the Greek, the aiteseis petions are repeated, for example, at least in the online version.  What about Romania, Bulgaria, Antioch (in Lebanon and Syria), Alexandria, and the other autocephalous churches.  Are there any that officially do not repeat the aiteseis prayers in their liturgy books or in practice? 

I know the whole history, the documents, the history of the development of liturgy, know Fr. Schmemann's point of view on the matter, etc.  I don't need any of that.  What I am looking for is facts today--are there any that approve it officially to be celebrated without the repetition of the Aiteseis petitions in one of the above manners?    How about the Church of Poland--do they follow the Carpatho-Russian practice mentioned above?  Thank you. 

arimethea

Archon
Reaction score
Are you talking about the portion of the Litany that is to only be chanted if a deacon is serving? Can you perhaps share with us the exact petitions you are talking about so that an answer might be explained easier?

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
In the Litany before the Lord's Prayer and Completion Litany there are 6 petitions which are answered Grant it, o Lord!. I have only no idea is that the thin you would like to know, because your sophisticated English has knocked me out ;)

FatherHLL

Archon
Reaction score
mike said:
In the Litany before the Lord's Prayer and Completion Litany there are 6 petitions which are answered Grant it, o Lord!. I have only no idea is that the thin you would like to know, because your sophisticated English has knocked me out ;)
Yes, that was what I was looking for.  So the Church of Poland repeats these same verses in both litanies, and both litanies exist in the liturgy as served in the Church of Poland.  Thank you Mike. 

To the rest:  are there any autocephalous Churches that do not repeat them, but only say them in one litany or the other? 

BTRAKAS

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, the petitions for which the response is, "Grant this, O Lord," are not repeated in the litany prior to the Lord's Prayer.  I don't know if this is the case throughout the Ecumenical Patriarchate, but I have a CD of the Liturgy which was produced by a parish in the Australian GOA, they too, do not repeat the petitions for which the response is "Grant this, O Lord," prior to the Lord's Prayer. (I have not heard the term "aiteseis" previously.  In reference to these petitions after the Cherubic hymn, I'm accustomed to referring to them in Greek as "ta plirotica," due to the lead petition at that part of the Liturgy, "Let us complete our prayer...," "Plirosomen...")